I need help changing over from the App Store version to the one from your website.

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

The instructions say to "Open 1Password and click the 1Password menu. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard. While holding the Control and Option keys, select “Quit 1Password and 1Password mini”. When you OPEN 1Pass are you supposed to login first? I tried that and held the Control and Option keys in order to quit, but QUIT did not appear. Then I tried it without logging in with the same result. Please advise.

My goal is to keep the stand alone version that I control on my computer while syncing over iCloud. Will this do it? For $49.99. I've been a user since 2014 and can't imagine doing without it.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• rdforbes
    rdforbes
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar question - when going from version 6 to 7, is there any difference between buying the upgrade via the App Store vs. buying on your website?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, there is a difference. As I understand it, only the subscription is available from the App Store. If you want the stand alone version, you have to download it from the 1Pass website for $49.99.
    I’ve been following Dave Teare’s blog today about changing to 1Pass 7, and I’ve decided not to upgrade until I can get some answers to my questions. I’ve been a regular user and loyal customer, and I would like to stay that way. However, my questions have to be answered.
    I’ve seen many complaints about changing from the App Store version to the one from 1Pass and about the price. I’m not willing to pay $49.99 only to encounter a lot of problems. I’ll even find another manager first.

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @jazzman! You don't need to unlock 1Password to follow those steps. :) On your keyboard, press Option Control Q to quit 1Password completely.

My goal is to keep the stand alone version that I control on my computer while syncing over iCloud. Will this do it? For $49.99. I've been a user since 2014 and can't imagine doing without it.

Once you upgrade, purchase a license during the upgrade instead of subscribing and you'll be able to keep using the standalone version. It’s good to keep in mind that with a license, you won't get the benefits of a 1Password membership. That includes all the 1Password apps so you can use it on your computer, phone, tablet, or even a browser. It also has automatic sync between all the devices you end up adding, versions of your items that are backed up automatically so you can restore one if you make a change by mistake, and much more.

Either way, I hope that helps and I'll be here if you have some questions. :)

• Jacob
    Options

@rdforbes You can only upgrade to 1Password 7 on our website if you'd like to buy a license for it. If you're using a 1Password membership, you can use either version of the app.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. My goal is to keep doing what I have already been doing. I want to have 1Pass on my Mac, iPad and iPhone and sync with iCloud. I do not want to use 1Pass' cloud. Can I do that with a license instead of a membership? I've had a stand alone license since 2014 and have used it on all of my devices and synced over iCloud. I was not aware that I would have to buy a membership to achieve the same thing. I thought I would still be able to accomplish that with a stand alone license.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

It is my understanding that, with a license, you can still sync everything across iCloud as before and continue receiving updates. I thought the major difference was in not using 1Pass' mechanism(or cloud) for syncing. If this is not correct, please tell me the difference(s).

1Password Version: 6.8.9
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Jacob
    Options

@jazzman Okay good to know. You can use 1Password 7 with a license if you'd like, yes. Simply upgrade to it and purchase a license during the upgrade. You can keep syncing your data with iCloud as well.

• Jacob
    Options

@jazzman I just merged your other post here as well. 1Password licenses do not include the benefits that a membership has. You can learn about what you get with a membership in the article I linked to above.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

I see all of the benefits of a membership. What does a LICENSE NOT INCLUDE?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

If I upgrade to a subscription, do I have to use Agilebits’ cloud service for storing and syncing my information or can I continue using iCloud? I prefer to maintain control over my own vault. I don’t mind paying for a subscription. I just want to keep using iCloud. There’s something I’m missing here. I only use 1Pass on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Yet people keep bringing up the difference between a subscription and stand alone license. In using only Mac devices, I don’t see any difference. I’ll be happy to subscribe if I don’t have to turn over my vault to another cloud. If I do, that’s a deal breaker for me. Plus, I will no longer be a fan of 1Pass if I have to pay $50 for a stand alone license and not receive full benefits on my Mac devices.

• 2008crna
    2008crna
    Community Member
    Options

Short answer is, $50 for a standalone license, you get to use your own cloud client and you can use it across all your IOS devices. The other option is a subscription at the monthly rate (currently at least $36+tax a year) and you use the 1Password server cloud system.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

$50 for a standalone license, you get to use your own cloud client and you can use it across all your IOS devices.

That explanation isn't quite complete. The Mac standalone licence is for the Mac version only and for as many Macs as you may personally own and use. The iOS version is different. It's downloaded from the iOS App Store and you need to make the in app purchase to enable the pro features if you want complete synchronisation with the Mac version.

(For clarity, all of what I've just said doesn't apply if you're using the 1Password.com subscription service. That includes full use of all of the 1Password apps.)

Stephen

• Jacob
    Options

@jazzman A license doesn't include all the 1Password apps since the license is just for the platform you buy it for. It also has third-party sync rather than automatic sync built in. Your items don't have versions that can restore later on if you need a different one, and you can't share with your family using a license. There's also extra security on 1Password accounts that simply isn't possible with a license. The article I mentioned includes everything that isn't included with a license, since it focuses on what's included with a membership:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Hope that helps!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

These are all very helpful answers. Thank you.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C

It looks to me like I cannot use iCloud with a subscription. I can do that only with a stand alone license. Please confirm.__

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jazzman you can use iCloud with a subscription but it's probably a slightly odd thing to do as with a subscription 1Password.com handles all synchronisation for you. If you really want both a subscription and to use iCloud then once you've set up the subscription you go to 1Password 7 > Preferences > Advanced and under Local Vaults check Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. You then create a local vault that will be used to synchronise using iCloud.

By the way, I'm merely a user here and I use a standalone licence so am not necessarily an expert in all of this. :)

Stephen

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

You just told me all I need to know by saying you have a standalone license. You have answered questions for me before and always been spot on. I consider you a most reliable source. I personally prefer the standalone model. Do you use 1Pass Pro on your iOS devices or not?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jazzman thanks for the kind words.

Do you use 1Pass Pro on your iOS devices or not?

Yes.

Stephen

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that Stephen_C was able to help out. I consider him a reliable source as well. But we're here if you need us too. :)

This discussion has been closed.