1Password X browser fill prompts for too many domains making impossible to use

Options

Apparently 1Password X prompts to fill passwords from all possible subdomains without even putting the record for the same domain first. So if you have 50 credentials on various subdomains of example.com, 1Password will be display all of them on foo.example.com subdomain,... and you will have to spend a LONG time trying to find which one is the one that matches the exact subdomain.

I find this issue critical as it makes UX to a level where I am ready to switch back to Chrome default password manager.

Multi-domain credentials prompts (or "wildcard") should be an optional feature not an enforced one. If I define credentials to work on *.example.com, 1Password should attempt to use them, but only then.

I tried to find ways to prevent this but it seems that I have no options to configure.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sbarnea: I'm not sure what you mean about wildcards since it sounds like that would only exacerbate the problem you're experiencing. Can you elaborate? It sounds like you have something specific in mind, so an example website might help so we're on the same page. I don't think most users want to see exact matches only for the subdomain, but we'll certainly see if there are things we can do that could help you without making the experience worse for others. Let me know. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sbarnea: Thank you for clarifying. While I don't think it's a good idea to only show matches for the subdomain, I agree it would be nice if exact matches were shown at the top. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

ref: b5x-370

• gordon3834
    gordon3834
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think 1Password should default to only matching specific subdomains, but I feel like we should be able to specify "strict" matching or something to that effect for particular logins. I'm in the same boat as the original poster. My large employer has a ton of subdomains for various services I have to interact with, all with their own logins. Whenever I attempt to login to anything, I get a list of around 20 logins and it's very annoying to try to find the correct one.

I should be able to check a box for each of these credentials that will display them only if they match the exact subdomain in the address field.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same Question.

Matching specific subdomains would be nice.

• dalton
    Options

@sbarnea: I'm sorry for the poor interactions you've had to deal with between 1Password X and Chrome's built-in password manager. Unfortunately, it seems inevitable for both to clash as they often try to accomplish the same task. In general, we recommend disabling the browser's built-in password managers in order to help folks avoid these situations.

If you're finding that 1Password X is locking too frequently, you might want to check what you currently have the lock timing set to in the Settings page (open 1Password X, click the gear icon, then click Settings). You'll also find the option to prevent 1Password X from locking entirely there.

@gordon3834, @blaxxz: Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. We'll continue to evaluate the best way to display matching items in the inline menu since there are a few opportunities here. I'm not sure if you already use this approach, but as someone who generally has quite a few Logins for each website, I often find that searching directly in the field allows me to find the right Login quickly. The nice thing about this approach is that it doesn't require any extra navigation, you just focus on the field, begin searching for the item you want, and the item list is automatically narrowed for you.

This discussion has been closed.