How do I get 1Password 7 to 'hit enter' after it enters my login/password to a website?

Options
Bret Linford
Bret Linford
Community Member

How do I get 1Password 7 to 'hit enter' after it enters my login/password to a website? It did it in v6 but doesn't in v7 for me. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: os x 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1p subscription

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi There Bret

Open up 1Password and, in the top menu bar, click 1Password>Preferences>Browsers. Make sure the "Automatically sign in" box is checked and, if it is, toggle it off and on a time or two to reset things.

• Bret Linford
    Bret Linford
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Corey!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bret Linford - on behalf of @Corey_C, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to assist you. :)

• heavyboots
    heavyboots
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Did this happen to break in Mojave? I don't actually even see the option for "Automatically Sign In" in the Browsers area in the current version.

Mojave 10.14.0
    Firefox 62.0.2 (64-bit)

1Password 7
    Version 7.2 (70200017)
    AgileBits Store

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with Safari. Logins don't submit automatically, and the options to do so have disappeared from the browser extension and the app itself.

macOS Mojave 10.14
    Safari Version 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9)
    1Password 7.2 from AgileBits download

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, it appears to be a limitation imposed by Apple.

• djshackesq
    djshackesq
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue in Mojave, that option is missing.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Bret Linford (and @heavyboots @pasquale and @djshackesq) -- yes. This is a limitation that's being imposed by Apple in Mojave -- though to be clear, it's one we don't disagree with. Auto-submit was always a sort of tacked-on feature. Auto-FILL should still work as it always has (in fact, it should be better than ever), but in order to accomplish auto-submit in previous versions, we had to use a small script that simulated the actual pressing of the Enter key. Apple - quite rightly, in my view - pointed out that this is the identical mechanism used by some malware to install itself -- it can't actually press return on your computer for you, so it simulates that action with a small script. In our case, it's harmless, but allowing such execute functions to be available without user confirmation or even interaction should just not be possible on a truly secure system.

This may seem like an adjustment for you, but I have to tell you I've been working with both Mojave and with this version of 1Password for a while now, and although it was a little startling, you quickly realize how little you miss it -- as well as how often it saves unintended annoying consequences from happening. Pressing the Enter key manually just isn't that much additional work, and if you're like me, you won't even have a lengthy adjustment period. Thanks for the question! :)

• jonprial
    jonprial
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Chrome and don't see the box mentioned above. All I see is "Always keep 1Password Extension Running" and "Detect new usernames and passwords...". Missing the auto enter feature... Thanks!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonprial - sorry for the confusion. Auto-submit has been removed for all users, not just those on Safari. That box no longer exists in 1Password 7 for Mac.

• goagoa
    goagoa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi team, can you look into re-enabling the auto-enter browser setting in an upcoming release? thx!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @goagoa! Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately the choice is not up to us: Apple removed the feature that allowed us to do this from macOS Mojave itself, so unless they add it back again in a future version of the operating system, 1Password won't be able to add this feature back.

• goagoa
    goagoa
    Community Member
    Options

thought so....security over functionality and convenience. thanks anyway.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@goagoa:

You never know, perhaps Apple will add this functionality back in future versions of the operating system, although we cannot count of them.

Luckily, 1Password will highlight the submit field for you after filling your data on a webpage, so in order to login you will just have to press the Enter key on your keyboard. It's not completely automated, but at least you won't have to use the mouse :)

• yawitz
    yawitz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm late to this issue (having just upgraded from 1P v6 standalone to 1P v7 subscription. While I fully understand the rationale for removing the auto-submit feature, it was still working for me in 1P v6 on Mojave (in Safari), so the explanation above doesn't seem quite right (i.e. it doesn't seem to be completely prohibited by Mojave in some circumstances).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's the difference between "prohibited" and "technically impossible". I am sorry for the hassle though. 1Password will, in most cases, leave the password field focused for you so pressing Return should work.

This discussion has been closed.