Is it possible to go back to 1Password6 for Mac?

Options
vishal
vishal
Community Member

I'm a 1Password subscriber and recently upgraded from 1P6 to 1P7 on my Mac. However, I don't like 1P7. Is it possible to go back to 1P6? I don't see a link to download a previous version on the website anywhere. Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Cameron85737
    Cameron85737
    Community Member
    Options

Me too. Too many changes for no reason. 1P6 was about as elegant and finely crafted as it gets. I want to revert to 1P6.
    1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
    OS Version: mac OS 10.13.5

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

1PW7 should leave a zipped version of 1PW6. So just quit 1PW7 (quit completely, not just the main app), trash it, delete trash, and unzip 1PW6.

• cqellis
    cqellis
    Community Member
    Options

I reinstalled 1password 6 but can not get my vault back. I have it on my iphone and ipad - how do I transfer the 462 logins in the vault back to my mac? Is there a way? It is not syncing - and now I only have 7 logins. If nothing else and I have to ditch 1 password all together how do I save the logins from my ipad and iphone so I can use them?

• vishal
    vishal
    Community Member
    Options

@danco Thank you. That worked.

But what would happen if I replace or reformat my Mac in the future? Won't I be forced to install 1P7 then? I wonder if keeping a backup of the 1P6 zip file would help in that case.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I believe that AgileBits will let you have access to legacy versions. But there's certainly no harm in keeping a backup of the zipped 1PW6.

@cqellis How were you syncing before? It should be possible just to point 1PW6 to the sync location (if you were doing that manually) and get it. If you had a subscription, the vaults should just copy over.

• dturbide
    dturbide
    Community Member
    Options

Hello I bought a version for mac a year ago and I just update by accident to version 7. I am no longer able to have my version 6 for Mac. I bought this Standalone version for not having to pay every year. What do I have to do ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a standalone licence available for 1Password 7 if you want it but I'm afraid it's not very easy to discover using the existing installer. In the meantime you may find this post of mine helpful if you want to get back to 1Password 6.

Stephen

• vishal
    vishal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @danco .

• cqellis
    cqellis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @danco

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @dturbide! Sorry for the confusion, let's get you a solution.

I just update by accident to version 7.

There is no way to accidentally upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. There is not yet an update message in 1Password 6 showing you a new version even exists -- unless you are already a 1password.com member. If you are, then you'll see a message, because the 1Password 7 for Mac upgrade is included in your membership. If you have a standalone installation of 1Password 6, however, you would've had to visit our downloads page, download and install 1Password 7 for Mac. Are you using 1Password via a 1password.com account you created, perhaps?

If not, did you download and install 1Password 7 for Mac on your own? If you did, your 1Password 6 standalone data and sync settings should've been imported, and you'd have been given an option to purchase a new license for 1Password 7 for Mac (since it's a new version) or create a 1password.com account if you want to switch over to 1Password membership. Can you tell us which of these things you did -- and also what you would like to do now? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @vishal, @Cameron85737 and @cqellis! Sorry for the troubles getting set up with 1Password 7 for Mac.

For the record, our 1Password updates server contains every version of 1Password ever built, from version 1 right up to whatever's current. Obviously, with 1Password 7 for Mac being so new, version 6 is still quite current at this point, but I should make it clear that it is considered a legacy product as of a few weeks ago when we formally launched version 7, and as such won't be receiving any development attention. That means you're welcome to use it for as long as you have hardware and versions of macOS on which it will run...but it will eventually become less functional as the pace of technology marches on, leaving version 6 frozen in time, just like all the versions before it. As a security company, we can't do anything except recommend people use the latest versions of both macOS and all of their software, but we understand some people may be on older devices that are hardware-limited and thus OS-limited. Let us know if you have questions about version 7's features or the process of upgrading or downgrading.

• dturbide
    dturbide
    Community Member
    Options

Hello thanks for your answer, I reinstalled my standalone version V.6 after several hours. Here's what I did not like about this whole process. I bought this standalone version last year if my memory serves me well. I would have liked to have the choice to pay a small amount for the version 7 standalone. Some of your customers do not want your membership solution. As many have already mentioned your membership fees are very expensive and I prefer a version that allows me to keep my data in the ICLOUD and it is only a matter of preference. I know that the data on your server is protected.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dturbide - thanks for your response.

I would have liked to have the choice to pay a small amount for the version 7 standalone.

You have that choice. When you install 1Password 7 for Mac onto a system that already has existing 1Password 6 for Mac data, you'll see this "Welcome" screen:

Clicking the indicated link would've taken you to the page to purchase a standalone license for the launch-special pricing of $49.99. If you're still interested in doing that, let us know and we'll walk you through the steps.

• vishal
    vishal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars .

Just to be clear, I didn't have any problem setting up 1Password 7. It's just that it feels bloated and less elegant than 1P6, like @Cameron85737 mentioned. For instance, the animation of collapsing and expanding the sidebar is choppy on my 2015 Macbook Air. Also, in 1P6, I'm able to quickly get to a login item in 1P Mini by simply hovering over with the mouse. In 1P7, I have to click several times.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vishal

the animation of collapsing and expanding the sidebar is choppy on my 2015 Macbook Air.

It shouldn't be. I've got an older MBA than yours, and it works fine there. I'm not quite sure what would be causing the "choppiness" on your Mac -- or what your definition of "choppy" is, for that matter.

I'll certainly keep your comments in our developers' minds as we move forward with 1Password 7; we value every bit of feedback our users take their valuable time to share with us. And often, it does affect the choices we make or at least the order in which we pursue things. Sometimes, it doesn't. My advice to you would be that as we're considering what refinements we might make to 1Password 7 that will benefit the most users, take some time yourself to get used to some of the changes in 1Password 7; often, what's unfamiliar or even off-putting at first can turn out to be something we wind up either finding to be not such a big deal later, or even really enjoying.

If you decide you just can't live with the changes we've made to 1Password 7 for Mac, you're always welcome to revert back to version 6, even if our recommendation is that people keep their copies of OS and of 1Password up-to-date.

• gfwturner
    gfwturner
    Community Member
    Options

$3 a month...no thanks. Once version 6 no longer works on my machine, I will reminisce about what a great program 1password used to be...and then move on to a reasonably priced competitor. You've not only priced me out of the market, but left a bad taste in my mouth trying to charge me for something I've already bought.

• We feel the price we’re asking for 1Password membership is quite reasonable for what is being offered, but I’m sorry to hear you don’t feel the same. As was mentioned a fair number of times above it is possible to purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac instead if you prefer that way of using 1Password. :+1:

Ben

• chaspel
    chaspel
    Community Member
    Options

I have been a 1Password user since version 3 and love the product. I have multiple licenses including some 5 user family ones. I would like to stick with stand-alone licenses, but can only find a link to buy a 1 user stand-alone license at full price, no upgrade pricing. I emailed your support 3 days ago, but still no response. Can you help?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @chaspel,

I apologize for the delayed reply. Our email support team is quite busy, and as a result our usual prompt replies have stretched into a few days.

but can only find a link to buy a 1 user stand-alone license at full price, no upgrade pricing

That's correct. If you'd like to continue with licensing for 1Password 7 it is an entirely separate purchase, and is sold per-person. 1Password Families is our solution for folks who would like to share 1Password with their families.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: HRX-93369-323

• chaspel
    chaspel
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. That is very unfortunate. I can't justify spending $500 to upgrade all my licenses. Guess I will stick with 1Password 6 until it ceases being compatible with my machines and then move on to a different password manager. Very sad as I love your product. It is always sad when a small company with great policies grows and abandons that philosophy.
    Sincerely,
    Charles

• Ben
    Options

Understood. I think 1Password Families would be a much better solution than spending $500 on licenses. Either way, best of luck, and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.