1Password 7 mini not opening browser tab when select login record

Options
douglascayers
douglascayers
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

In the new version of the "mini" app when opened by CMD + OPTION + \, when I select a login record and press ENTER, or with my mouse hover the website property and click open and fill, then 1Password 7 is not opening a new browser tab to log in to that site if the top-domain of the URL my current browser tab is on matches the top-domain of the login record I selected, even when the two login record's websites are on different sub-domains.

In the prior version of the "mini" app, this worked beautifully, and is critically important to me because I have dozens of login records that only differ by their sub-domains and this feature is precisely why I chose 1Password over LastPass or DashLane.

Example of the problem:

Create two login records with same top-domain (e.g. example.com) but with different sub-domains.
1. Create a login record whose website is sub-domain of the main site (e.g. https://apple.example.com)
2. Create a login record whose website is another sub-domain of the main site (e.g. https://orange.example.com)
3. In Chrome browser, go to the first website (e.g. https://apple.example.com)
4. Open the 1Password 7 mini app, search for the second login record (e.g. type orange), and press ENTER.

Expectation
A new browser tab will open and 1Password 7 log in with the orange login record because the sub-domain of the website of the orange login record does not match the URL the current browser tab is on.

Actual Result
1Password 7 attempts to fill in username/password on the current browser tab.

Workaround
Open a new browser tab first, then use 1Password 7 mini.

1Password Version: Mac 7.0.3
Extension Version: Chrome 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @douglascayers! Thanks for asking about this. I just tried testing things out with 1Password.com, since 1Password accounts have their own domains if they're not individual accounts. I tried my test team account, then our internal team account, then an individual account. Selecting an item in 1Password mini and using open and fill worked as expected – it didn't try to fill the current browser tab. What browser are you using? :)

• douglascayers
    douglascayers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob,

Thanks for the follow up. I'm using Chrome browser on Mac and still having issues with the "mini" app when opened by CMD + OPTION + \.

I have a screen shot this time showing that the "mini" app is only wanting to fill in form details, not open a new tab, when the URL domains match despite that the sub-domains do not match. For sites where the domains do not match at all, then the "mini" app does show the "open & fill" option. I would like the "open & fill" option to be the behavior when the sub-domains do not match even if the top domain does match.

Thanks

• MrRooni
    Options

Hi @douglascayers , can you click on the gear menu in 1Password mini and check on the setting for "Open URLs":

I haven't be able to reproduce this problem on my end either, so let's figure out where my setup differs from yours. 🙂

• douglascayers
    douglascayers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrRooni,

I've confirmed I also have the "Open URLs in New Tab" option set to "New Tab", but for me since updating to 1Password 7 the sub-domain support to open and fill is no longer working and always offers to fill the form on the current URL =(

• MrRooni
    Options

OK @douglascayers , just to cover the "is it plugged in?" troubleshooting step, do you have other URLs in these items that do match the current subdomain?

For instance, on this one:

Is there a plain salesforce.com, a docs.salesforce.com, or a releasenotes.docs.salesforce.com URL present?

• douglascayers
    douglascayers
    Community Member
    Options

No, I have no login items, nor items with websites, whose domains are exactly:

• salesforce.com
    • docs.salesforce.com
    • releasenotes.docs.salesforce.com

The blue box [Fill] always displays and the default behavior when I press ENTER is to try and fill the page even though the sub-domains of the browser's address bar and the login item do not match.

Only workaround I know of requires either (a) typing a search term like in my screen shots then with mouse clicking the website link in the item, or (b) in the default displayed list of results, clicking the right chevron > to expand the item then with mouse clicking the website link in the item. Both workarounds require two actions and the mouse =(

I log in to these various Salesforce domains frequently, and their time out policies are short, so the extra steps of the workarounds adds up and is just... frustrating/tedious?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@douglascayers: I'm sorry for the confusion. I think there may have been a misunderstanding. Subdomains don't matter to 1Password for purposes of filling. It will only use them for purposes of prioritizing best matches. Others for the domain are still matches. And 1Password won't try to open a new tab when you're already at that site. I appreciate that it probably matters to you in this specific case, but for the vast majority of users and the vast majority of login scenarios, 1Password not offering to fill a login for a domain on a subdomain is a problem. For example, appleid.apple.com, www.apple.com, itunes.apple.com — 1Password should try to fill a login for apple.com in any of these cases, not try to open another URL. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but you can always open a new tab (⌘ T) and have 1Password go and fill the specific subdomain.domain.tld URL in any login there.

This discussion has been closed.