Purchased 7 (MacOS) but new version isn't finding and updating version 6 keychain to new vault

I have 1Password 6, and store the 1Paassword keychain in dropbox. I had to wipe my MacBook Air and reinstall the OS clean. So I downloaded and purchased 1Password 7. When I got to the part about finding the old keychain, it prompted me to install Dropbox. So I download and installed dropbox, which populated the dropbox folder with the 1Password 6 keychain. However, 1Password 7 apparently can't find and update the old keychain to the new .opvault format. So what do I do?

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• I'm up and running. Apparently, I must have switched to iCloud storage. Under the other options button on the initial setup window, it gave the option to search for a vault. So I searched, and it found a vault in iCloud. Clicked on that, and boom, all my passwords are back. Apparently it would help if I had a working memory... Oh well, alls well that ends well... thanks

• Oh dear. I have a problem still. Apparently, the iCloud account was an older one - not the latest. There are clearly logins missing, and passwords not working. I changed a few passwords to the new ones, and added a few things before I realized this.

How do I know? I am using my iPhone and looking up passwords using 1Password. So, now I have two vaults, apparently - the 1 Password 6 Dropbox keychain/vault that is the current one, but inaccessible by 1Password 7. Then, I have an iCloud vault that 1 Password 7 is using.

So I need help in fixing this. I really need to convert the old 1Password6 vault to 1Password 7. Help!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@denbarth: What devices are you using 1Password on? Only the Mac? Is your current data in Dropbox?

• MacBook Air, latest OS. iPhone 5s. using dropbox to sync.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@denbarth: Thanks! You'll need to disable syncing for the vault on your iPhone (1Password Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service), then manually remove that vault from your Dropbox folder. When you enable Dropbox syncing there again, it will be using the OPVault format. Setup the Mac to use that same vault -- it should be (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password.1Password.opvault` -- and let me know how it goes. :)

• I need a bit more clarity. I see how to disable sync services on the iPhone. But when you say remove that vault from your Dropbox folder, are you speaking of the vault on the Mac or the iPhone?

If I remove the vault from the iPhone (going to the Files>Dropbox-Personal.1Passoword.agilekeychain>data>default), and then enable dropbox syncing on the iPhone again, how is the iPhone going to find the data from the old "1Password.agilekeychain" folder to "repopulate" the new OPVault? Am I at risk of loosing the data by removing it?

I also need to know how to set up the Mac. Currently Dropbox>Apps> has no existing file or folder for 1Password. How do I add "1Password.1Password.opvault" to the Dropbox>Apps folder?

Thanks for your help. This all is very opaque to me.

• I concluded until I hear from you, I'm not moving or deleting anything. So in the meanwhile, I thought I should re-enable Dropbox syncing on the iPhone. And when I tried, it won't work. It says "Error listing keychains. 1Password encountered a problem."

All this is making me very nervous.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 6

@denbarth: Thanks for your patience. Definitely best to hold off on deleting stuff when in doubt!

I need a bit more clarity. I see how to disable sync services on the iPhone. But when you say remove that vault from your Dropbox folder, are you speaking of the vault on the Mac or the iPhone?

It will be easiest on the Mac. Just drag it to the Desktop. Let Dropbox finish syncing.

If I remove the vault from the iPhone (going to the Files>Dropbox-Personal.1Passoword.agilekeychain>data>default), and then enable dropbox syncing on the iPhone again, how is the iPhone going to find the data from the old "1Password.agilekeychain" folder to "repopulate" the new OPVault? Am I at risk of loosing the data by removing it?

Nope. Don't delete it. Just get it out of Dropbox. When you re-enable sync on the iPhone, it will create a new copy of the vault in Dropbox under /Apps/1Password.1Password.opvault

I also need to know how to set up the Mac. Currently Dropbox>Apps> has no existing file or folder for 1Password. How do I add "1Password.1Password.opvault" to the Dropbox>Apps folder?Thanks for your help. This all is very opaque to me.

Select the new vault in Dropbox under /Apps/1Password.1Password.opvault to sync in 1Password for Mac too.

I concluded until I hear from you, I'm not moving or deleting anything. So in the meanwhile, I thought I should re-enable Dropbox syncing on the iPhone. And when I tried, it won't work. It says "Error listing keychains. 1Password encountered a problem." All this is making me very nervous.

"Error listing keychains" is an issue with Dropbox. For some reason, sometimes when 1Password asks for a listing of all files matching *.agilekeychain or *.opvault it gives incomplete results. If you do what I suggested above though that should work around that too, since there will be a brand new vault Dropbox can index.

ref: ZXN-64311-424

• I have updated to version 7 on my Mac. Syncing through Dropbox. Everything working well. I stopped sync on my iPhone, then reenabled through dropbox. All new password items created on my Mac show up on the iPhone, so sync is working. But...

Some things are not updating on the iPhone. For example, I changed my my apple ID password on the Mac, but on the iPhone, the password remains the old one - 1Password is not updating that record. Please advise.

Also, for some reason, the pro features has stopped working on the iPhone. When I try to restore purchase, I get an error message: "Verification failed. Your apple ID or password is incorrect." Retyping the password again, I get this message: "Failed to Restore Purchases There were no purchases associated with your apple ID. You may have made the original purchase with a different Apple ID or possibly with a family member's account." Indeed, probably my first purchase of 1Password could have been with my old apple ID, which was not an email address. So I logged out of my current apple ID on the iPhone, logged back in to the store using the old one, but I still get the error message.

So I’m stuck. Please advise.

Thanks

• Ok, I fixed it. I deleted 1Password from the iPhone, then logged into the Apple iTunes store using my old apple ID. Downloaded 1Password from the apple store. Set sync to Dropbox. It then successfully restored purchases enabling pro features. And, the new Apple ID updated to the new password. So I think I'm fully functioning.

I sure wish Apple would merge old and new Apple ID's. For whatever reason, they won't. Sigh.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the update @denbarth. Glad to hear you were able to get this sorted out. As far as I’m aware there is no mechanism to merge Apple IDs.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file