To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Exporting from online vault (1password 7/X)

Options
Dukat
Dukat
Community Member

Is it possible to backup the online vault to an offline file the way you can with the stand alone / dropbox sync version of 1password?
.. or at least export the data in a way that will preserve formatting/attachments (txt/csv will not) so that if I decided to go back to a stand alone / dropbox sync version of 1Password in Windows/Mac I could import the data and not loose anything in the process?

The new online version looks nice but I'm nervous moving away from how I managed my Windows, Mac, iPad and iPhone installs all these years. Feels like I'd be giving up control. I'd be happy to stay with the local versions but I don't want to buy 4 versions all over again. :)

Thanks for your input.

1Password Version: 7 / X
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10, OSX, iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @Dukat

Yes, the Export function (File>Export) still works the same as it always has. Do be aware that exported data files are not encrypted and, as such, must be protected.

You say you are nervous about switching over to a membership. Can you elaborate on what exactly is making you nervous? Perhaps we can help ease the nervousness. :)

• Dukat
    Dukat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Cory,

I can't find the File menu option.
    I see, '1Password' 'Accounts' 'View' 'Item' 'Help'.
    There is no 'File' option under any of the drop-downs. Currently running version 7.0.557.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dukat: It sounds like you're referring to the Windows version now. Corey was talking about the Mac version. You can find it in the 1Password menu. But since it sounds like you're using the Mac version as well, I'd recommend that since it has more advanced export options currently. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Dukat
    Dukat
    Community Member
    Options

Installed the Mac version and I do see the option now. Thank you!

• PackDude
    PackDude
    Community Member
    Options

You say you are nervous about switching over to a membership. Can you elaborate on what exactly is making you nervous? Perhaps we can help ease the nervousness.

One of the things I've got concerns about is having my vault stored on someone else's cloud. Your website says that the vault will be available to access, even if you stop your subscription, but how long does that last?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dukat: Great! Glad that helped. We're here if you need anything else. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

One of the things I've got concerns about is having my vault stored on someone else's cloud.

@PackDude: That's not only reasonable, it's something we're concerned about as well. After all, we store data in the "cloud" too! We've designed 1Password.com with that in mind: the server only receives and stores data which was encrypted locally on your device before being transmitted; and the "keys" to decrypt that data are never sent to us. So, quite literally, you're the only one who can access it, as even an attacker who steals the database from us will not have the means to decrypt it.

Your website says that the vault will be available to access, even if you stop your subscription, but how long does that last?

It isn't to be considered long-term storage, if that's what you mean; but even of your account is frozen because your subscription lapses, you can still access your data as read-only to export it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.