How do I uninstall 1Password 7 from my Mac when the file is damaged and can't be opened?

SunriverCarol
SunriverCarol
Community Member

Problem started when I attempted to update to most recent version of 1Password 7 on my Mac this week. Kept getting error message that update could not be installed while 1 Password 7 is running. Continued to get this error message even after shutting down the 1Password 7 program. Followed your instructions on deleting the app by starting the program, clicking on 1Password menu and holding down Control and Option keys. Then I selected Quit 1Password and ?something other than 1Password mini?. Then tried to drag the app from the applications folder to the trash - did not work. Was not able to uninstall the app.

On a whim, I then tried to update the software again (via download from the App Store) and the update appeared to take place. However, now when I try to start the 1Password 7 app, I get an error message saying "1Password 7 is damaged and can't be opened. Delete "1Password 7" and download it again from the App Store." So I'm back to square 1. Can't delete/uninstall the app. What to do?

PS. 1Password 7 works fine on my mobile devices.

Thank you,
Carol

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: version just prior to this week
OS Version: OSX 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:how to delete 1Password 7 from Mac when file is damaged and can't be opened?

Comments

• Hey @SunriverCarol! To get 1Password 7 reinstalled, open Finder and click Applications, then move 1Password 7 to the Trash. Now restart your computer and empty the Trash. Before you reinstall it, you mentioned in your post that you're syncing with iCloud. 1Password 7 in the Mac App Store can only be used with a 1Password membership. If you'd like to use it with a license, you can purchase one during the upgrade by installing the app from our website, importing your data, and buying a license:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

Hope this helps!

• lhorthy
    lhorthy
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I have unistalled and reinstalled the app about 5 times trying restarts and even updating to the latest version of MacOS Catalina (10.15.4) to no avail. I still get the message "“1Password 7” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “1Password 7” and download it again from the App Store."

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020

@ihorthy

Can you try the steps in this article? Please let us know if it helps. https://support.1password.com/mac-app-store-damaged/

This discussion has been closed.