Help please - 1P won't open existing keychain on Dropbox

twynne
twynne
Community Member
edited September 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Having upgraded one of my Macs to the MAS version (deleted the older version, then installed the new from MAS), 1P absolutely refuses to open my existing keychain (which is in a subfolder of my Dropbox folder called 1P. Instead it repeatedly creates a new keychain in the root of my Dropbox folder. I can't change the path in Preferences, and there's no option to manually select. I've tried:

- Deleting 1P, applying the terminal fix to remove extended attributes, then reinstalling. No joy.

- Deleting the keychain 1P creates in error, then double-clicking the correct keychain file in Dropbox. 1P prompts me whether to start using the selected file. I choose yes, after which 1P still opens the other file it has created.

Didn't have this problem on any other Mac I own... not sure why it's different on this one. Can anyone help please? Very frustrating behaviour!

Comments

• Hi twynne,

Because of the sandboxing technology present in 1Password 3.9, your Agile Keychain must live at ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain in order to work properly.

OFFICIAL ANSWERS: 1Password and the Mac App Store

Thanks
    Ben
  • twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    bwoodruff wrote:

Hi twynne,

Because of the sandboxing technology present in 1Password 3.9, your Agile Keychain must live at ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain in order to work properly.

OFFICIAL ANSWERS: 1Password and the Mac App Store

Thanks
    Ben

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid that can't be the case. I have already upgraded 2 other Macs and both are working fine with the MAS version and the keychain beneath ~\Dropbox\1P.

How do I fix this mess without losing my data?
  • twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    By the way, having reviewed the linked info, it only mentions that the keychain file must be in a 'fixed' folder:

"If you choose to sync your 1Password data using the free Dropbox service, the 1Password data file must live in a fixed folder of your Dropbox storage and the Dropbox folder *must be* located in your OS X account's home folder."

My keychain *is* in a fixed folder... ~/Dropbox/1P!
  • twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    And in case you don't believe me, here's the proof that the MAS version on another machine is working perfectly with the keychain in a subfolder on Dropbox...
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    Hi Tom,

Hope you don't mind Tom, your screen shot shows Tom so I figured I would use it :D

Mine also works properly within a folder mine is actually ~/Dropbox/1Password

One question for you was this a new install of 1P on this machine maybe a clean install like moving up to Lion etc which never had 1P installed before.

What I found was 1P (MAS) would properly pick up my keychain location, but only when I had previously had a version like 3.8 installed prior to installing the MAS version.

ps Its Tommy for me....
  • twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    The machine in question was a Mini that has been tasked as a 'media' machine for years, and I didn't realise but the 1P version on it was 1) quite old and 2) wasn't configured to use the Dropbox keychain file. What this doesn't explain is why the new (MAS) 1P version couldn't open the existing keychain file on Dropbox after installation (and instead insisted on creating another one!)

I got around in the end after much screwing around. I had to:

- Delete the new keychain files created by the MAS version (though unclear if this played a part) - both Dropbox and on the local machine
    - Remove the MAS version of 1P
    - Reinstall 3.8.5 (which I let upgrade to 3.8.6)
    - Reselect the existing keychain file on Dropbox
    - Remove 1P v3.8.5, retaining existing settings
    - Reinstall 1P from MAS
    (after this it still defaulted to a local file and insisted on creating a new keychain)
    - Quit 1P, delete all newly created keychain files again
    - Open from the keychain file I *want* 1P to use on Dropbox. This time it seems to have stuck.

You guys really need to work on the user experience here... this is maddening!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2011
    Tom

I have used your exact scenario in order to get one of my machines back using the Dropbox/folder keychain when I did a clean wipe. So It should work flawlessly and you should have no issues, at least I haven't.

From a post of khad's the other day he seemed to suggest that agile has listened to us and may allow folders in the future ? I dunno but until then I will use our method as you describe above in order to get back running.
    I know I will have to do it again soon as surely Apple is about ready to release 10.7.2 publicly (I am running a seed of it) So I always start fresh from a seed and do a wipe and reinstall. But I digress....

I am glad you found the method, I made an exact post about it the other day. If that was the case I was gonna link you to it :D

Anyway thanks for updating the thread. Until the next time we cross paths........
This discussion has been closed.