Completely broken 1Password 7.0.3 (plus a fix)

Options

I have just updated to 7.0.3 and the 1Password extension simply doesn't work at all. If I try it, it tells me I must have the main app open. If I open the main app and try it, it flashes the app window into focus, then goes back to the browser but no fields are filled in. The same thing happens if I right-click on the login fields and choose 1Password.
I do not have an "Open & Fill" button in 1Password, and double-clicking on the entry flashes the browser into and then out of focus, but doesn't open the website (and obviously doesn't fill in anything).

I've also noticed that 1Password 7 has installed itself in a completely different location, and is not available from my Applications folder.

I rely on this application - all of my passwords are generated and at least 15 characters long, so they're impossible to remember - that was the whole point of using 1Password in the first place. There was absolutely NO warning that this problem existed when I upgraded, even though it's obviously been known about since v7 was released. How was this released in the first place with such a fundamental function broken? It's like releasing a browser that can't read HTML.

Browser: Chrome 67.0.3396.62 (Official Build) (64-bit) (Latest)
1Password: 7.0.3
Browser extension: 4.7.1.90
Install Location: Macintosh HD/Users//Applications/1Password 7.app . (Usually Macintosh/Applications/ )

(UPDATE) . Following the instructions for Chrome Canary appears to have worked, even though I'm not using Canary. You might want to highlight this until you fix your install procedure.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @sasilk,

Starting with 1Password 7 the application bundle, and those of the browsers you wish to use with 1Password 7 must all reside in /Applications/. 1Password 7 is now sandboxed for both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store version directly available from us. What this means is the previous sandboxing restrictions that our Mac App Store users were accustomed to now apply no matter where you download 1Password 7. The checks that 1Password 7 perform can now only be completed if the various applications reside in /Applications/. It will no longer be possible to keep 1Password in ~/Applications/ I'm afraid.

We are looking into making sure this is clear as it is possible the first versions of 1Password 7 aren't doing enough to indicate this.

• sasilk
    sasilk
    Community Member
    Options

That's odd, because it simply didn't work until I moved it (plus some other things) - now it does. I'll accept my practical experience over your theory.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My theory is based on extensive knowledge of 1Password, in particular the extension and having one of our developers literally tell me I wouldn't be able to run 1Password from ~/Applications/, something I had been doing during the internal testing for 1Password 7 because I got fed up with the authorisation prompts when 1Password 7 resided in /Applications/. 1Password 6 can exist in ~/Applications/ as it isn't sandboxed, 1Password 7 must be stored in the system-wide /Applications/ folder along with the browser if you wish to use our standard extension.

This is why we don't offer a ZIP file any more and haven't since 1Password 6.3.3. It isn't because we need to install files into various locations, 1Password is a well behaved application bundle, we do so in order to reduce the chances of somebody running 1Password from anywhere but /Applications/. The built-in updater though will update in place no matter where 1Password resides.

• Steve261
    Steve261
    Community Member
    Options

I am glad that I stumbled across this thread. I had installed 1password years ago and just updated when prompted. With 7 (Mac) it broke everything. At no point was there any information telling me that I needed to move my installation location. Perhaps the updater would give me a choice (Would you like to install in Applications, or would you like your browser extensions to break.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve261: Indeed, sorry for the trouble there. 1Password 7 is sandboxed, so "location is everything", as they say. We'll see if we can have the app inform you if you've moved it somewhere else for some reason. Thanks for the feedback!

• laural33
    laural33
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same trouble -- I click on the extension in Safari, then 1password application flashes, but nothing is filled in. This is only happening since updating to newest 1password version yesterday. I don't really understand what the fix is...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @laural33,

If you've confirmed that 1Password resides in /Applications/ then we've eliminated the most common cause I've seen with 1Password 7. To figure out why it isn't working for you I'd like to review a diagnostic report. Can you create one please and send it in. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@1password.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you can post the ticket ID here that will help us locate it and get back to you.

• jordan838
    jordan838
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to chime in too - glad I found this thread. Just updated to v7 from v6 and the Firefox extension completely broke / didn't work. There really should've been a user message about manually moving the install location because I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure it out, but everything works again now that I've moved it from the user ~/Applications/ to the main /Applications/.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jordan838: I'm sorry for the confusion there, but 1Password has always only supported installing to ~/Applications, which is why that's where the installer puts it. We can't stop people from moving it other places...but Sandboxing can stop things from working in that case. Anyway, just glad that got you back up and running. :blush:

• dctoedt
    dctoedt
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem, with both Google Chrome and Firefox. All apps are in /Applications/

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @dctoedt,

If 1Password and the browsers are all definitely residing in /Applications/ then I'd like to take a look at a diagnostic report and see if it flags whatever is happening for you. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@1password.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you can post the ticket ID here that will help us locate your diagnostic report and we'll see what we find :smile:

• dctoedt
    dctoedt
    Community Member
    Options

Problem resolved: Apparently I had an old 1Password 7 in the /Applications/ folder and the newer one in ~/Apps-downloaded/. I moved the newer one to /Applications/, which solved the problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @dctoedt,

Nice catch and I'm glad to hear things are working for you now :smile:

This discussion has been closed.