1P 7.0.1 Will Not Update To 7.0.3. "Cannot be open during installation"?

Mr. Laser Beam
Mr. Laser Beam
Community Member

I have 1Password 7.0.1 (which I got via the App Store). I'm trying to update it to 7.0.3, but it refuses to complete. I keep getting an error message that says "1Password 7 cannot be open during installation". I even get this error if 1Password is not, in fact, open.

The dialog box says "Click Continue to quit "1Password 7" and begin the update. The application will open when the update is complete." Clicking 'Continue' does nothing - it simply kicks me back to the same error message.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

You could try quitting 1Password 7 completely by pressing control + option + command + Q.

Stephen

• kevinthegenius
    kevinthegenius
    Community Member

control + option + command to "Quit Completely" works; but is weird that I have to do this?

• jstr
    jstr
    Community Member

The same thing happened on my install. It's definitely not intuitive that you have to "Quit Completely" to get an App Store update to go through. It wasn't until I found this post that I understood what I needed to do, it just seemed broken.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

It is, indeed a little bit wonky. 1Password updates can be a little strange sometimes due to the secure nature of the program but you are right, it is a little unintuitive. We will take a look into it.

• ryannielsen
    ryannielsen
    Community Member

FWIW, I've seen this on all of my High Sierra and Mojave installs, for all updates of 1Password 7. I never encountered this with earlier version of 1Password.

• ericmilligan
    ericmilligan
    Community Member

I've been having the same problem. This is a bug, not an unintuitive process requirement for updating. The 1 Password icon in my dock shows that the application is NOT running. So, why would I ever think that it actually IS running in the background and that an arcane key combination is required.

The first time it occurred, I used Activity Monitor to quit the 1Password processes that were running. This time, I used the control+option+command+Q key combination and it worked fine. A lot easier, but there's no way I'd have thought of this without finding it on this forum.

The fact that the problem does not seem to be widespread (only a few posts in the forum) suggests that there must be something in our systems, or perhaps other software running, that is creating a conflict? I wonder if this problem applies only to Apple Store versions of the program.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I wonder if this problem applies only to Apple Store versions of the program.

It would appear so.

Stephen

• Jkjaersgaard
    Jkjaersgaard
    Community Member

This IS a bug. The programme is not open, hence you cannot close by using Ctrl+Option+Cmd. The full reply is that you need to open the programme and then press Ctrl+Option+Cmd to close it completely. Not counterintuitive - a bug. Re-programming required.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

It's a bug indeed @Jkjaersgaard, though at the moment we're not sure if it's one on our end or one with the Mac App Store. We're looking into it. :)

• dfp
    dfp
    Community Member

Still having this problem updating to App Store version 7.07. Guys, this is getting a bit silly, isn't it?

• We’re aware the issue still exists. The difficulty is that from a technical perspective 1Password is still running, even if you don’t see the usual signs of that. That is intentional. But obviously we’d rather folks not have to jump through hoops to install updates. We’re working with Apple on a resolution.

Ben

• Charger
    Charger
    Community Member

Where are we at with Apple on resolving this Team 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're not able to discuss our communications with Apple, but if we can find a way for the App Store to quit 1Password properly to update the app we'll be glad for that. :)

• IPv6Freely
    IPv6Freely
    Community Member

I've been running into the same thing for a while and only just now bothered to google the issue. I guess it's not super surprising that you also have to kill the background process (shown in the menubar), but a bit odd that the App Store dialog won't shut the process down completely as well. It's not a big deal. Thanks, 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for chiming in on this, and for the kind words! Indeed, the oddest thing is that it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Fortunately quitting it manually works at least. :)

• Ianimitable
    Ianimitable
    Community Member

I don't know how to quit is manually as it doesn't appear to be open and the suggested fix 'control+option+command+Q' has no effect.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

@lanimitable Open the main 1Password app first, then click on "1Password 7" in the menu bar, then hold down ctrl + alt / option together and, while doing so, then click on "Quit 1Password Completely", which will now be shown at the bottom of the "1Password 7" drop down list instead of just "Quit 1Password".

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

@brenty While you work on a better solution, why not include these instructions (prominently) in the update details that are shown in the Mac App Store? That would likely save a lot of people a lot of time and confusion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FragileBits: It's not a bad suggestion, but the App Store doesn't have a mechanism for displaying an update notice of our choosing. We could do that in the website version of 1Password, but our updater doesn't have this issue. We're still no sure why the App Store has difficulty quitting 1Password on some machines (it's only ever happened to me once here).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ianimitable: Indeed, when you have 1Password open and focused (so that macOS displays its menus at the top of the screen), you can hold Control and Option to get the option to Quit 1Password Completely in the 1Password menu, or holding Control and Option when you press Command Q will have the same result. Let me know if that helps.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

the App Store doesn't have a mechanism for displaying an update notice of our choosing

@brenty Yes, it does.

You already say, for example, at the start of the latest update details: "Hello again, friends!..." and, towards the end: "1Password never prompts you for a review because...".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FragileBits: Ah the release notes. That's a fair point, but almost no one (but perhaps you and me) will ever see them, because App Store updates are by default automatic and done in the background — nothing is visible to the user.

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

@brenty Good grief, why such a big effort to stifle a good, common sense suggestion and prevent it from being implemented?

I'm sure there are plenty of other users who choose not to enable automatic installation and who prefer, as I do, to review all changes before installing updates when it best suits me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FragileBits: It's my personal preference as well, but very, very few people do that. And in order for anyone to benefit from the change you're suggesting (add instructions to the beginning of all App Store release notes to manually quit the app), they would need to be having a problem in the first place (again, this isn't the case for all App Store users), they would have to do the following:

1. Disable automatic updates for the App Store
    2. Check for updates in the App Store app
    3. Recognize the problem and read the release notes first instead of contacting us
    4. Instead of simply installing them all with "Update All", expressly view the release notes for 1Password
    5. Switch back to 1Password and quit it
    6. Switch back to the App Store again and do the update manually

Is that what you're proposing?

• Ianimitable
    Ianimitable
    Community Member

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that FragileBits's tip helped. Cheers! :)

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@brenty Honestly, I have to say that I feel you are being needlessly argumentative and resistant in response to a sensible suggestion that could help some of your customers.

If you are right that almost no-one would ever see or read the instructions in the release notes, then what harm would it do to include them anyway? None that I can see.

I am reminded of what seems to me like a similar tone in another thread (my bold):

"You can always install 1Password directly from our website if the App Store update process is causing your grief. Other than that, I'm just not sure what the alternative is. Would you prefer that 1Password not run in the background, and therefore not work in your browser when you close the window?"

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/446938/#Comment_446938

What I would prefer is that, after being prompted by the App Store to quit 1Password and agreeing to do so, the whole app quits - just as it used to do, under versions prior to 7, and the update can proceed without further intervention being required.

In the meantime, I personally think it would be helpful - to enough of your customers that it would be worthwhile - to include instructions for how to Quit 1Password Completely in the release notes.

Buy hey, it's your business - I'm just trying to offer a customer's perspective. And now wondering why I bothered.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FragileBits: Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't being argumentative. I was responding to your inquiry. I thought it would rude not to. And I also thought it may be considered rude if I offered no explanation. We'll take your suggestions under advisement. Thank you for sharing them.

• concrnd
    concrnd
    Community Member

Still happens with EVERY update, cannot update to 7.1.2 without quitting. This is very annoying. Can you fix this?

• @concrnd

It'll be fixed with the 7.2 update, which means updates subsequent to that one will not require this (but installing 7.2 will).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.