Windows 10 + iOS 11 issue master key

Options

I'm a long time user of 1Password for Mac + iOS with iCloud sync. So far so good.

I suggested to a college to start using 1Password, as it really helps speeding up logins and with a greater security. BUT, she has an iPhone and a Windows 10 PC. This is where my problems begun.

I installed 1Password 7 on her Windows 10 PC and bought a lifetime license(We don't have a 1Password web account). Created a vault and put it on a Dropbox folder(Dropbox is installed and syncing files OK). Installed 1Password on her iPhone and on first start, choose DropBox sync, it found the vault, no problem.

After that, some entries were not syncing with iPhone, I found out that inside the vault some weird files(band_d.js, band_D (1).js, band_D (2).js) were created, and those files were the ones that are not showing in the iPhone. As the vault was brand new, I removed the vault and give it a fresh start, removed everything, in the PC and the iPhone and created another Vault on the PC and put it on Dropbox sync folder.

After the fresh start, the iPhone started working normally and the sync is OK. I asked her to change her master password(I used "123" to allow me to configure everything). I didn't find the option in the Windows App in the security tab in the settings doesn't have the option to change master password, so I went to iPhone and changes(In the iPhone we saw the option to change master password). She changed and in the iPhone it only accepts the new password. BUT even after DropBox sync(After the change, the file profile.js was changed and synced) the Windows App doesn't accept the new password, only the old one.

After all that, how to change the Vault password synced with DropBox on all devices? In Windows I found that I cannot disable Windows Hello, is there anything related to it?

Looking for an answer.

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 / iOS 11
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

Another problem. She started using in her PC, and found out that some entries are not syncing to her iPhone. She has 20 entries in Windows and 16 on iPhone.

What the heck?!

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

Another problem. She started using in her PC, and found out that some entries are not syncing to her iPhone. She has 20 entries in Windows and 16 on iPhone.

What the heck?!

• @terciofilho: Apologies for the trouble! This was the result of an issue with Dropbox sync in 1Password 7 for Windows generally, though iOS bore the brunt of it. It is fixed in the latest beta, so if she enables betas on Windows, she should find these issues disappear. Normally, I wouldn't push someone new to 1Password to a beta, but given the importance of this fix (and that she has a wonderful colleague like you to guide her), I'd strongly recommend it in this case. :+1:

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks God! It was driving me crazy. On Monday I'll work on it. Thanks.

• @terciofilho: Yea, that one was totally our fault, sorry! 🙈 It was a tricksy one to track down, but with the help of some of our customers we were able to track it down. Hopefully it sorts things out for her, but we're here to help if any issues linger. :+1:

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

I updated to Beta but she doesn't see the missing items, should we do something to "sync" the missing ones?

Also, how to change the password in Windows? She changed in iOS, but Windows is still using the old password.

Thanks.

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate bump...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @terciofilho,

Sorry for the troubles!

You can't change the Master Password for a standalone vault in 1Password 7 at the moment, we are still working on it. Do you now see all of your items in 1Password on her iPhone or some items that were added in 1Password 7 for Windows are missing?

If it is the former, please follow the steps in this guide to reset the local database of 1Password 7 for Windows and set it up from scratch. If it is the latter, please try to manually re-create those items in 1Password for iOS and follow the same steps. Let us know how it goes.

Again, I am really sorry for this inconvenience. As for your question about Windows Hello, you can disable it in 1Password in Settings > Security.

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg!

Regarding the missing items, they still missing. If I re-create the Windows Vault, I'll lost the missing items, as iOS doesn't have it. Is possible to export the entries and import again in the new Vault?

I cannot disable Windows Hello, the option is grayed-out. But it doesn't matter, I thought that Windows Hello was "blocking" the password change, but it is not possible.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have the "missing" items on another device? It sounded like that was the case, so Greg suggested creating those on another device. Is this maybe an AgileKeychain vault stored in Dropbox? 1Password 7 only supports OPVault, so if you've converted to that on Windows but the other devices (iOS?) are still using an old AgileKeychain vault, they will not be syncing with each other; you'll need to setup all of the devices to use the same OPVault. Let me know what you find.

• terciofilho
    terciofilho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, read the thread, it's pretty clear what "missing" means. It is not an AgileKeychain, it is a new vault, created on OP7 win. I'll create the items that were not synced and see if the problem is solved.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @terciofilho,

I am sure Brenty wanted to clarify the confusion. If you do not have all of your items in 1Password for iOS now, please try to do the following:

1) Re-create the missing items in 1Password for iOS manually.

2) Make sure that you have all of your data in 1Password on your iOS device.

3) Reset the local database for 1Password 7 and set it up from scratch.

Let us know if the issue remains after that. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.