1Password 6 bought through MAS who wants to upgrade to 1Password 7 – what is the correct procedure?

Options
epavletic
epavletic
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I've been a 1Password user since august 2012 (v3.9.6) and at the time, I bought my licence through the Mac App Store (MAS) because… well, it seemed like the way to do it back then. Later, when you added iCloud sync to the feature list, I grew accustomed to use it to sync my Mac with my 1Password for iPhone reliably, and have been a (very) happy customer ever since (even persuaded my former employer to jump on the 1Password for teams bandwagon when you went live). I've never bothered with the subscription model, since I feel like I manage fine with a standalone license, but I've been on the ball with every major release because I wan't to show my appreciation for what the team keeps bringing to the table in terms of polish and features. This time was no different, but I was sad to find that there were no clear instructions on how someone with my setup should/could upgrade to 1Password 7 (MAS licence, iCloud backup dependant)?
The only direction I got was that in order to buy a 1Password 7 licence I had to download the app directly from the website, but this has at least historically been a no-go if you wan't to use the iCloud sync feature since it requires the MAS version to function. But this might not be the case nowadays with iCloud Drive?

Could you please just verify that the website version of 1Password 7 + upgraded license is the way to go even for people with my setup?

And, I take it as the MAS version of 1Password primarily is meant to be used with the subscription model moving forwards? So me as a standalone licence-kind-of-guy will have to download the app directly from the AgileBits website from now on (I have no quarrels with such a procedure, just want to clarify to make things easier next time)?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• epavletic
    epavletic
    Community Member
    Options

So, no solution to this one? :|

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

There was a short period of time when iCloud sync was only available with the App Store version, due to restrictions by Apple, but it has worked with the direct version for several years.

Yes, you will want the website version and a new licence. There isn't a discount specifically for upgraders, but for a short time there is a discount available to everyone.

• epavletic
    epavletic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @danco – I was slightly leaning towards it probably being the case, but wanted to make sure as to not mess up my library in some way. Kudos. Already up and running on 7.0.4!

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear danco was able to help out. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.