How To Change Master Password - 1PW 7

Options

How do I change the master password on 1Password 7 for Windows?
Also is there a way for 1Password to be minimized once I copy a password?

Comments

• @UanPassw0rd: We're still working on some UI there, so for the moment, you can't change the Master Password for a standalone vault in 1Password 7. I know it sounds like a fairly egregious omission, but if you use a strong Master Password and don't reuse it elsewhere, you shouldn't have any need to change it, at least not frequently. For the moment, and given I know from a prior conversation you don't sync this data elsewhere, the best solution in your case would be to create a new vault (1Password > New Vault on this PC), copy or move your data there, then delete the old one (open the vault menu in the sidebar, hover over old vault, click ... > Remove vault). This absolutely will be getting better and if you do prefer to change your Master Password regularly, let us know. We do keep track of this stuff and it definitely affects how we prioritize. :+1:

Before I move on, in case anyone else comes across this or I've made some inaccurate assumptions about your setup, I would not recommend this if you're syncing this vault. In that case, I would change the Master Password on another device, then remove and re-add the vault to 1Password 7 to make sure all of your apps remain on the same page.

Now, for minimizing, that's not an option at present, but you're the second I've replied to that's asked about this today, so I'll pose the same question in case I'm letting my own habits color my opinion of what priorities should be. If you bring up mini via Ctrl + Alt + \ and search for/copy the password from there (right-click, then click copy icon next to password to copy), mini will automatically dismiss itself. Is there a reason you prefer the main app for this task?

Thanks for the feedback and I'll be sure to pass it along to the team regardless of your answers, but it always helps to know the reasoning behind your workflow choices when communicating feature requests so I like to ask when I don't understand myself. :chuffed:

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @bundtkate,

Thank you for the thorough explanation 😊.

Well...let’s give some reasoning 😊. For the minimising. It is much much much easier for me to use the full application instead of its mini version. I have much clearer view, it’s easier to find accounts, easier to use my favourites (it’s not cramped and I don’t have to scroll).

My biggest issue with it is typing everything I need every time. With the full version it’s few clicks in favourites (I can see all of them much easier) and I’ve found what I need and just press the copy button.

Instead of with the mini: type it (or try to see the favourites icon and then keep scralling till you find the account), right click it, if it’s a second password find that (whiteout much screen space) and the copy it. It’s too much work 😄 In general....I don’t really use the mini version. I’ve made an attached to the dock icon of 1Password and work from there. So far I’m not sure I have seen a benefit for me personally from the mini.

And now you understand why minimise on copy is so important for me. I had it on 1Password 4 and it was extremely useful and I’m used to it.

For the password change. It’s not like I am changing my Master Password often...but I do want to be able to change it....My current one has been used as my password for quite some time now and I would also like to make it more secure. I should be able to have that choice in a password manager...?

I very much disagree with your opinion that “if you use a strong master password and don’t reuse it elsewhere you shouldn’t have any need to change it”.....

Computers get compromised, passwords get compromised, keyloggers exist. Your master password can happen to be the same as someone whos password was compromised and end up in a database. And yes sure. If I get compromised ill probably have to change all my passwords anyway and at that point better create new vault. But I’ll be foolish if my first step is not to change my current master password. I am sorry but for a password manager company to believe that there is no need to change master passwords and stay secure at the same time is a bit disturbing to say the least...

This is in the round of creative criticism of course. I still love you guys and want you to create the best possible product. I’ve used probably every password manager ouththere including open source Linux solutions and I can find alternatives that offer more secure features (debatable) - (offline synceonisarion) but they also have enourmous design, general usability problems and lack of other extraordinary features like.......tags. At some point....what’s the point of having secure product if you won’t use it 😄

So just to ask do you have a rough estimate of when will this feature be available. Like...within 6 months...or something 😊. So I can know if it’s worth going through deleting my vault and creating a new one or wait for a proper solution to present itself.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @bundtkate ,

I don’t know what happened to the messages. Please just read the first one. I cannot delete the rest. Sorry :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don’t know what happened to the messages. Please just read the first one. I cannot delete the rest. Sorry :(

@UanPassw0rd: No worries! It looks like you just triggered the spam filter with all of that. I've removed the extra posts now so we should be all good. :)

Well...let’s give some reasoning 😊. For the minimising. It is much much much easier for me to use the full application instead of its mini version. I have much clearer view, it’s easier to find accounts, easier to use my favourites (it’s not cramped and I don’t have to scroll).

Thanks for letting us know! That makes sense, it just isn't something anyone else has asked for to my knowledge. It's something we can consider for the future, but to be honest we've got a long list of things that many others have asked for. And, in the end, I think everyone would benefit from us making 1Password mini more powerful. Then you could do much of what you rely on the main window for today, but with even greater ease. And since many people use mini almost exclusively, it will help them too. :chuffed:

My biggest issue with it is typing everything I need every time. With the full version it’s few clicks in favourites (I can see all of them much easier) and I’ve found what I need and just press the copy button.

Yep! That's something we'd like to enable in mini as well.

Instead of with the mini: type it (or try to see the favourites icon and then keep scralling till you find the account), right click it, if it’s a second password find that (whiteout much screen space) and the copy it. It’s too much work 😄 In general....I don’t really use the mini version. I’ve made an attached to the dock icon of 1Password and work from there. So far I’m not sure I have seen a benefit for me personally from the mini.

Well, then we'll just have to make it more useful for you. ;)

And now you understand why minimise on copy is so important for me. I had it on 1Password 4 and it was extremely useful and I’m used to it.

Absolutely! It really helps to know what you're trying to do. Then we can integrate that into our plans for improvements that will help others too.

For the password change. It’s not like I am changing my Master Password often...but I do want to be able to change it....My current one has been used as my password for quite some time now and I would also like to make it more secure. I should be able to have that choice in a password manager...?

Absolutely. It isn't possible today, but it's something we'll be adding. If you want us to walk you through working around this like Kate mentioned before then, just let us know if you're using 1Password on any other devices.

I very much disagree with your opinion that “if you use a strong master password and don’t reuse it elsewhere you shouldn’t have any need to change it”..... Computers get compromised, passwords get compromised, keyloggers exist. Your master password can happen to be the same as someone whos password was compromised and end up in a database. And yes sure. If I get compromised ill probably have to change all my passwords anyway and at that point better create new vault. But I’ll be foolish if my first step is not to change my current master password. I am sorry but for a password manager company to believe that there is no need to change master passwords and stay secure at the same time is a bit disturbing to say the least...

To be clear, Kate didn't say there is never a need to change a password — Master or otherwise. She made the same point I would have made, which you also touched on: there are only three reasons to change a password:

• It's weak
    • It's been reused
    • It's been compromised

Otherwise, there's no benefit at all to changing it; it's just making more work. But it sounds like you're concerned that your Master Password is not strong enough. That's not only perfectly reasonable, but it's 100% your call — after all, we have no way of knowing, and since it's your data, it's your decision. I'm sorry that this is more difficult than it should be right now, but we're happy to help with that. I'd encourage you to take a look at this guide to get some ideas:

How to choose a good Master Password

And then we can help with the rest. :)

This is in the round of creative criticism of course. I still love you guys and want you to create the best possible product. I’ve used probably every password manager ouththere including open source Linux solutions and I can find alternatives that offer more secure features (debatable) - (offline synceonisarion) but they also have enourmous design, general usability problems and lack of other extraordinary features like.......tags. At some point....what’s the point of having secure product if you won’t use it 😄

Indeed, thank you! I think we're actually all in agreement here, and it's just a matter of a small misunderstanding. Thank you for wanting to use 1Password, and for being passionate enough about it to let us know where we can do better. :blush:

So just to ask do you have a rough estimate of when will this feature be available. Like...within 6 months...or something 😊. So I can know if it’s worth going through deleting my vault and creating a new one or wait for a proper solution to present itself.

Honestly, I'm not sure when this will be available. It's high on our list, but it will probably also be a lot of work and require some serious testing. It could go smoothly, or we could run into issues. It's impossible to say. So, since you've indicated a strong desire to change your Master Password now, I think it may be best to just get it over with so you don't have to worry about it. If you'll let me know what you have to work with I can give you step-by-step instructions to get it done.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @brenty,

Thank you so much for the detailed information. Based on your responce Ive read the material provided and I believe I will go ahead and change the password so I would appreaciate some detailed instructions. I am using Windows 10 - 1PSW 7.1 :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@UanPassw0rd: Thanks for getting back to me. Sure thing! Please do the following:

1. Open 1Password and go to the 1Password menu > New vault on this PC
    2. Setup the new vault with the Master Password you want
    3. Go to your original vault and select all items — Ctrl A
    4. Right click and go to Share > (new vault) > Copy
    5. Click the vault switcher at the top of the sidebar
    6. Click ... next to the new vault and choose “Enable sync”
    7. Setup "Folder Sync" with the location you want
    8. Choose 1Password menu > Exit.
    9. Select the Start button, copy and paste the following into the search box, and press Enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    10. Rename the data folder to backup-data
    11. Open 1Password again, it will be as if you’re opening the app for the first time
    12. Select the new vault and enter your Master Password to setup the app with that vault

That should do it, but let me know if you have any questions. :)

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    Options

And I guess delete backup files that can be opened with the old password :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And I guess delete backup files that can be opened with the old password :)

@UanPassw0rd: I hesitate to tell you to delete things until we're sure you're good to go, but yes! Once you're all setup with the new vault in the app, you can delete backups and the "backup-data" folder. Better safe than sorry though. :)

This discussion has been closed.