When invoking the 1P browser extension, can I control where the box appears?

Options
Mr. Laser Beam
Mr. Laser Beam
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

In previous versions of 1P, when I used the browser extension - regardless of which specific browser - the 1P box would pop up right next to the toolbar item. So after invoking 1P, I didn't have to move the mouse pointer very far to select whichever info I needed.

But now that I've updated to 1P 7, the box pops up in the middle of the screen, which often requires a fair amount of movement of the cursor. Is there a way to control exactly where, on the screen, the box will appear?

This is not a serious inconvenience - I'm just curious if this can be changed in any way.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kart_smell_bingo
    kart_smell_bingo
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with OP. The new interface is significantly less intuitive and can't be moved which often obscures the web page. I'd really like the option to revert to the previous interface.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mr. Laser Beam & @kart_smell_bingo,

The new style mini is draggable just like the old mini but is also resizable. So if you don't like it popping up in the middle of the screen it can be moved and it will remember this location for the next time it is called. You can drag the new mini using the horizontal space above the search placeholder text. You'll know you're in the right area as if you hover the cursor in the actual search field you'll see the I cursor but once you leave the actual field it returns to a normal cursor. You can then drag to your hearts content.

Does that help?

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, that worked.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:smile:

• kart_smell_bingo
    kart_smell_bingo
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thanks for telling me how to move it, but now when I switch from my 4K monitor to my regular monitor, the prompt takes up the entire screen. The old dropdown was always an appropriate size and located a consistent distance from the icon in chrome. I was also presented with options that were obvious and useful to the page I was on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kart_smell_bingo,

The new menu is resizable as well although there is a minimum size restriction based on my own testing. Something we got asked for a lot in the past was an expanded mini as people were annoyed that so much was hidden when there was so much screen space available and not being used. I would hope that we're still presenting useful items although in some places the ordering is a bit different. We'll tweak as we go along and learn more about where it works and where it isn't.

• tim_frede
    tim_frede
    Community Member
    Options

I came here with the same request. I like that it's movable, but if I'm clicking the button in Safari it should pop up under the button where I clicked. It's the same when you right click on a text field and choose 1Password, it pops up in the middle of the screen. (But I really do like just about everything else about 1Password 7 :chuffed: )

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tim_frede,

If you move 1Password mini does it not remember its last location when you next invoke it? Whether I use the button, contextual menu or keyboard shortcut it opens in the same place for me so I'm seeing consistent behaviour. Now it's personal preference of course but I would favour consistency over 1Password trying to second guess me (and getting it wrong).

• tim_frede
    tim_frede
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables (excellent username, by the way). 1Password mini will remember the location when I move it. I understand the consistency of always appearing in the same place. But I'd like the option for it to appear where I just clicked. It would be quicker and more efficient when using a mouse.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tim_frede,

It's something we can consider but getting the balance right, a balance that works for the majority of users is tricky and certainly not one I'd say we've always got right. I'm sure 1Password 7 still has a lot of refining needed though.

This discussion has been closed.