My Final Thoughts - WLANt to Sync

UanPassw0rd
UanPassw0rd
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello guys,

I have already subscribed to receive notification if you implement WLANsync and I am aware that you have a dedicated section in the forum for this but I wanted to give you my final thoughts directly. I’ll never discuss it further. Hope that’s fine.

It has now been a few months since I have not synced a single password on my devices. Different accounts pile up and I’m having hard time remembering which one is where and even harder time accessing them. Every time I need an account to login to I have to send the password through some encrypted messaging app with self destruction enabled then copy it on the other device and then making sure it’s deleted and that nothing is left in the clipboard.... It is painful. Sometimes I’ve tried typing 64 digits passwords because I didn’t have an encrypted messenger available on the device. (By the way I hope that one day you fix the font on the iOS app so I can destinguish between “I and I” - it is another great pain of mine).

Anyway. I trust you understand that I know the technical aspect. I’ve read numerous times your explanation of the drawbacks of the feature and how secure the alternatives are and how many precautions you take to make 1password.com accounts safe and secure. I hope you know that I trust your capabilities. But I don’t think you understand completely. It does not matter what technical reasons you provide me and many other 1password users. We understand them and we still don’t want any of our passwords touching the Internet for any reason. It is a question of principle and I’m sorry but no matter how secure you make an online account it will always be less secure than something that does not touch the internet. It is as simple as that.

(hope I can speak at least for some of the other users based on everything I’ve read). (Also I do realise sending the password through an internet connected encrypted messenger goes against my argument but first I don’t have a choice and second I can delete it once sent or use self-destruction)

I do not know how you will take the decision to implement WLANSync. Say if the email subscriptions you receive are 11300 instead of 11500 you don’t implement it? I do not know how a company takes such desision and I do understand that you have limited resources but I want you to know that no matter how many, you will make each of the people on that list extremely grateful for implementing it. More importantly you will make multiple other users who did not have the time to subscribe equally happy. The same way many of my fellow 1password users waited patiently (and sometimes not so patiently :) ) for stand-alone license and then bought it without hesitation and were grateful that you did not forget them, I can assure you they will be equally grateful for WLANSync.

Finally I trust you understand that stand-alone licenses and WLANSync are in a way the same thing for us. The reason many of us did not want to use 1password.com was not only the monthly fee compared to one-time payment. It was that our passwords are kept online. And releasing software that gives us the option to not store online and then robes us of the opportunity to sync without putting the passwords online is........cruel.

Yours faithfully,
1Password user

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @UanPassw0rd: Given you mentioned being involved in prior discussions, I'll try not rehash any of that here. It sounds like you are well familiar with our position and, what's more, have been quite kind and understanding about it, so thank you for that. I know we're asking folks to take it on faith that we're taking this decision seriously and that you're willing to do so and take the time to listen to the reasons behind our decision means a lot. We truly do want this to be a dialogue and posts like yours do a lot to further that and really do help to inform our decisions. We may find ourselves frustrated by these conversations sometimes, but I know that y'all take the time to reach out to us because you're passionate about 1Password. You love it and want to keep loving it or you'd have jumped ship long ago, rather than composing thorough and thoughtful feedback for us. I don't think we pause often enough to tell y'all how much we appreciate that, but we really really do. 💙

Saying no is really hard under any circumstances and even harder when we may have to say no to some of our most passionate fans. We're not too far out from when we could say yes a lot more often, so we still hate doing it and arguably, aren't very good at at. I don't have my finger on the pulse of the WLAN issue such that I know exactly how many have signed up to the newsletter or even what the threshold is for a final decision one way or another. Because it's a difficult decision, we may take some time before we make that call and I know that leaves all of you without something you view as an essential feature while we get there. Having no real timeline on when that decision might be made I know complicates things further. All I can do is apologize for that and assure you that we hear you and understand, even when we disagree. We all have different threat models and feeling comfortable that you're protected is important and personal and I'd never dream of disrespecting you by telling you you're wrong. Debate is healthy, but in the end, your views are no less valid than my own or anyone else's on these sorts of topics.

Hopefully, I can also give you a ray of hope here, if you've not read it elsewhere already. I know you have an iOS device in your ecosystem, so it may be only a very small ray for you, but folder sync for OPVault is available in the latest beta of 1Password for Android. This takes us one step closer to folder sync serving as a more customizable (and optionally non-cloud) solution that will hopefully provide some subset of the folks missing WLAN sync with a viable sync option. WWDC has come and gone and, to my knowledge, it didn't bring us any closer to a similar solution for iOS so I may not be able to count you among those this would help, but I hope this step shows we're at the least still thinking about y'all and what we can do to make 1Password work for you should WLAN sync never return to Windows. We ultimately may end up leaving some of y'all with no WLAN sync and no good alternative, but at the least we do want to do everything we can to help as many of y'all as possible continue using 1Password.

Thanks again, not only for your kindness and understanding, but for for taking the time to so thoughtfully share your feedback. Your time is valuable and we truly cannot thank you enough for spending so much of it on ensuring we hear your message. Your support, both in helping us make the right decision here and in buying and using 1Password over the years, really means a lot and I sincerely hope we're able to provide you with a workable solution moving forward, whatever form it might take. :chuffed:

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

Hello @bundtkate ,

Thank you so much for the hard work answering my question. Thank you for appreciating me as a client and 1Password fan and thank you for your kindness too. ❤️

I do not have much information on folder sync for Android but would that basically work in the following way: you copy the file from you computer (copy of a standalone vault updated in a folder) and then paste it on the Android phone via cable connection which then through the folder sync feature of the 1Password app will synchronise your passwords? And if so..how would you synchronise changed passwords from the phone back to the computer?

I’m not attached to WLAN sync. I basically do not care what feature is developed for me to sync my passwords and how complicated it is to use. As long as none of my passwords touch the internet and I can sync them with an IOS device I’m fine.... 😊 Actually if there is something that uses cable connection (not sure if folder sync plus Android does) I’ll be even happier synce it doesn’t involve local network eitherso it’s even more secure.

I’ve purchased 1Password 7 since I still want it’s features and I would not like to use outdated software for all my passwords. I’m very happy and grateful that you guys were able to provide an updated software for local vaults. As I said I’ll be basically copying and pasting passwords through encrypted messengers till a better solution presents itself.

Thank you so much for the time and efforts!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@UanPassw0rd: On behalf of Kate, you're most welcome! Folder Sync just means 1Password saves an external copy of the vault to a user-specified location. How you move that between devices is up to you, and outside of the scope of 1Password. But, more importantly, even when using "the cloud", none of your actual passwords end up on the internet. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. So between all of those options, there's just no excuse in 2018 for sending passwords through messages manually. Thanks again for your feedback and support! :)

This discussion has been closed.