Sync changed from Dropbox to WLAN

caneshugga
caneshugga
Community Member

For the past several years I've been syncing 1 Password across two macs and one iPhone with a single vault stored in Dropbox.

Today I accidentally deleted some folders in Dropbox while decommissioning one of the Macs, including the folder that contained my 1Password data. Though the folder has now been restored, 1 Password on my primary mac and iPhone now indicate that they are syncing via WLAN. I never set this up:

• If 1 Password can't find Dropbox vault to sync to, does 1 Password then default to WLAN and start storing things on a local hard drive?
    (I couldn't find any documentation on this.)

• How do I connect 1 Password to Dropbox again?
    If I follow the Preferences --> Sync --> Dropbox flow on my Mac, it asks to merge vaults...
    I worry if I merge, I will end up with a bunch of duplicates or with no data at all, since I never set up 1 Password to sync locally; I've only ever used Dropbox.

• If I set up Dropbox syncing on my Mac again, how to I ensure this info also syncs with my iPhone?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox/WLAN

Comments

• caneshugga
    caneshugga
    Community Member

Anyone??

• @caneshugga,

If 1 Password can't find Dropbox vault to sync to, does 1 Password then default to WLAN and start storing things on a local hard drive?
    (I couldn't find any documentation on this.)

Dropbox and WLAN aren't mutually exclusive, its possible to have both WLAN and Dropbox sync enabled at the same time. 1Password defaults to no sync at all if it can't find the opvault or agilekeychain file. To be clear the opvault or agilekeychain file is not the primary storage of that information. Its entirely an intermediary file used to get your data from 1 copy of 1Password to another.

WLAN sync can be disabled from Preferences -> WLAN Sync if you're aren't using it.

How do I connect 1 Password to Dropbox again?
    If I follow the Preferences --> Sync --> Dropbox flow on my Mac, it asks to merge vaults...
    I worry if I merge, I will end up with a bunch of duplicates or with no data at all, since I never set up 1 Password to sync locally; I've only >ever used Dropbox.

You'll typically see the request to merge data if you created a vault on the machine in question and then pointed it at a agilekeychain/opvault file. If the vault was previously connected to this particular keychain/vault file then the merge should be clean. You may see conflicts on individual items if you edited the items locally and additional edits were made on your iPhone. But both sets of data will be kept so you can be sure you have the right data.

If I set up Dropbox syncing on my Mac again, how to I ensure this info also syncs with my iPhone?

After you finish with the Mac, you'll do a similar pointing operation on the iPhone. You'll follow the instructions on https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox//?ios to make that connection.

Rudy

• caneshugga
    caneshugga
    Community Member

Terrific. Thanks for the detailed reply, explanation, and assistance! The merge worked just fine. Though I'm thinking it might be time to end the nonsense with Dropbox and sign up for your subscription service. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@caneshugga: Dropbox is great, but it can be a bit complicated at times. I use that and 1Password.com, so if you need a hand getting either setup let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.