1Password 7 Is Not Prompting for License Purchase Upon Launch As It Should

Joe Foerster
Joe Foerster
Community Member

I have a standalone license because I'm not a believer in subscription software. So according to the announcement, I should be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Nope. Instead, I see a screen that wants me to log in. What's extra fun is there is a very small area where it seems to want me to click if I need to "Create a 1Password account or find your data elsewhere". Clicking it does nothing but make the screen move a little. I haven't even thought about how much fun the IOS version might be to upgrade yet.

From some of the issues I'm seeing posted here, I realize I'm going to remove version 7 from my system and forget about upgrading. Even though I've been a user of 1Password since version 4 and have a license for Mac, Windows and IOS for multiple users/family, I am not feeling the love here and certainly not feeling the product is no longer developed with stand-alone users in mind. You guys want your subscription and are apparently trying to force users like me in that direction. I'm not having it. If you want to keep me as a customer at all, and as a brand ambassador to other users that ask me about the product, this thing needs fixing and standalone license users need full respect. I am extremely disappointed with this situation.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

It has been something of a trial to get to the standalone licence purchase provisions when installing 1Password 7 (as a standalone user myself)—through various iterations of that startup screen. However, you should still be able to buy a licence (if you want) by going to the 1Password 7 menu. There is an option in that menu to purchase a licence.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Welcome to the forum, @Joe Foerster! Sorry for the confusion around making a license purchase.

I haven't even thought about how much fun the IOS version might be to upgrade yet.

Unless you're considerably behind in updates, you've already done that one. :) 1Password for iOS has been on version 7 since November of last year, and was a free upgrade (no additional purchase required to download). What version are you running?

I should be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Nope. Instead, I see a screen that wants me to log in.

If you're interested in getting this squared away, would you mind including a screenshot of what you see, so we have a better idea of where you are and how we might best get things straightened out?

Even though I've been a user of 1Password since version 4 and have a license for Mac, Windows and IOS for multiple users/family, I am not feeling the love here...

I'm sorry the upgrade process has made you feel that way; it certainly wasn't our intention, and we'd love to help you fix what's wrong.

You guys want your subscription and are apparently trying to force users like me in that direction.

If that were true, we'd have simply stopped selling standalone licenses and left users with no choice. We sell licenses for version 7 because we know a subset of our users prefer them. They're available and supported; we don't simply "want our subscription." But we've made no bones about being clear that 1password.com is indeed the most flexible and secure way to use 1Password for the vast majority of our users.

If you want to keep me as a customer at all...

We'd be sorry to see you go, and as I mentioned earlier, I hope we can assist you in righting the problems you've had in getting upgraded so far. Depending on what kind of state 1Password 7 is in on your Mac, you may be able to follow @Stephen_C's advice. But I won't know that until I get a little more information from you about what the state of things is on your Mac. Can you tell me: do you have only 1Password 7 installed right now? Or are you running versions 6 and 7 side-by-side.

This discussion has been closed.