1Password 7 very slow with 12,000 items in 2 vaults

Options
jtrott
jtrott
Community Member

Previously I was using a single vault with 4500 items in there and not experiencing any speed issues.
I created a second vault and imported approx 7,500 items with associated nested tags into the second vault and have had major slow downs in 1Password every since.
Selecting the new vault results in 10 seconds of beach ball.
Unlocking is around 1 minute or sometimes longer.
Selecting the first vault doesn't result in a beach ball.
Saving an item is another 30 odd seconds of beach ball in the new vault.
Launching the 1Password app is another 60 seconds of beach ball.
Not sure if it's the number of items (7500) or the number of nested tags (4266).

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @jtrott ,

We are making some performance improvements with large vaults, but we'd like to get a but more information about this one, since it shouldn't be beach-balling like that.

I'd like to get a sample from 1Password on your computer. The next time you unlock, please do the following while it is hung up:

1. Open the Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and search for "1Password mini"
    2. Select it and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    3. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.
    4. Include that file to an email to us at support+mac@agilebits.com

Please also do the above when you are selecting the second vault.

This will show us what was holding up 1Password and will hopefully tell us how to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member
    Options

Done.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

:+1:

ref: SZX-31989-618

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member
    Options

Still an issue in 7.0.3.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jtrott - I apologize for the delay in our response, we're working through a bit of a backlog here, with the near-simultaneous launch of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows. We've received your email, but I don't see the sample process attached attached that ag_kevin asked you for. Did you send it?

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member
    Options

I did, but I'll capture a new one and send again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jtrott - Can you please make sure you include the Support ID number you'll find on the automated reply from our BitBot assistant in the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it.

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your email in our inbox. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member
    Options

RRZ-98122-767

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member
    Options

And DGA-56541-888

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the legwork, @jtrott -- one of us will be with you shortly.

ref: DGA-56541-888
    ref: RRZ-98122-767

• shanesmith
    shanesmith
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello,

We are facing similar issues. Takes up to 41 seconds (just counted) trying to open 1Password 7 Mini on Google Chrome after successfully entering the master password.

Previously on 1Password 6 Mini, it would take around 2-3 seconds. The main 1Password 7 app is also pretty slow, but not as bad as 1Password 7 Mini when opening up from the password lock.

For comparison to the above, I have 469 items in 9 vaults - nothing even close to the 12,000 mentioned by the OP. Yet experiencing similar problems with unlocking. I can understand that if I'm seeing this with ~470, he'd definitely be getting 1 minute or more with 12k!

My 469 items consist of:

• 1 Vault (local on Dropbox) has 418 items.
    • 8 Vaults (team subscription) have 51 items in total.

I should also mention that one of the items in the team vault has 388 website domains linked to it. I have noticed the biggest slowness when opening a site that matches one of these domains.

Other members of my team are experiencing the same issue. They only have around 8 vaults (+/- a few) with approximately 40-60 passwords in total. They have noticed unlocking slowness as well, but I don't have exact numbers in their case.

• macOS High Sierra (v10.13.4)
    • 1Password 7 (v7.0.4)

Have been manually checking for updates every morning, in the hope that you release an update to fix this slowness.

To add some positivity - while we really need something at least comparable to the wait times we had before - not 13-14x slower - 1Password 7 looks nice, and the team has done a great job overall with the update.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @shanesmith! Sorry for the trouble you and your team are experiencing currently. I'm not quite sure why that would be, since the number of items you mentioned certainly shouldn't cause anything near that level of delay. I myself have more than 2,000 items total (as you might imagine, with demo and testing vaults, etc), and my setup is MUCH zippier than what you're describing.

I'm starting to think you have a corrupted item or two somewhere that is potentially causing this issue, and it's in one of your vaults you share with the team, if the rest of your folks are seeing it as well. To get a better look, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#EZH-57628-799]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @shanesmith only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: EZH-57628-799

• shanesmith
    shanesmith
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Lars - I sent an email through last week, just waiting on a response. Looking forward to getting the issue resolved. Cheers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shanesmith - yep, we'll be with you as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience. :)

This discussion has been closed.