1Password X working simultaneously with 1Password application and browser add-on

Hi,

My main browser is Chrome. At home I use it on my personal Macbook with 1Password application installed. At work I have Windows laptop and I cannot install any applications, but I can add add-ons to Chrome browser on Windows. Chrome is set to synchronize all settings and add-ons between Macbook and WIndows, so if I install 1Password X on Windows laptop, it will be automatically installed on Macbook (which has 1Password installed as an application). So on Macbook Chrome I will have 1Password X and 1Password add-on from application. Will it work fine or there will be some interference between those two add-ons on Macbook?

Best regards.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Solos: You can use them both side by side. I do. A bit confusing at times for me, but no harm done. And you can always disable one or the other if needed, or put them in different spots on the toolbar to help differentiate. Cheers! :)

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member

That's great! Thanks :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome. We're here if you have any other questions! :)

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member

Though a long time user of 1Password, relatively new to Families and 1Password X. I am using both the 1P extension and the 1PX extension in Chrome (requires re-enabling 1P extension after installing 1PX). The 1P extension seems necessary to use Alfred's 1P interface, i.e. keyword 1P allows login to websites saved in 1P. 1PX has nice features, including allow this lazy user to access 1P editing (and other features) without having to move the cursor all the way to the Chrome menu bar. I don't find this confusing: Alfred allows access to specific websites regardless of what app or desktop/space I am in; 1PX allows functions while "in" the Chrome environment. However, littlebobbytales in post https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/100893/feature-request-consolidate-1passwordx-and-regular-browser-extension#latest says "We know from personal experience that having both extensions enabled at the same time can result in odd behaviour in 1Password X…" Have you experienced this? Are we talking corruption? Or the occasional quirk? Would like to keep running both.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @xmarc999,

The issue is thankfully never anything serious like corruption, the issue was not being able to sign into a 1Password account to connect it to 1Password X if the companion extension was installed and enabled. Running both at the same time is something we won't ever recommend but as long as you aren't running into any trouble then you are free to do so.

Eventually we do hope to bring tighter integration between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac. Hopefully there will be a time where you won't need both even with Alfred in the mix.

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member

Thanks! No issues so far, and it's great to have both.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.