Multiple issues with 1P7 - Auto submit and now Safari extension

camerdoon
camerdoon
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

It started with auto-submit nor working - see other thread I started, and now it says to install plug in when it is installed.

1Password Version: 7.03
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Account

[Note from 1Password team: your earlier comments, along with replies, have been merged into this new discussion from: Auto-submit stopped working for all sites]

Comments

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@Lars - I am having the same issue. See

1Password Version: 7.01, 7.02
    Extension Version: 4.7.1 (tried from Developer and from Mac App Store)
    OS Version: 10.13.4
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@camerdoon - sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me where you have 1Password 7 installed (specific file path), and also whether you have any other instance of 1Password on your Mac? If you're not sure, do a Spotlight search for 1Password and see what you can find in the "Applications" type. Thanks.

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

@Lars - I'll get back to you. This did begin immediately after upgrading to 1Password 7.

• @camerdoon,

If you untick the "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords." on the browsers tab in preferences and then tick it again, does it:

1. ask you to pick a folder to install a script
    2. auto-submit when filling

Rudy

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@rudy @Lars If I have the browser "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" unchecked, 1 password mini asks me to install the script. After installing the script, and with 1P mini "Submit Logins" turned on, it presents the following dialog,

_"The file “1Password_Autosubmit.scpt” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it."

Interestingly, if the password field is already filled (with the correct data from 1P) then it never prompts you, nor does it auto submit.

• @camerdoon,

are you comfortable running terminal.app commands? it sounds to me like either the parent directory or the script itself has the wrong permissions set on it.

Rudy

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@Lars - no sign of previous version of 1P

/Applications/1Password7.app

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

@rudy - yes. I have run chmod 777 on the directory and the file, but lets go again.

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

@rudy - is there any more suggestions? I'm frustrated as probably toy are.

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

I reinstalled 1P7 and the extension issue is fixed. Still can't "auto submit"

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

@Lars - OK. I changed user accounts on the Mac (to my wife's). After a small hiccup where, like above, the system did not want to recognise the Safari extension was installed, and having to uninstall an reinstall a couple of times, "auto submit" works as advertised under her account. Still faulty under my log in. So it appear to be at the user level. Will try and clone my account to see if that fixes it.

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

@Jacob @Lars @Rudy. Thanks all for pitching in to try and resolve the issue, which I've raised in another thread and Twitter. As above, it seems to be a user level issue (not system), as another two accounts on the Mac (an existing one, and a new one) do not have the issue; mind you setting up 1P (7.03) did have hiccups where initially the extension was visible in Safari, but it did not respond initially.

I'm going to migrate the problematic account to the new account which should resolve the issue (I hope it doesn't return); any hints on how bring settings/preference/etc across would be helpful :o). In the mean time, I'll keep the old account open to see, in spare time, if I can pin point the problem.

I've migrated the whole user Library from the new working account to the problematic one, changed ownership, and permissions (to the best of my ability). Whilst this broke some other apps as I expected, it did not fix the 1P problem. :o(

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

OK. Used time machine reinstall 1P 6. "Auto Submit works", no changes from me to Library, Application Scripts, or other folder.

Upgraded to 7, and back to same symptoms, no permission to view script. No "Read Only" messages, no permission issues I can see, @Jacob @Lars @rudy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@camerdoon -- I'm sorry for both the delay in our response and the ongoing difficulties. Given that this appears to be an issue with only one user account on your Mac, I'm wondering what the issue might be, and at this point I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#HKK-92389-929]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @camerdoon only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: HKK-92389-929

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

Sorry @Lars, too late. During fault diagnosis I went down a “dark path” and messed up a heap of my apps or systems; the things I do for a great piece of software AgileBits. With my data backed up I performed a clean install of MacOS and now all seems ok. Just in the process of reinstalling but 1P 7 is all good now. As my system was always upgraded from previous versions of the operating system and 1P, it suggests to me something from past installs of 1P, other software or MacOS/OS X, carried over a permission or incompatibility that 1P7 exposed.

I do have the corrupt system backed up, and if given the time, I can look at helping you resolve this if it benefits AgileBits or your customers; given the time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@camerdoon

During fault diagnosis I went down a “dark path” and messed up a heap of my apps or systems...

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that.

With my data backed up I performed a clean install of MacOS and now all seems ok. Just in the process of reinstalling but 1P 7 is all good now.

No great loss (or hassle) without some small gain. Yay!

As my system was always upgraded from previous versions of the operating system and 1P, it suggests to me something from past installs of 1P, other software or MacOS/OS X, carried over a permission or incompatibility that 1P7 exposed.

That would be exactly what I would guess as well. I sometimes do a "nuke and pave" just to clear out all that cruft that we never see and assume is harmless...which it is...right up until it isn't any longer. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I do have the corrupt system backed up, and if given the time, I can look at helping you resolve this if it benefits AgileBits or your customers; given the time.

Maybe I'm just speaking from a place of having a ton of forum posts to answer and people to help right now, but forensically digging through an archived backup looking for a problem that a) was likely unique to whatever combination of stuff you may have had going on, on your Mac and b) doesn't exist any more seems like probably a pretty big headache for not much real-world gain. We might spend entirely too much time on it, only to discover that, yep, we found it...and it will do no one else any good, since this exact combination of circumstances is unlikely to be seen anywhere else. If it turns out we get a bunch more of these, I may change my opinion on that, but for now, I'm just glad to hear things are squared away for you. Thanks for your persistence and your patience, and welcome to the experience you were supposed to be having all along. :)

• camerdoon
    camerdoon
    Community Member

@Lars ;) Part of the game, but difficult for someone not experienced with tech.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

Autosubmit has never worked for me since installing 1Password 7.

I've tried:

• un/re-installing the extensions (Chrome & Firefox)
    • un/re-enabling 'automatically sign in ..' in 1Password prefs
    • deleting 1Password_autosubmit.scpt

Current versions:
    1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.4 (70004001) AgileBits Store
    Browsers: Chrome & Firefox
    Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
    OS Version: 10.13.5

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@crisbennett - I'm sorry to hear that; can you tell me where you have 1Password 7 installed in? Is it in your main /Applications directory? Or is it somewhere else like ~/Applications?

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

@Lars It's in /Applications. This isn't a huge deal for me as I'm not quite settled on whether I prefer autosubmit on or off (I alternate somewhat). Presumably however the issue may affect others so I thought it worth mentioning.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@crisbennett

Presumably however the issue may affect others so I thought it worth mentioning.

We've got a large enough user base that a genuine issue that's a conflict between 1Password and another app or something in our own code will definitely affect others. However, this particular one isn't one that we see a lot of, which makes me wonder whether it's something unique to your system. If you'd like us to have a closer look, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/440364#Comment_440364
    • Your forum username: @crisbennett

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars - it could easily be something idiosyncratic to my system (it's a pretty old & crufty macOS installation), but let's follow it up anyway in case it's useful.

Here's the support ID: #UTH-47384-366

• Looks like Lars responded to your email this morning. :)

ref: UTH-47384-366

• robwoodsart
    robwoodsart
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Just checking into the forum as I have the same problem. I have upgraded both a MacOS desktop machine and a MacBook to 1P7 and both have the same problem, autosubmit refuses to work despite reinstalling the Safari extension, re-enabling automatic sign in and deleting the autosubmit.scpt file. I'll generate the diagnostic report and email, but wanted to let you know this is a wider issue.

My support number is [#BBH-96884-522]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@robwoodsart -- thanks for sending that in; it's usually very helpful to get a closer look at what might be going on with someone's specific setup in a case where things aren't working like they're designed to.

...wanted to let you know this is a wider issue.

That's of course always the question: is it larger? Or is it something specific to that user's particular setup? In this case, it appears to be the latter. Looking over relevant processes reveals that you're currently running Safari 11.0.2, which was current in December of last year. Please update to 11.1.1, the current version.

...despite reinstalling the Safari extension...

This is the part that really confused me, because in looking at your diagnostics report I can see you're using version 4.6.11 of the 1Password extension for Safari. That version was released in September of 2017 and superseded in October, well before 1Password 7 was even in beta. I'm not sure how you could have deleted your old extension and reinstalled a version that old, but please remove it, restart your Mac and install the current version (4.7.1). Let us know how that goes (and make sure autosubmit is turned back on in Preferences).

ref: BBH-96884-522

• robwoodsart
    robwoodsart
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hi Lars,

Thanks for getting back on this, looks like I owe an explanation... I've been experiencing the same issue on both the desktop and laptop, absolutely no difference in symptoms. I went through the process I described on my desktop Mac and no resolution, and just hadn't been through the 'due diligence' process on the laptop, hence the mismatch in the data you saw. So I went through the update process on the laptop too this evening - no change.

However, I went and double checked every step again and here's where I get a result. I had made sure to check the 'Automatically sign in after filling user names and passwords' box, I know I'd done it, but when I went back again it was un-checked. Clicking it again evoked the dialogue to be sure the script file was installed at the correct location - and hey presto, it's working. So I went back to the desktop Mac and checked the situation there. The check box was un-checked, so I clicked it, closed the dialogue, launched Safari, tried a log-in, no dice. Back to the preferences and 'no checked dialogue'. Clicked it and there's the dialogue to ensure the script is in the correct location, and the desktop is now working as advertised too.

It seems that the first click of that dialogue is not retained, only going back and doing it again makes it stick. Does this sound familiar at all? Perhaps it will help anyone else with the same issue.

Thanks for your persistence with me.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @robwoodsart,

I'm not sure precisely what's going on but some people are experiencing what you have, that the first attempt to enable the setting doesn't stick and typically they aren't asked to save the file either. That bit is likely why the setting isn't sticking as I believe 1Password will disable the feature if the file is missing. That bit kind of makes sense, it's confusing if the option is enabled but 1Password knows damn well fine it isn't going to work but why there's no prompt the first time, that I don't know.

Thank you for having the patience to continue working through this with us. At least it seems to have ended with some level of success.

With this behind you, is 1Password working properly for you now?

This discussion has been closed.