genuine question: What is the Watch app for?

JamesHenderson
JamesHenderson
Community Member

Hi All,

Please don't flame me, this is a genuine question. I love my Apple Watch but I am not sure how/why to use it with 1Password.

I try hard to make my passwords long and complex such that reading anything on my watch isn't practical.

What are people using it for?

thanks,
James.

1Password Version: n/a
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: n/a
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson: I can't speak for everyone, but I use 1Password on my Apple Watch most when traveling. I have my phone off, but I have useful things like a Secure Note with my itinerary and all booking info, my frequent flier accounts (Memberships), Passport, Social Security, some Credit Cards, and emergency contact info (Secure Note). The rest of the time, I've generally got a more powerful device to use 1Password -- phone, computer, tablet -- so I don't need to refer to the watch in those cases. And, come to think of it, being out for a walk without my phone some of that info is useful...in addition to being able to use Apple Pay to buy a sandwich or something. :)

And, apart from the fact that there's no web browser on the watch, you make a good point about password complexity: it's generally not practical to read and type a password from the small screen, and there's an app for that if other devices are nearby. But I do actually have my random, word-based Apple ID login credentials on my watch too in case I need to "Find My iPhone". I bet some other folks do something similar. Never hurts. ;)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

Interesting, thanks. I never thought of it for things like passport and frequent flyer accounts. I think I would normally have my iPhone with me and on when I need those things (although if abroad it may be with cellular off to avoid crazy roaming charges). I'm going to try it now for legibility etc :+1:

I do use my watch for Apple Pay whenever I can as it is so much easier (except for having to wait for the receipt - seems very backwards to have a paper receipt with Apple Pay - you should get it emailed as per Apple Stores).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting, thanks. I never thought of it for things like passport and frequent flyer accounts.

@JamesHenderson: Well, to be fair, I didn't think of it either until I needed it. :lol:

I think I would normally have my iPhone with me and on when I need those things (although if abroad it may be with cellular off to avoid crazy roaming charges). I'm going to try it now for legibility etc :+1:

I don't have to worry about cell service much anymore myself, but that's a really good point. Some folks turn off their phones when going through security out of some (not wholly unfounded) paranoia, but I do it because it means that even if I'm asked to turn it on no one can get into it without my passcode and Master Password, which are only stored in my brain. Just a precaution.

I do use my watch for Apple Pay whenever I can as it is so much easier (except for having to wait for the receipt - seems very backwards to have a paper receipt with Apple Pay - you should get it emailed as per Apple Stores).

Yes! It never occurred to me, but I agree: that would be much better! Maybe that will happen this year... :money:

This discussion has been closed.