Focus issues on macOS

Options
shawninman
shawninman
Community Member

I'm having significant trouble with 1P focus issues when using the extension in Safari. When I'm on a page but 1P is hidden, clicking the extension button brings the mini window into focus, but then brings 1P to the foreground as well, blocking Safari. Even if I click on a saved 1P entry to fill in the credentials, the main 1P window stays in focus. I have to switch back to Safari to continue working.

If 1P is not hidden, clicking the 1P extension in Safari does not force the 1P window into focus.

Here's a really quick video to summarize both examples: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgj8bscw66eugw6/1p-focus-issue.mov?dl=0

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @shawninman! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us. And you may be unsurprised to learn that we've actually already seen this and are tracking them as bugs. We hope to have a fix out for focus-related issues soon, but I can't give you any kind of timetable. Until then, thanks for your patience, and keep an eye on updates/release notes! :)

• angusl
    angusl
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing similar issues. Using High sierra and 1P 7.2.2. When the safari extension is enabled, even typing in the address bar switches focus to the 1P app. For example, trying to search for "1password focus" in the address bar switches to 1P by the first "s". Not sure if it's matching on "pass", but suddenly text is being entered into the 1P search field.

In another instance, while on this forum, simply clicking on the breadcrumb to go back a level switched focus to the 1P app.

Safari was basically unusable until I disabled the extension. Unfortunate considering I finally purchased it today and now a main feature is disabled.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @angusl! I'm sorry for the trouble, but I'm also not sure I understand it. What does "when the Safari extension is enabled" mean? If you mean: you've called the 1Password extension in Safari, then that's expected behavior; it should have focus, because that's what you asked it to do. If you meant just that it's installed an active, that's something else.

Do you experience this behavior in other browsers as well? What steps did you take to try to troubleshoot it -- have you restarted Safari? 1Password? Your Mac? If not, please restart your Mac and see if the problem persists. If it does, please check other browsers as well, if you have any installed. Let us know what you discover.

• angusl
    angusl
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

By enabled, I mean the extension is installed and in Safari Preferences, on the Extensions section, the checkbox for 1Password extension is checked (active).

When I first activated (checked that box) I started to notice some problems first when typing in the Safari address bar. I was trying to google some 1Password info, and as soon as I typed the first "s" in "1password" the safari window moved to the background and the 1Password window (1Password app was open and unlocked) was given focus and my typing was now being entered into the 1Password search box.

When I disabled the safari 1Password extension (unchecked box in Safari preferences), all problems of unexpected App focus switches stopped. I did restart the mac (and by extension both 1Password and Safari), can still reproduce it. Don't have any other browsers installed to check.

Basically the definition of switching focus, although it was happening at inappropriate times. I'll try to take some screen videos of it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@angusl - please do - video, I mean - if you can. Also, if you can grab a diagnostics report during that time, that would be most helpful. https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• angusl
    angusl
    Community Member
    Options

So...I meant to get back to this after the holidays but then I forgot to reproduce it again before upgrading macOS. And it seems to be working fine in Mojave. Maybe it was a High Sierra problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@angusl - hrm...maybe. I wouldn't think so, but stranger things have happened in my time here. However, as more and more people are adopting Mojave over High Sierra, if it WAS a 1Password problem that only manifests in HS, you're the only (to my knowledge) person who's reported such a thing, and if there are others out there, they will probably upgrade to Mojave if they haven't already. Unless you find this repeating itself on the newer operating system, I'm content to consider it closed, if you are.

• angusl
    angusl
    Community Member
    Options

Close away.

I'm just annoyed because I could reproduce it every time (as a developer myself, that's like a dream come true), and totally forgot before letting the system upgrade finally.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@angusl - I hear you. Frustrating. Well, let us know if the problem rears its head again, and we can pick up where we left off. :)

This discussion has been closed.