Suddenly I'm on 1Password 7, and can't fill things even though I'm in read only mode?

So I always do your upgrades, whenever I get a notification. Honestly, I don't think about it. I trust you guys, and when I see an update for 1Password, I just install it. So I must have just upgraded to 7, but I didn't even realize I was doing it. And now when I try to use cmd - \ to auto fill my credentials, I get a "Welcome to 1Password 7" screen instead of filled credential boxes. I've seen messages from you before (just the other day as a matter of fact) saying that you care about our workflow too much to ask us to review the app, but this has totally destroyed my workflow. I can't get in to anything without going into the app, finding the log in item, and copying and pasting each username and password. No more autofill. And now this is my night - figuring out if I want to switch to subscription, or upgrade, getting my wife upgraded since we share a vault, seeing how to get my work account to grant me a family account..... This is all stuff I need to do anyway, but not what I wanted to be worrying about right now. I was just trying to log into a website.

I love your products, and I'm happy to pay for them, but if an update has a new enough version that I'm going to grind to a halt without paying, you've got to make that more clear up front, before the upgrade. Really, really frustrating.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How did I end up on 7?

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@sdg: I hear you. Sorry for the surprise there. A lot of times when we hear from folks using older versions they say "Why wasn't I offered the upgrade?" Well, they were, but in such a way that many dismissed it and forgot about it because they never saw it again. So we didn't want to make that mistake this time, but perhaps we went too far in the other direction and made it too easy to ignore the details of the upgrade notice. :(

On the plus side, you're right that a 1Password Families membership may help simplify things for you going forward, even if there's a decision point for you now. That includes 5 family members in the base price and allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with many other benefits, like automatic offsite backup and item history, so losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data. This guide will actually take you through signing up and getting yourself setup:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you want to test drive it yourself first before getting everyone else onboard, you can setup an individual membership and then convert it to a family plan later just by inviting people:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Again, I'm sorry if this came at an inconvenient time for you, but I'm happy to help you get things setup and answer any questions along the way. Just say the word. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file