Okay, so I am trialing a 1Password account…

I have used 1Password on every platform except Android, for what seems like forever. (If "forever" = 2010 or so.) I have been very happy syncing through Dropbox all this time.

I have installed 1Password 7 on my master iMac (Sierra). I decided to "trial" the account option for 30 days. I opted NOT to sync with a vault on the agilebits cloud. My current vault's information managed to find its way there nonetheless, but I think I found the preference to turn that off, and once I'm sure I've done that I'll delete that vault entirely.

Why am I doing this at all? I had a great cross-platform standalone license for Mac and Windows, which agilebits no longer offers. I want to use the account to make sure that all my own devices (Mac and iOS, plus a Windows installation running under Fusion) can have 1Password clients.

I was a bit taken aback, however, to see that the "Purchase…" option under the Apple menu is now gone, and that 1Password considers this a registered copy.

If, at the end of the trial or some time before that, I decide I want to continue with a standalone license, how do I do that?

I am begging you, in your response, to kindly refrain from arguing for the account option. As you point out, there are customers who have this option because they know they want this, and I may be one of them.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• normskynormsky
    edited May 31

You would need to contact [email protected] so they can assist you better regarding discontinuing your trial account.

Just to let you know, AgileBits still offers Standalone app. You'll need to buy a new licenses for 1P7, though.

• Corey_CCorey_C

Team Member

@bikerbudmatt

The reason 1Password considers itself a registered copy is because you are using a 1Password membership, which includes all of the 1Password apps, no additional license needed. The reason your data ended up within the membership vaults is because that's how your data takes advantage of the benefits of the membership such as instant syncing, redundant backups, Travel Mode etc.

You can, if you want to, use a membership for licensing while retaining your data in standalone vaults, although that's not really recommended as your data would not be able to use any of the advantages of membership, but it is possible.

We also still sell standalone licenses, however those are platform-specific, so macOS and Windows would require separate licenses.

• Thanks for your response, Corey_C. I know it's difficult to refrain from promoting the membership option, and I appreciate the attempt. :)

One further question: It looks like I now have TWO different kinds of 1Password vaults: the ".agilekeychain" vault that all my devices have been happily syncing forever, and a new ".opvault" that was created by the one 1Password 7 installation that I am trialing. I don't want my iMac (with 1PW7) to go out of sync with everyone else because it is now talking to a different vault. I am not currently syncing to the "Personal" vault in Agilebits' cloud.

Is there any option for pointing my 1PW7 installation back to the Keychain vault? Or is this an irrevocable side effect of 7?

I am running under Sierra 10.12.6, with an up-to-date everything else.

Thanks!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

1Password 7 only supports syncing with OPvault, but previous versions of 1Password also support this sync format. So you can update you other devices to sync with the new OPvault file and then even if you don’t use 1Password 7 at all anywhere you’ll still be good on OPvault.

Ben

• Thanks Ben!

• @normsky

Didn't mean to overlook your comment. Thanks for the tip on discontinuing an account.

I did know the standalone license is still available. And I believe the "upgrading Mac" page has been changed to make this more clear.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You’re welcome :+1: :)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file