Windows 10 locks computer every time Chrome extension is selected

Options

My wife's Windows laptop is running Windows 10, and she has the 1Password extension installed for Google Chrome. Almost every time she clicks the extension icon to log in, it locks her out of her computer. She then has to log into Windows with her computer login/password and start the process again. Sometimes it happens right away, other times, she gets most of the way through typing her master password before it locks up. It will repeat over and over until it finally "sticks", and she can get in. Sometimes, this could be 10 times.

Needless to say, this is thoroughly frustrating, and she's tried looking all over the internet for a solution to no avail. She does IT, and this one has her stumped. We originally purchased the one-time license for Mac + Windows many years ago, but we're wondering if upgrading to the 1Password.com account will help with anything. My worry is that it still uses the same extension and won't change a thing, just where the vault is stored.

Any ideas or suggestions for this issue? We love the product, but this has been a huge headache. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @smitharc,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with it.

Am I right to understand that you are using 1Password 4 for Windows on your wife's PC? I am not sure how the behaviour your described is possible: 1Password extension should not be able to trigger your computer lock. Could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and check if the issue remain there? Please let me know.

I would totally recommend you to take a closer look at family account, which you can use with your wife. With this account you will be able to use 1Password 7 for Windows, which we are building from the ground up:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

So your extension experience will be totally different as well. Moreover, 1Password account is a great way to get 1Password for all your devices and spread the update costs out across monthly payments to make sure you stay up to date.

Let me know if you are interested. If you have any other questions, we are here for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.