Same Domain, Many Logins

Options

I have to login to several URLs each day. Each URL has the same domain but the URL addresses changes for each log in. Is there anyway to get 1P to fill automatically (after all, the URL is unique, just the domain is the same). At present, 1P presents me with a list and I have to choose the right one from the list.

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud (I think...)

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @nicksyrett,

1Password only uses the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) for matching and won't use the path. The only time the full path is used is for open-and-fill. You're not the first to ask for complete matching but I believe this is something we used to do a number of versions ago and it was found to needlessly complicate 1Password for the majority of users. As a result, it is doubtful this will return. We rarely say any decision is final but I feel there would need to be a compelling case to alter the current behaviour here.

While you have a site where this would be useful, I expect even for you it stands out as being the exception rather than the rule, even if you interact with this site on a daily basis.

• nicksyrett
    nicksyrett
    Community Member
    Options

You could always build in a little feature to enable this on some logins.... i actually think there would be a lot of folk who could do with this...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nicksyrett: These are things we'll continue to evaluate, but apart from the fact that most users would be surprised and/or horrified if they didn't see logins with different subdomains but the same domain (e.g. www.apple.com and appleid.apple.com), I suspect you would be too in most cases. Sometimes companies change domains and forward users from the old one to the new one, and if you don't happen to notice this, it can be terrifying to not see your login for the old domain there even though it makes sense that 1Password wouldn't offer it in order to protect against phishing attacks. Believe me when I say I appreciate how much what you're describing can be a pain in certain circumstances. As you can imagine, I have a lot of different logins involving *agilebits.com and *1password.com. But in the vast majority of cases showing inexact/subdomain matches is really the best, and introducing a way to change that or make exceptions would add complexity and cause confusion. Maybe in the future we'll be able to come up with something that doesn't have these drawbacks, but for now I do think this is best — even if you and I have to press Return a number of times a day. :)

• maikm
    maikm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

I agree that most users would expect for their iCloud account to show up on both www.apple.com and appleid.apple.com. At the same time, this makes it hard to use for corporate applications with tons of subdomains in the same domain, or services that are only distinguished by path within the same subdomain.

I can see several approaches to satisfy both use cases.

1. Only show the one direct match of path or subdomain if there is one, with an option to expand to the entire domain, auto-expand to that if there is no exact match.
    2. Have a global boolean setting about whether or not to match subdomains and/or paths, defaulting to no.
    3. Allow the user to specify a list of domains where subdomain/path matching should be applied.
    4. Allow a setting per login that specifies "suppress other domain matches if this one matches exactly".

Maik

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maikm,

Except we find subdomains cause enough confusion. We've actually removed a preference in 1Password 7 that related to how we treated subdomain matching because we never found a great use case for it but every so often somebody would write in and the solution would be to disable this option that at some point has been enabled as it was disabled by default. Each additional option had the real potential to cause confusion so the benefit had to significantly outweigh the drawbacks.

I'm not saying we'll absolutely never do this but we'd need to be convinced this is a big problem for enough people that adding such a feature has a positive net gain and makes the inevitable support queries still worth it overall.

• maikm
    maikm
    Community Member
    Options

How about at least sorting the logins shown in a way that the exact match (if there is any) appears at the top?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's something we want too. :)

ref: apple-1343

This discussion has been closed.