migrating from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7 for windows

Options

I'm upgrading to 1P7 from 1P4 on Windows 10. The Windows PC is my main device for initial transfer. I then will connect iPhones, iPads and MACs. I'm trying to follow the instructions of migrating my 1Password vault (data file) from 4 to 7, but nothing appears to happen. I've downloaded the IP7 app to the PC, I've established a monthly subscription account, I'm trying to import following the instructions but nothing happens, i.e. no import. I must admit I am confused on which instructions to use. I use Dropbox currently to sync all my devices so the folder I navigate to for import is in dropbox with the .agilekeychain suffix. I note that there is a 'Dropbox' Sync option, in the sign in pop up, but I'm hesitant to use it because your getting started tutorial never addresses this option. I have a great fear of getting this wrong an corrupting or losing my 1P4 data file. Also, your instructions are a bit unclear on when to uninstall 1P4. Should it be uninstalled prior to migrating data to IP7 or after. Again, I don't want to mess up, lose data or cause sync problems.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 latest
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:migrating from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7 for windows

Comments

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure the team will weigh in here shortly but since I just did the exact same process (1PW4 win to 1PW7 win) I'll let you know what worked for me. I too found it a bit tricky to figure out which steps to follow.

First off, if you're using Dropbox currently you probably have a folder in the Dropbox\apps\1password directory called something.agilekeychain. That's where your data currently resides. PKZip a copy of that folder (leaving the original in place) to somewhere else (a thumb drive, another folder, somewhere else on your Dropbox) and you'll know that whatever else happens you can always go back to the current version of your data.

Then you can install 1PW7 and set it up for whichever method of sync you want (I did Dropbox, it sounds like you're using the subscription). Once that's up and running, from inside the 1PW7 app, select the 1Password menu and then IMPORT. Select the .agilekeychain option and navigate to that same folder you zipped and it will pull all your data into the new vault. Within a few moments you'll see that same data in the web interface (depending on how much data) as it syncs from your local vault.

From that point you can then go and add your other devices and no importation is necessary, it will simply sync the data from the 1password.com account.

Good luck! All in all I'm very pleased so far with the upgrade. Much faster, better looking and I'm finding it easier to clean up some of the duplication that was created by an inconsistent browser/mini experience in 1PW4.

-Jason

• Hey, @llissner! I'm sorry for the troubles and the delay and hope @jbs's most excellent tips were able to help out. He's recommended just about the exact path I would, with the exception that importing into a 1Password.com account won't remove that AgileKeychain – it will remain on Dropbox should you need it. I hope the fact that you haven't returned in a panic means you've managed to get thing working, but if you're still having trouble, we're happy to help. :chuffed:

And, @jbs, thank you again for helping and for your kind words about the upgrade. It was a long time in the making and a labor of love, and I'm delighted to hear you're enjoying it. :love:

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Agreed, didn't mean to suggest the importation would do anything to the agilekeychain data, only that zipping it means nothing can do anything to it. In my case it did get renamed as legacyagilekeychain, presumably to keep it from being inadvertently opened again and editing in the wrong place.

• @jbs: And likewise, I wasn't implying that you were implying that. Only an FYI that it would stay put. That said, my reply was not carefully worded and certainly could be interpreted that way, I'm sorry. My efforts to get through forum replies at the end of my day are clearly catching up with me. 😴

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member
    Options

All good. I'm very impressed with the changes in v7. The speed improvements are through the roof and I feel like the "mini" version is just a lot more accurate. In v4 I'd regularly have the program save duplicate entries for the same site whereas in v7 it's much more likely to ask me if I want to update the site. As much as I've always loved 1PW I'd come to think of messy data as being an inextricable component of using the program because of the quirks of the auto save mini window. In v7 I no longer feel that's the case and I'm using the larger and faster interface to little by little work through my existing records and clean things up.

My sincere congratulations to you and the rest of the team!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jbs,

Thank you for your kind words! I am glad to hear that 1Password 7 works much better for you. :chuffed:

Let us know if you ever bump into any difficulties, we are always here for you. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Pete10
    Pete10
    Community Member
    Options

Currently have 1Password 4 for Windows with Dropbox. No idea what the previous comments about speed are referring to. I have hundreds of logins and 1Password 4 is instant. I'm using Google Chrome extension on Windows 10. Maybe you guys are using the wrong extension? I got my extension by downloading 1Password from Google, on chrome go to settings > More Tools > Extensions. Then Open Chrome Web Store search for '1Password extension (desktop app required)'.

Anyways, I downloaded 1Password 7 for Windows to try it out. I don't like it.

Folders are gone. Forced to use tags to organize your logins.

Pretty icons for logins are gone. Is this just a problem because I haven't purchased it? If so, you guys should make the icons functional even if it the unlicensed software is read only.

Right panel contains too much white space. This is really apparent on secure notes, there is too much white space between the right panel divider and the text box. This white space increases as the divider is moved to the left.

On the plus side, I'm glad you guys decided to allow purchase of stand-alone software. I don't like subscriptions.

I will pass on 1Password 7, maybe you guys will get it right on 1Password 8. If you are reading this and don't have 1Password then you might want to give 1Password 7 a shot. But for folks that already have 1Password 4 standalone, I would pass on 1Password 7.

• Hi @Pete10,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have hundreds of logins and 1Password 4 is instant

You might still be on the older legacy Agile Keychain that we no longer support. If you reuse the same OPVault with stronger encryption protocols in 1Password 4 for Windows, you'll notice the performance degradation right away. That's why you won't notice much difference between 1Password 4 + Agile Keychain and 1Password 7 + OPVault.

We're phasing out Agile Keychain completely in all 1Password 7 apps, so if you update 1Password 7 on other platforms, you won't be able to stick with the old Agile Keychain to maintain the sync.

Folders are gone. Forced to use tags to organize your logins.

This is true for all 1Password 7 apps, folders will never come back. We use nested tags to replace folders, they behave almost identical.

Pretty icons for logins are gone. Is this just a problem because I haven't purchased it?

Rich Icons is still here but you may need to wait or restart 1Password 7 to kickstart it, we have throttling policy in place to make sure 1Password is responsive and not let Rich Icons, Watchtower, etc downloads in the background interfere with you using 1Password.

Right panel contains too much white space. This is really apparent on secure notes, there is too much white space between the right panel divider and the text box. This white space increases as the divider is moved to the left.

We have plans to refresh the details viewer in a future update, we want to strike the right balance between information density and the form factors of the Windows 10 devices that has touch screen as well.

I will pass on 1Password 7, maybe you guys will get it right on 1Password 8.

While we do understand your feeling on this, that is not the case for a lot of 1Password 4 customers who already upgraded and loving the upgrade.

I would also recommend that you revisit once in a while because 1Password 7 is not done by far; we are continuously refining the look, adding new features in each update and 1Password 8 is not even in our view for the near future.

We're working hard on 1Password 7.3, which is going to have a much faster sync engine for the standalone vaults.

• Pete10
    Pete10
    Community Member
    Options

If I continue to use 1Password v4 with agilekeychain on my desktop, when will the iPhone app stop working?

If the 1Password 7 software is uninstalled from Windows 10, why does the data remain?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I continue to use 1Password v4 with agilekeychain on my desktop, when will the iPhone app stop working?

@Pete10: When we update 1Password for iOS to support only OPVault.

If the 1Password 7 software is uninstalled from Windows 10, why does the data remain?

Because you only removed the app, but did not delete its data.

• Pete10
    Pete10
    Community Member
    Options

For Question #1, "If I continue to use 1Password v4 with agilekeychain on my desktop, when will the iPhone app stop working?"

I was looking for a date ...

For Question #2, "If the 1Password 7 software is uninstalled from Windows 10, why does the data remain?"

In Windows 10, select
    Add or remove programs
    On the list of Apps, select 1Password
    Click on Uninstall
    A message appears "This app and its related info will be uninstalled", click Uninstall again
    A Windows 10 confirmation box pops up "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?", click Yes
    A 1Password Uninstall window pops up "Are you sure you want to completely remove 1Password and all of its components", click Yes
    A 1Password Uninstall window pops up "1Password was successfully removed from your computer.", click OK

At this point, it seems like 1Password and all its data are removed. Because the 1Password window clearly states it would remove 1Password and all of its components.

Now, I reinstall the 1Password 7 software
    First, I disconnect from the internet to make sure the data isn't being pulled down from the cloud
    Next, I check that an OPvault file doesn't exist to make sure the data isn't being pull from a file
    I double click the file 1PasswordSetup-7.2.581.exe to begin installation
    In Setup 1Password box, "Click Install to continue with the installation." click Install
    After installation, the 1Password software starts, with a prompt "Enter your Master Password"
    I enter my master password and all my login information is all there

So, I want to know why the 1Password 7 database located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1password is not removed at uninstall when the 1Password uninstall window clearly states that all components would be removed.

• @Pete10: We can't give you a date for when 1Password for iOS will require OPVault. We know it's probably going to happen, but we haven't even started working on it yet. Even once we do, we have to build it, test it ourselves, probably fix some stuff, test again, ship it to beta, fix more stuff and so on. Any date we'd give you would be arbitrary. We can't predict the future.

As for the uninstall dialogue, it makes no mention of your data. It uninstalls 1Password components, yes, but your data isn't a component of 1Password. It's a separate thing that you add to 1Password when you save data to your vault. What's more, it's yours, not ours. Just like we don't correct typos in a URL you enter into 1Password because we consider that part of your data, we don't make the assumption that you want to remove your data when you remove 1Password. There are many reasons you might want to uninstall 1Password but keep your data around and we're not going to make that choice for you – it's your data and your choice. If you want to remove your data, we've documented that in our uninstall guide and you can always elect to remove it if and when you'd like.

This discussion has been closed.