Password7 for Mac downloaded but won't open any sites

kidsmom
kidsmom
Community Member

I have dowloaded the Password7 for Mac. It downloaded ok but I can't open any sites in the vault.

1Password Version: 1Password7 for Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password7 for Mac downloaded but won't open any sites

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Sorry, but you're going to have to give us a little more information so that we can help you properly.

• What exact version number of 1Password 7 are you using (look under 1Password 7 > About 1Password)?
    • Do you use a standalone version (synchronising your data to other devices through Dropbox, Wi-Fi or iCloud, for example) or the 1Password.com subscription service (where you have an account with monthly payments and the AgileBits server handles everything for you)?
    • Do you have any device other than your Mac which contains at the moment a full set of your 1Password data?
    • Can you see all your 1Password data in 1Password 7?
    • What browser are you using and have you installed the 1Password extension in the browser (if not, go to 1Password 7 > Install Browser Extensions...)?
    • What exactly do you mean when you say:

I can't open any sites in the vault.

Do you mean you can't access your data in 1Password 7 or do you mean your 1Password logins are not working when you try to use them from 1Password 7?

Sorry for all the questions but answers will help us to help you.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kidsmom! I'm sorry for the trouble you're having with 1Password 7 for Mac, but without a little more information, it's impossible to say what might be going wrong. @Stephen_C's instructions are a great place to start.

I can't open any sites in the vault.

I'm not certain what this means. Are you able to unlock 1Password with your Master Password? If so, is it just that you can't use Open & Fill to launch your browser, visit login pages and enter and submit your credentials? Or something else? The more specificity you can give us, the better able we'll be to assist you. Thanks!

• kidsmom
    kidsmom
    Community Member

I have downloaded the upgrade and can open 1Password with my master password. The problem I am having is when I try to open a item in the vault, it won’t take me to that website. The screen stays the same, doing nothing! I have even tried to delete it and it is telling me I can’t because there is another version open!!!??? Personally I have been happy with 1 password.....but I’m to the point of moving on....except I can’t even delete it.

• kidsmom
    kidsmom
    Community Member

Also....I changed my email address....but for some reason you are still using my old One?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have downloaded the upgrade and can open 1Password with my master password. The problem I am having is when I try to open a item in the vault, it won’t take me to that website. The screen stays the same, doing nothing! I have even tried to delete it and it is telling me I can’t because there is another version open!!!??? Personally I have been happy with 1 password.....but I’m to the point of moving on....except I can’t even delete it.

@kidsmom: I'm sorry for the trouble, but we can help you get this sorted out. Since I see you've also emailed us separately, we'll continue the conversation there to exchange more information.

Also....I changed my email address....but for some reason you are still using my old One?

This isn't an email conversation. If you've used an "old" email address for your forum account here though, you'd be getting notifications at that address. You'd need to update the email address in your profile if you want to use a different one instead:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit/

And again, we'll be in touch via email shortly.

ref: HJH-72399-275

• bretlegg
    bretlegg
    Community Member

I am unable to open a login item from my vault. I open 1Passowrd, double click on a login item, and nothing happens. It never leaves my 1Password screen, never goes to the sight, never fills in the password...NOTHING. Also, I no longer have my 1Password extension, nor am I able to download it. I'm a very long time 1Password user and I've loved it! Never had any problems with it until now. I'm using 1Password 7.3.2 and Safari 12.1.12. PLEASE HELP!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bretlegg: What version of 1Password do you have shown in Safari Preferences > Extensions, and is it enabled there?

• bretlegg
    bretlegg
    Community Member

I am unable to open a login item from my vault. I open 1Passowrd, double click on a login item, and nothing happens. It never leaves my 1Password screen, never goes to the sight, never fills in the password...NOTHING. Also, I no longer have my 1Password extension, nor am I able to download it. I'm a very long time 1Password user and I've loved it! Never had any problems with it until now. I'm using 1Password 7.3.2 and Safari 12.1.12. PLEASE HELP!

There is no browser listed in Safari preferences. When I go to the 1Password site to download the browser extension, there is no extension to download...because it says that it's included with 1Password 7.

• bretlegg
    bretlegg
    Community Member

There is no browser listed in Safari preferences. When I go to the 1Password site to download the browser extension, there is no extension to download...because it says that it's included with 1Password 7

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bretlegg:

Can you please post a screenshot of what you see when you open Safari Preferences > Extensions tab? You should see something like this:

• bretlegg
    bretlegg
    Community Member

There are no extensions showing. When I try to download the 1Password extension, the download wheel spins and spins but never downloads.

• bretlegg
    bretlegg
    Community Member

Sorry. Took a screen shot of what you sent me. Here's the screen shot from my Safari preference screen...

There are no extensions showing. When I try to download the 1Password extension, the download wheel spins and spins but never downloads.

• Thanks @bretlegg. It sounds like you're trying to install the 1Password extension by clicking on the "more extensions" option in Safari's preferences. That will only work if you don't already have 1Password installed. With 1Password 7 the Safari extension is not a separate download / installation (and attempting to do so may only worsen the situation). The extension is included with the 1Password 7 app. If you don't see it listed in Safari under Preferences > Extensions then please try the following:

1. Make sure Safari and macOS are up to date
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Reinstall 1Password 7 for Mac from our website (instructions below)

If you need to reinstall...

1. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    2. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    3. Empty the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    6. Open 1Password
    7. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    8. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• brownedbeef
    brownedbeef
    Community Member

I am having these same issues. I'm a longtime 1Password user and have always loved it and recommended it. But ever since I upgraded to 7, I can't get it to work! I have followed all the instructions on this page multiple times and it still doesn't work in Safari. When I click on an item in 1Password extension to populate a username/pw, it does nothing. If I double click, the extension window goes away, but nothing is loaded into my website. Ugh!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brownedbeef: What do you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions?

• chaiya
    chaiya
    Community Member

Same here; I can't get 1Password to autofill the username/password fields on any site. Running OS X 10.14.6, 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store, Safari 13.0.1. If I go to Safari Preferences > Extensions, 1Password is installed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chaiya - have you signed into 1Password 7 for Mac with an active 1password.com account or purchased an upgraded license for 1Password 7 for Mac and installed it? If not, your data will be in Read Only mode, which means you can't add, edit or delete any data in 1Password and you can't use the browser extension.

• JSea
    JSea
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

I've experienced the same issue today. Thankfully I found this thread and followed the instructions to the tee. However I've had no luck. Safari is not showing the 1Password Extension. These are the versions of macOS, Safari and 1Password I'm currently using:

The one thing that I can say I've done differently that may have caused this issue is I upgraded to the latest version of Safari yesterday. Any help resolving the matter will be greatly appreciated as 1Password is critical to my day to day. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JSea: Updating your browser is always a good idea! Unfortunately in this case it sounds like it isn't loading the extension right away after doing so. Double check to see if it's showing in Safari Preferences > Extensions, and enable it there if you can. If it's not showing up, you may find that it does in time, especially after quitting it and restarting. There isn't a way for you or 1Password to make that happen, but installing a fresh copy of 1Password can help since Safari should see the "new" app and check for an extension to load from it.

• JSea
    JSea
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me @brenty! Unfortunately I don't see the extension in preferences.

I'll go through the process of removing and reinstalling 1Password again to see if it will work this time around.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JSea: I figured, but better to check first before going down that rabbit hole. :+1: I'd suggest the following:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Control Option Q
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    6. Open Safari and wait/pray

Safari should load it eventually, though it does seem to take time in some cases. Best thing to do is just go on about your business and hope for the best. Let me know how it goes!

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Followed all the instructions and it does not work.

Extension appears OK

Weird icon in Safari

My system is completely up to date

Should I send this to support?

1PW7 does not work with Safari under High Sierra.

What now???

My system

Really need a fix for this!!!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MikeV99:

Your Safari version is quite old on this machine. I believe Apple released updates for Safari even for older operating systems such as High Sierra, so you should be able to update just the browser if you cannot update the whole operating system for some reason.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

Thank you for your observations. After much work, including reinstalling my system from the internet, I found that I was the victim of a very clever piece of Chinese malware. It was most frustrating since I am normally almost paranoid about protecting my system. I don't have a clue as to how it got me. However, I have since installed malwarebytes for protection.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update! :+1:

• JSea
    JSea
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Update: After following @brenty's instructions a notification to enable 1Password in Safari popped up and I clicked enable however no luck. Still no extensions available in Safari.

• Hi @JSea,

I'm really sorry this is an issue for you. Are you using Safari 13? If so please try these instructions which are similar but more comprehensive than what brenty posted above:

Troubleshooting the 1Password extension in Safari

Ben

• JSea
    JSea
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben, your instructions were the first I followed when I started experiencing this issue. I'm currently on Safari 13.0.3.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JSea:

Can you please post a screenshot of what you see under Safari Preferences > Extensions tab? It should look similar to this:

• JSea
    JSea
    Community Member

@ag_ana, here you go.

This discussion has been closed.