App Store can't close 1Password to update

Options
Sheza
Sheza
Community Member

I have to manually select 'Close 1Password Completely' before the App Store will update for me.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.16
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• elmo_dog
    elmo_dog
    Community Member
    Options

iMac 27 2017
    MacOS 10.13.5 [just released]
    current 1P7.0.1 mac

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You should not need to quit 1Password 7 in order for the updater to work. However, if you really need fully to quit 1Password 7 use control + option + command + Q.

Stephen

• rob test
    rob test
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue, that quit command helped, thanks

(earlier updates I did not have this behaviour strange enough)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

A few people have mentioned this. It is somewhat strange behaviour as the updater should be able to quit the software on its own. I'll check in to it with the proper people.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

Hahaha the app is so hard to quit! It doesn’t want to be quit.

• tridztan
    tridztan
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue as above. Update only worked after using quit command as advised by Stephen.

• kimballpc
    kimballpc
    Community Member
    Options

Running this Version:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.0.1 (70001001)
    Mac App Store

The App Store says there is a 1Password Update. However, when you click Update there is a pop-up saying 1Password needs to be closed to proceed. When you click Close, nothing happens and the App does not update.

I have tried force quitting, restarting and shutting down and restarting my Mac, none of which work.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to be an odd problem with the Mac App Store version. If you see the 1Password icon up in the top menu bar, up where your wifi indicator and such is, click it. If locked, unlock it and then press the Gear button in the top right>Quit 1Password Completely. Then try performing the update.

• kimballpc
    kimballpc
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Corey. That worked!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear it @kimballpc. :)

• Chris Paulis
    Chris Paulis
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here...

• Ben
    Options

@Chris Paulis

Did you try the suggestions above?

Ben

• MartinD
    MartinD
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem with v7.0.3 (macOS 10.13.5), and today had the same problem when updating to v7.0.4.

Had to manually close 1Password from 1Password mini for the update to finish. Then had to open 1Password to get back 1Password mini in my Menu Bar.

And, if IIRC, I had the same problem with v7.0.1 with macOS 10.13.4.

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing happened to me.

• Steve_P
    Steve_P
    Community Member
    Options

me too... Just posted below about this ..last two updates

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This has already been reported here and here (doubtless among other similar threads).

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stephen_C - thanks for your tireless work here, and for anyone who has not yet followed his advice, it seems as if there's a problem with how the Mac App Store is interacting with the last couple of updates of 1Password 7 for Mac -- we're not entirely sure why -- but Quitting 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) seems to do the trick for now.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

It 'does the trick for now' but it's not convenient. Partly destroys the convenience of having the App Store version... which itself is already inconvenient as the lead time for Apple approving updates means we get bug fixes later than the non-MAS version. If I press 'update all' for multiple app updates, this bug ruins all updates and prevents them from installing until I manually quit 1Password.

Simply put, it didn't happen with 1Password 6. I hope you are working on finding out what's wrong & how to fix it?

• rudy
    Options

@sheza,

We know why its happening, its just a matter of adjusting some code to treat quitting differently if the request came from the App Store. Its on my list to tackle for the next release.

• Angelma36
    Angelma36
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Just had the same problem with newest release. Glad I know what to do now. :)

• Thanks, @Angelma36.

Ben

• bairdclaw
    bairdclaw
    Community Member
    Options

still happening. I am on macOS 10.15.2 beta (19C32e) and 1Password 7.4 (build #70400014). I had to use the ^⌥⌘Q option to quit completely.

• jthessin
    jthessin
    Community Member
    Options

I have had to manually quit "1Password completely" on my 2017 MacBook Pro (currently Catalina 10.15.1), for the last several updates. The November 7, 2019, update will not install even after I completely close 1Password. The App Store updater appears to download the update, but then reverts to a radio button for "update". I make no progress by starting over, which keeps getting me right back to the same spot.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Please see this message for the latest information. We'll keep that post updated if new information becomes available.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.