Sep 16 '11 $19.99 -> $49.99
Sep 07 '11 $19.99

Comments

• Kampf Katze
    Kampf Katze
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    Now I'm more than angry.

I post it in the past on this board, that I didn't like step who agilebits start with the MAS only distribution. In the meantime I found the real reason why they are Lion only... Found on the developer page of Espresso 2 -> http://macrabbit.com/espresso/faq/

Will Espresso 2 be released in the Mac App Store?

For technical reasons, we have not yet published Espresso to the Mac App Store. Our goal is to get Espresso into the Mac App Store for one of the future 2.x releases, but it is currently not our top priority. Please note that the Mac App Store version will require Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

AND some statements from agilebits around an announce to increase the price (Original:http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8048-1password-only-from-app-store/page__st__400__p__47946#entry47946):
    bwoodruff, on 11 September 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

We can't say when the deadline for purchasing at a discount is because we don't know. The decision has not been made yet. When the decision has been made, I promise we will post a tweet to our twitter account 24 hours before the discount is discontinued. http://twitter.com/#!/1password
    That's the best I can offer at the moment.

Can someone show me on the named twitter feed an announce that they drop the price? I didn't found it. I only found a "Yes, the introductory sale ended yesterday."
  • I'm sorry for the confusion, Kampf, it was totally my fault for the miscommunication. I originally told the team that we'd pre-announce when changing the price from $19.99. We did announce that change, which was my plan. My plan also assumed we'd go straight to $49.99, but Roustem wanted to raise the price in two steps instead of one, and I did not announce the second price change. This was doubly confusing as we continued to call the $24.99 an "introductory price", which was wrong as that price had already expired. I'm sorry.

As for "the real reason why they are Lion only", I'm not sure I'm following your logic. The Mac App Store supports Snow Leopard, so the Mac App Store did not give us an "excuse" to drop Snow Leopard. With that said, in order to be accepted to the Mac App Store, we needed to completely change several internal mechanisms on how 1Password works. During this change we decided to use some features that are only available in Lion. It was the use of these Lion APIs that forced us to make the Mac App Store version Lion only.

Regarding the decision to go Mac App Store only, we've already discussed this at length in many other threads so I don't want to rehash everything here. Suffice it to say that we really enjoy the simplicity the Mac App Store will provide and believe it will allow us to spend more time on making 1Password better instead of maintaining servers. With that said, no decision is final and we are continuing to evaluate the situation.

I hope that helps shed some light on our reasoning, and again, I'm sorry about the pricing confusion.
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Some unsolicited advice...I'd suggest you all stop hedging with the "no decision is final" verbiage.

You clearly aren't going to maintain two different code branches forever and have already promised all MAS customers a 4.0 version as part of their purchase. The 3.9 branch uses APIs unavailable to the 3.8.x branch.

4.0 would have to give up some of those features if it were to revert to your webstore AND you would then have to figure someway to have all folks who were running the MAS branch to get free copies of the webstore version for 4.x. A disastrously huge mess. You think you spend time now on license management, just try to get through that gordian knot.

So, you made a decision, it's pissed off some folks. It's encouraged other folks to jump and "pre buy" 4.x. Lean forward guys and just weather the storm of disaffected 3.8.x branch folks, but equivocating on your decision doesn't, IMO, help anyone.

When Apple put a bullet in the floppy drive, they never looked back. You shot the web store 1P and articulated your reasons...let's move on.
  • I think you make an excellent point The Doctor. We try to stay as flexible as possible but realize there are time we will have to stand firm.

The plan going forward is to be MAS-only. Period.

Thanks!
  • Paranoid wrote:

The arrogance of your postings seems to increase proportional with the MAS price of 1Password.

It is certainly not my, or our, intention to come across as arrogant. I apologize if it seems we have been.
  • Kampf Katze
    Kampf Katze
    Community Member
    Anyway... For the price of 40 Euros (german store) I didn't buy an upgrade as a full priced "new application" as an existing customer. You didn't communicate it correctly and now a lot of users are angry. It looks not like that you feeling a bit bad or that you will deliver a solution for your mistakes at this point.

On the other side I'm very sure that your next deal will come soon. In the past you do it over and over again. BUT I hope that you will found a better way to communicate with existing customers in the future. Twitter (or Facebook and all the other social networks) is btw. not the only way to go in contact with us. For example I got mails from you in the past around new news for 1PW.
    At this moment I only see, that you try to cache some money. Sorry that I need to say this, but this are the facts at this moment. I hope the good company behind 1Password will came back soon.
  • Jerm
    Jerm
    Community Member
    edited October 2011
    Hello. I am currently using 1Password 3.8. I just became aware of Agile's decision to exclusively sell 1Password in the Mac App Store today. I immediately made the decision to purchase the Mac App Store version because I value your product and want to see you paid for your hard work. However, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the 49.99 price point. This price is far too high for someone like me who wants to upgrade his existing copy. I understand that you had special introductory pricing for a limited time to alleviate this issue. However, I was unaware any of this was going on. I have read your statements that 1Password 3.8 will continue to be updated but right now users like me do not have an acceptable upgrade path to 1Password 4.0.

I will keep an eye on the 1Password pricing on the Mac App Store and purchase version 3.9 (or 4.0) when/if it drops to a more reasonable level for someone who wants to upgrade their existing version. I can't justify paying full price for an application that I already own.

I use your product all the time and have recommended it to friends but I am disappointed in how this transition has been handled. I wish this decision had been more clearly and directly communicated to your customers. Thanks.
  • mctavish
    mctavish
    Community Member
    I want to echo Jerm's post. I've been using 1Password since I began switching to Mac two years ago. Currently, I have version 3.8.7. It was only yesterday, while browsing the Macworld website, that I became aware that 3.9 was available through the MAS, that in the future 1Password would only be available through the MAS, that the price was only $20, and that it would include the upgrade to 4.0. Sounded like a fair deal. So today I opened the MAS - and Whoa! - found that the price was $50 for the upgrade (and for new users). You're saying that there may be another sale. Well, Facebook and Twitter aren't really my thing, so I'm likely to miss the next sale too. This isn't right.
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    I’ve always defended Agile and probably “sold” over 100 copies by recommendation but in this case I thing their pricing, and the way they implemented it, is just plain wrong. :@
  • Yep, after being on the road much of September, I finally got to go through a lot of my emails yesterday (such as Agilebits' email announcement of MAS upgrade and promo price). Went this morning to make the jump and lo and behold, NOT $20 anymore but now $49.99. Very bad Agilebits, very bad. I had bought the family license of 1Password, the iPad and iPhone versions and now if I want to move forward, I have to plunk down another $50? I was hesitant to put down $20 (but was going to do it because I love this app) to upgrade via MAS but as much as I love this software, I'm not forking out another $50. I am far from believing a company should always provide free upgrades but this quick price change before many of us registered and loyal users could take advantage is disappointing. What a shame.
  • mctavish
    mctavish
    Community Member
    I didn't even get email notification.
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    mctavish wrote:

I didn't even get email notification.

Don’t feel bad, Nobody did.
  • =RS=
    =RS=
    Community Member
    What kind of customer care is this?
    I am one of those "victims", too. Bad....
  • mixture
    mixture
    Community Member
    edited October 2011
    WHY CAN'T AGILE PUT THE MAS PRICE BACK TO $19.99 AND SEND A NEWSLETTER EMAIL TO ALL CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR EMAIL.

THEN KEEP THE SALE PRICE FOR TWO FULL WEEKS, SO EVERYONE HAS TIME TO BUY IT.

THEN PUT THE PRICE BACK TO WHATEVER YOU SEE FIT. $49.99 SEEMS OUTRAGEOUSLY COSTLY, MAYBE THE NORMAL PRICE SHOULD BE $39.99 AS IT HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN.

WHY DID YOU EVEN CHANGE THE NORMAL PRICE FROM $39.99 to $49.99 BAFFLES ME.

ANYWAY.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK AGILE SHOULD DO NOW. THIS WAY THEY SHOW THAT THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS AND THEY WOULD ADMIT THAT THEIR FIRST SALE WAS A BAD MOVE WHEN IT COMES TO COMMUNICATION.

THIS IS THE LAST POST I'M GOING TO WRITE HERE ABOUT THE MAS SALE AND ITS' PRICE AND LENGTH AND NOTIFYING OF IT.

IF AGILE CAN'T BOTHER TO REDEEM THEMSELVES, THEN THAT'S FINE TOO.

THANK YOU.
  • kallemia
    kallemia
    Community Member
    How about making a mistake that benefits the customers for once....
  • Agile are patronising us. Their kind words are making me sick they actually offer zero solution to this mess they have created.

The arrogance they have show is so disrespectful.
    1. Shotty buggy upgrade from FF5 --> FF6, and Safari
    2. Not communicating to current customers about MAS upgrade path
    3. Tell users that buying now will get them IP4 for free. What' new in 1P4?? Don't ask questions, just buy.
    4. Not communicating to current customers about $19 sale
    5. Bump up price to $49 with no warning
    6. Profit??
  • Heck, I just happened across this topic...

Didn't realise there was an updated version (3.9) in the App Store. Does this resolve any of the current problems? Why weren't existing users better informed of the upgrade/MAS only/price changes? You have our e-mail; we bought the app from you!

Not sure I feel like paying out £35 when there are so many issues with the 3.8 branch and have no idea what to expect/gain by upgrading; if I don't upgrade, I'm left with a hobbled, partially functional application, that in day-to-day terms offers less functionality than the day I purchased it.

While I appreciate all good software needs paid upgrades at strategic points, this doesn't seem well timed given 1Password still seems to have so many issues.

Was sticking with 1Password in the hope of coming out the other side of the unified browser interface upgrades with a better, stronger product, not convinced any longer.

This is not good.

I don't feel valued as a customer.
  • I agree with the sentiment expressed by the other posters in this thread. I've been a longtime supporter and user of 1Password, and I've come to really love this application. I got no notification from the developers about the update on the Mac App Store, but finally stumbled across it today. I'm a college student, paying my way through, and honestly can't afford to spend money on anything right now, but I have been so pleased with this application that I was willing to figure out how to part with the $20 promotional price.

However, with no warning and no notice given to existing users, the promotional price has disappeared, without any change to the 3.9 version at all. I've always been impressed at the speed of your updates and the quality of your program, and I regret not having the money to buy 3.9 at the full $50, because I believe your company works hard for what it gets and deserves the profits. However, it's simply not something I can do. And so, sadly, it looks like 3.8 will be where I stop with 1Password, unless there is another price drop and it is actually announced to current users.

I won't bash you guys, or get angry, because I understand that these are your jobs and profits from this app goes to support you guys and the work you do. But reconsidering lowering the price and giving existing users notice about the temporary discount would go a long way in ensuring continued business and support from myself and the others who this affects.

Thanks for your time!
  • Thank you all for your feedback. You make some valid points and I'm sure there are some lessons for us to learn here.
  • mariachi62
    mariachi62
    Community Member
    edited October 2011
    just had to change my post, didnt get the faqs right...

but only one thing: please inform your customers in the future, i didnt even know that there is a 3.9... not even a notification when i try to update!
    for that reason i also feel somehow pissed about the price, i would also like (probably like most of your customers) to buy it for 20 - not for 40 dollars...

however, send out emails when you make big changes like that!

greetings
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We plan on increasing email communication going forward. Thank you for letting us know this is something you are looking forward to. We have some great things planned coming up. :-)

Please be sure you are signed up for our newsletter, otherwise the emails that we do send will not reach you:

https://agilebits.com/company/newsletter

Again: our newsletter is opt-in, so no one was ever automatically added to it. You'll need to make sure you subscribe in order to receive email updates from us in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • DoNotStaple
    DoNotStaple
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

We plan on increasing email communication going forward. Thank you for letting us know this is something you are looking forward to. We have some great things planned coming up. :-)

Please be sure you are signed up for our newsletter, otherwise the emails that we do send will not reach you:

https://agilebits.co...pany/newsletter

Again: our newsletter is opt-in, so no one was ever automatically added to it. You'll need to make sure you subscribe in order to receive email updates from us in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

I signed up for your email list today. However, after entering my email address your page states that I will receive an email that I must click a link to complete the opt-in process. I have not received that email test and it has been hours. Do you believe I'm on your list or not?

Thanks
  • mctavish
    mctavish
    Community Member

I signed up for your email list today. However, after entering my email address your page states that I will receive an email that I must click a link to complete the opt-in process. I have not received that email test and it has been hours. Do you believe I'm on your list or not?

Same here. Please let us know when this is fixed.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Have you looked in your Junk folder, or any kind of spam catcher you may have?

I have run into that situation elsewhere.
  • DoNotStaple
    DoNotStaple
    Community Member
    danco wrote:

Have you looked in your Junk folder, or any kind of spam catcher you may have?

I have run into that situation elsewhere.

Yes, I have checked my spam folder and have approved email from agile. There is just no opt-in email being received from agile. I'm sure they are working on it.
  • I've tried to stay calm since I first heard that you were going MAS only. I didn't like the idea then and I haven't changed my mind yet.

My main reasons for feeling this way are:
    I DON'T want to have to start the MAS app to see if there are any updates to 1Password.
    I DON'T want to have to wait for Apple to authorize potentially critical updates.
    I DON'T like the other Apple imposed limitations on your software.

But, it is your business and I could learn to live with this if I "have to".

So, what are the potential benefits of the MAS compared to the "old way"?
    Well, the MAS has shown a potential for lower prices even on good apps but this far that doesn't seem to be the case with 1Password.

But then you decide to make matters worse and don't inform your users about the changes (seriously, twitter is not a good way of relaying important changes like this). I try to stay productive with my Mac and I don't want to have to use my time to hang around twitter or browse this forum on a daily basis to get news about the future of what I consider "critical" software. I had to find out from a Mac news site. Then, because you made me believe that you would let us know in advance when you'd end the "sale", I decided to lay low to see if you'd reverse the "MAS only decision" (as you said you were contemplating). And now I see that you ended the sale without a word. What is wrong with you guys??? I can't believe how badly you've handled this! What happened to this once great ? Did you simply flush all sense out with the old name??

I've happily used 1Password since version 2 (or maybe even 1, I don't remember) and I've used it on my iPhones and iPad for as long as it has been available for them but now I must say that I despair. Do I have to find an alternative to be treated fairly? Should I tell all my friends that I've brought to you as customers to switch to something else?

I'm sorry for the harsh words but in the 10+ years that I've used a Mac and tons of different software from both small and big developers, I have NEVER been treated this badly as a customer. I actually thought you'd recognize your mistakes, apologize and more importantly, try to compensate for those mistakes but you only seem to want to add to them!?

IMHO you need to fix this at least by giving loyal customers an honest and informed chance (NOT through Twitter alone) to "upgrade" to 1Password 4 (through the MAS or preferably through the old way) for a "regular" upgrade price when it is released or at least near release with a clear sheet of changes so that we know what we're paying for.

So, why am I whining? Why don't I just switch to some other software? Because I've committed myself to 1Password by paying for every major update and filling it with all my passwords, software licenses etc and I don't want to put hours upon hours finding and migrating to some inferior solution (yes the software is still pretty awesome although the MAS version has some pretty stupid limitations).

So I'm basically feeling blackmailed to start over and pay for a full version when I should pay for an upgrade (since I wanted to know what I was paying for and actually thought you were going to inform me in a more "reliable" way).

Rant over. What's your response..?
  • krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    I'm another long-time (since launch) user and beta test who's recommended 1Password to numerous folks.

While I received notification that v3.9 would only be available in the App Store, I was also told that the price would be $19.95 for the Lion version. This seemed reasonable at the time and once I was ready to commit to Lion as my default OS I planned to upgrade. Since the v3.9 upgrade would include a free upgrade to 4.0, there didn't appear any urgency to upgrade. As others have said, all of a sudden the price has jumped another $30 WITHOUT warning. The least that Agile could have done is notified its existing users of the pending price increase date so that they could upgrade if desired.

This is a VERY unfortunate stuation!
  • Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    I think this topic has been thrashed to death. Isn't it time to accept the explanations and apologies and move on?
This discussion has been closed.