1Password mini won't open if site presents Basic Authentication dialog in Chrome

zvymazal
zvymazal
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Hi 1Password team,

I have just ran into a problem (a possible bug) with 1Password mini. The 1Password mini window won't open if I click it's icon while a website is showing Basic HTTP Authentication dialog in Chrome/Chromium. This doesn't seem to be an issue in for example Safari. (I know there are issues with filling and saving passwords in case of this auth type but AFAIK that shouldn't prevent the mini to open).

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

I have similarly experienced 1Password Mini refusing to open (that is: not responding to the keyboard shortcut, as well as not responding to clicking on the menubar icon), even in "normal" browsing circumstances that don't involve the basic authentication prompt. I haven't found any pattern to it yet.

That said, I only learned that 7.0.2 was out based on your "1Password Version" line, so my experience with that behavior was on 7.0 and I haven't had 7.0.2 installed long enough to know if it is similarly affected.

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

As an update to this, I experienced it on 7.0.2 also (extension version: 4.7.1.90, macOS 10.12.6) and can reproduce it at will via an incognito Chrome window. If I switch to this window, press command-alt-backslash, the Mini appears. If I switch to the incognito window, press c-a-b nothing happens, nor does clicking on the menubar icon do anything

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @zvymazal! 1Password was never intended to fill into browser-based HTTPAUTH pop-ups, in case you were expecting it to do that -- it won't. However, this is indeed an issue that we're trying to track down; it works for some of us, not for others, and we're not sure just yet what might be causing it. You should be able to call up the mini and copy/paste or even drag/drop items from a Login record into the basic auth fields. If you have a chance to document under what conditions or on what sites it happens, we'd love to know more about your experiences.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mdaniel - please update to the latest version (7.0.4) and see if you're still having issues. The HTTPAUTH prompt is a known issue, but you shouldn't be having intermittent issues with the mini. In regards to Incognito mode, you'll need to make sure 1Password is allowed in Incognito mode. (in Chrome, click on More Tools > Extensions, select the 1Password extension and click Details, then make sure Allow in Incognito Mode" is toggled on.

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

In regards to Incognito mode, you'll need to make sure 1Password is allowed in Incognito mode

I think you misunderstand; I don't want to use 1Password while in Incognito mode, I just would like access to the 1P Mini. I am experiencing that pressing the 1P Mini hotkey does not cause it to appear, but that is only true for Incognito Chrome windows. If any other application on my Mac has focus, pressing the key does there right thing. I just updated to 7.0.4, and am having the exact same experience.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

This sounds as though it's related to the bug I reported in Firefox private browsing and on which AgileBits commented here.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Stephen_C - it's a good guess, but I don't think so. Having just tried incognito mode myself, 1Password behaves as it should for me, using 7.0.4. The mini pops up just as it would in an ordinary Chrome window, so I'm not sure what might be going on with @mdaniel's setup. Can you make sure you're running the latest Chrome version (and I suppose it would be worth asking what fork you're on, as well - Dev? Canary? Stable?). Also, maybe try un/re-installing the 1Password extension, verify that "Allow in Incognito Mode" is turned on in the Details view, and perhaps turn your other extensions temporarily OFF -- then let us know if the problem persists? Thanks in advance for the legwork.

• neonox
    neonox
    Community Member

I have the same issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@neonox - thanks for weighing in! :)

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

Can you make sure you're running the latest Chrome version

Freshly updated as of about an hour ago to Version 67.0.3396.79 (Official Build) (64-bit), same behavior as before

(and I suppose it would be worth asking what fork you're on, as well - Dev? Canary? Stable?)

Stable, and I would have absolutely mentioned it if I was on a unexpected build

Also, maybe try un/re-installing the 1Password extension

I did so, and same behavior.

verify that "Allow in Incognito Mode" is turned on in the Details view

I can verify that the "allow in incognito mode" is off, as I previously mentioned. I have zero interest in any extension running in my incognito window, that defeats the purpose of having incognito. Further, 1P 6 behaved correctly with the same setup.

and perhaps turn your other extensions temporarily OFF -- then let us know if the problem persists

That's further than I'm willing to go; sorry.

it's a good guess, but I don't think so

I can confirm that I experience the exact same behavior when I launch Firefox and open a private browsing window. That is: launch Firefox 60.0.2 (64-bit), and the shortcut key works as expected, then File > New Private Window, and voilà: the hot key is no longer effective.

I can also now report that clicking on the Profile icon, choosing Guest also behaves the same way (although it's entirely possible that Guest is just a renamed incognito window, since File > New Incognito Window is disabled in Guest mode)

• Hi @mdaniel. Thanks so much for the report. I have filed this issue in our internal bug tracker and we will be investigating it.

• johncip
    johncip
    Community Member

Same issue. Chrome 67.0.3396.87, extension allowed in incognito. (I have no issues in Firefox.)

It's not just basic auth, it's any browser modal. Can reproduce when 1P is my only extension.

I have to fill basic auth challenges throughout the day. I'd gotten used to 1P not handling them, but mini being blocked by modals is a whole new level of annoying.

Further, using 1P requires a lot of trust, and it worries me to know that a regression this large could have gone unnoticed or ignored during the beta.

• johncip
    johncip
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I just noticed that if I either move Chrome, or switch focus off and back on, mini becomes possible to open again. Both by clicking the menu bar or by using the keyboard shortcut.

I guess this is a smaller issue than it first appeared.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@johncip - it's certainly not ideal, and we're looking into making it more stable, but yes - you can get the mini to work reliably. I've done so repeatably here, and I'm glad you found a workaround as well. In the meantime, thanks for your patience as we work towards a more-stable solution. :)

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

I just noticed that if I either move Chrome, or switch focus off and back on, mini becomes possible to open again

That is not my experience, but I also observe that johncip doesn't experience any problem in Firefox's Private Mode, so there must be several different circumstances that trigger this behavior.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mdaniel :) :+1:

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

I have a new piece of information: the mini also fails to appear when a "Chrome App" has focus (specifically Authy)

• MrRooni
    edited June 2018

Thanks @mdaniel, I've added that to our bug report.

ref: apple-1338

This discussion has been closed.