To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What's the best way to clean up obsolete logins... a new start?

thb2
thb2
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Memberships

OK, so now that I've taken a deep breath and moved past the initial confusion over the new pricing model, I'm considering a subscription.

What I have realized is that since I first began using 1P I've accumulated literally hundreds of passwords, the great majority of which are old and obsolete. What would be the easiest and least time-consuming way for me to start anew?

I thought maybe putting active ones in a vault then deleting the others (would I have to do that one entry at a time?), or--and this doesn't seem time-efficient--printing them all out and entering active ones in a new account. Would appreciate your advice on best way to handle. The OCD part of me likes the idea of purging the unnecessary ones and starting fresh but how to do that?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thb2: Hmm. I gave this some thought, and my conclusion is: Don't. Let me explain why. I get the appeal of a "clean slate". When I read your post, I started fantasizing about doing that myself. I know I never could, but man it would be freeing. But I know that it would take me a while to try to go through things to ensure I don't delete anything important, and it would be like a month tops before I realized I'd gotten rid of something I actually needed. So what I propose to you is an alternative: an "archive" vault. maybe even dump everything there* to start and then move items back when you find that you need them. You can hide any vault from the All Vaults view, so it will be out of site out of mind unless you explicitly switch to it — probably to dig something out. It may not be a perfect solution depending on your preference, but it seems to me a lot safer than actually starting from scratch. Let me know what you think.

*One caveat of the nuclear approach is that moving items between vaults breaks any links they have to other items. Just something to be aware of.

• thb2
    thb2
    Community Member

Yeah, you're right... the nuclear approach is rarely the best one ;) Our digital baggage just grows and grows adding cobwebs along the way. Thanks for the advice!

• cpultz
    cpultz
    Community Member

@brenty I love the "archive" vault idea. Thanks for sharing your thinking on that. I am going to do that for myself as well.

-cp

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cpultz: I wish I could take credit for that, but that was a tip I stole from another awesome 1Password user. We just have creative customers. Glad to be able to share that with you though! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thb2: Glad that helped! Yeah I am totally a digital packrat. But digital storage is cheap, so I guess that makes it okay, right? :lol:

This discussion has been closed.