Localization in 1Password 7 (7.0.558)

Options

Hi,

in this thread

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87401/known-issues-for-1password-7-for-windows#latest

it's saying

"Template and categories are not fully localized yet but they will be in a future update after the 1Password 7.0 stable release. {OPW-1820}"

I just moved from Enpass to 1 Password 7 using MrC's converting-script (thanks to @MrC). My question now is: If you release the update, will the labels be localized automatically or do I have to edit all entries manuall?

Best regards,
Flip

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Flip76,

Thanks for writing in.

If you release the update, will the labels be localized automatically or do I have to edit all entries manuall?

That's a great question! At the moment, when the update comes, only the new items will be localized. Existing items would have to be edited. The reason is that templates are copied into new items and the items are saved as self-contained items with no external template data. So, we have a policy that we do not touch or modify user's data unless it is vital.

• Flip76
    Flip76
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

so this means I was too late to get the beta test discount and too early to get the update with the localization :-( Actually this would be a reason to switch back to my old software as I will definitely not edit 800+ items manually... Btw: modifying the system default labels doesn‘t sound like touching users data...

Regards,
    Flip

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Flip76,

Btw: modifying the system default labels doesn‘t sound like touching users data...

It is because there's no connection between the user's item and the default templates. Let me explain in a different way, when you create a new Login item, we copy the list of labels from that Login template, one of which is username. The item now has a field called username saved.

When we release that update with template localization, the default Login template for German will now have Benutzername. When you create a new Login item, we'll use Benutzername instead of username. In order for us to apply it to all Login items you have, we'll have to decrypt each item, find a field name called username (note you can add extra custom fields called username too), and then manually translate from username to Benutzername , save it and all items are now syncing to all 1Password apps. This is modifying your data.

so this means I was too late to get the beta test discount and too early to get the update with the localization :-(

Sadly, that appears to be the case. We're working on template localizations as we speak but it may take a while.

• Flip76
    Flip76
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

thanks for the detailed answer. I understand the problem is by design.

What’s the reason behind storing all “default“ labels for each record?

I guess 30% the size of a record is spent for labels which must be synced each time. Ok, nowadays almost everyone got unlimited traffic on wifi/cable network but while abroad in foreign countries you mainly have volume based traveller sim cards. Apart from data traffic, you might have slow mobile network and each kbyte you don‘t need to sync saves time...

Wouldn‘t it be better to seperate field labels from user data? Wouldn‘t it be better to let customers create their own templates?

Talking about templates... Some countries using different data for items - e. g. driver license: By default there are fields called „expiry date“, „state“ and „country“. In Germany for example, a driver license will not expire (beside from truck driver license) but instead you have „issue date“ and „issuing authority“. So when talking about localization, will you introduce those country specific „default“ fields too?

I really don‘t wanna bother you! You did a great piece of software! This are just some thoughts I did years ago when I had to implement localization for different applications...

Regards,
    Flip

• Flip76
    Flip76
    Community Member
    Options

Oh one more thought...

I don't know about 1Password Teams but I think the behaviour is similar? So when having a multilingual team like we do (Germany, India, Russia, US, etc.). If a team member is choosing russian as his default language, the default field labels would be in russian language for all team members?

• @Flip76: You've essentially brought up several things we are having to think about as we implement localization. At this point, we've yet to decide exactly how to handle it, in no small part due to the challenges presented by sync and disparate language settings each person accessing a vault might use. As Mike mentioned, the value for any given field must never be changed (obviously, if your password is Katze, cat will not work to sign into your account), but what field label is displayed in your app won't have the same effect. The field label and its language may be relevant elsewhere, though (field names are used to inform filling choices, for example), so that's another wrinkle when syncing between languages and localizing templates generally. It's more complicated than it may seem on the surface, which is one reason we're kind of vague about how this is all going work. We need to be careful and deliberate about how we localize templates and think ahead to make sure we don't create problems along the way and we just don't have all of the whys and wherefores worked out just yet.

As for custom templates, that's actually available in beta for 1Password Business specifically. I don't know whether it will expand beyond that if and when the feature makes it out of beta, but variations in how different countries address specific items with templates may be reason to consider doing so. Completely changing the types of fields available based upon localization creates a lot of potential trouble of its own. Custom templates seem a better solution for that on the surface, but again, it's something that will require a fair bit of thought and consideration. For the moment, we don't have any plans for regionally altered default templates at all, and I'd wager we'll need to finish up work on custom templates and decide what our plans are for them before we consider introducing any additional defaults – regional or otherwise.

• Flip76
    Flip76
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate

thanks for joining this discussion. Of course field values should never change as they contain user-specific data. Imho field labels can change as they doesn't have any impact to user-data. The only exception I see is for login-items - but 1Password is already storing the field labels / field values which are needed for form filling seperately (Web form details). So I guess, changing username and password in a login item will only update the web form details right? I also guess that you store the website's internal field names (e. g. input type/name) and not the field labels which are visible on the site. If so, you don't need to care about localization here.

I just adopted a database schema which I created for a customer of mine:

This is only an example how it could work as I don't know the internal structure of 1Password in detail. The "GLOBAL"-area could be used for GUI-translation (e. g. when you click "+" for adding a new item). The localization for user-labels in "VAULT" is all done by the table "TEMPLATE_LANGUAGE_RELATION" - so when displaying localized field labels, simply display the field "LABEL" from "TEMPLATE_LANGUAGE_RELATION". For form processing you can use the "INTERNAL_FIELD_NAME" in "TEMPLATE". The only restriction in this schema is "custom user fields" which can't be automatically translated - but if a User wants to add localization to "custom user fields", he could modify the template and add the fields there.

Again: With my post I don't wanna bother or blame anybody. As a beta tester I just to try to give some input to help getting the best out of the software (for others and myself).

Have a nice weekend,

Flip

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Flip76,

Thank you so much for participating in the discussion and sharing your thoughts! We really appreciate it. Moreover, I will make sure to pass your schema and ideas to our team, so we could have an internal discussion. Thanks again!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.