Mac: Got automatically upgraded to 1Password 7 but I don't have an account

ScotterC
ScotterC
Community Member

Opened up my laptop and clicked ok to 1password updates because it's never been a problem before. However, this time, when making the jump to 7, all of a sudden I couldn't access my data. It's asking for a 1Password account but I haven't made one. When I click alternatives (the lower left of the dialog), it doesn't navigate anywhere. I don't know why this would be an automatic upgrade then? Only reason I can suspect is that I have other 1password accounts for work that it may have detected. So, I signed into those and have access to work credentials but now I'm stuck with 1Password 7 and don't have access to my personal accounts. Do I purposefully rollback to 6 and then just reject all upgrades going forward? Or do I have to create a web account now?

Note: There was no dialog about upgrading (as in paying) or creating an account. It was just software updates that got me into a limbo state.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mac: Automatically upgraded to 1Password 7, but I don't have an account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ScotterC: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Indeed, if you have a 1Password.com account setup in the app, you're entitled to use all of its features, so it's a direct upgrade in that case. You're free to use any of your local vaults too, so long as you have a valid 1Password.com membership, even if it's through your work. You can enable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced if they're disabled currently, and then add your vaults. This may be as easy as double-clicking them in Finder, or, if they're legacy AgileKeychain vaults, you can use File > Import to convert them. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Karel
    Karel
    Community Member

Hey there. This is really confusing. I'm a 1PW 6 standalone user, but I have accidentally upgraded to 7 (first time ever that I see this happen in my 35-year IT carreer, very strange), but I did not want that. Not happy with the new way things work in v7. So did I just upgrade to a trial version, or does this happen only to people who have local and online vaults (work account)? I already downgraded back to 6, but as the OP asked: should I "just reject all upgrades going forward?".

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I already downgraded back to 6, but as the OP asked: should I "just reject all upgrades going forward?".

It's perfectly possible to upgrade to a 1Password 7 standalone licence (I have one)—but the upgrade process is very clearly designed to lure people into a 1Password.com subscription and that has caused endless problems for people on this forum who wish to remain with a standalone licence. The way to obtain the standalone licence is tucked away at the bottom of the setup screen: Need a licence? We have those too. Alternatively it's also possible to buy a standalone licence from the 1Password 7 menu within 1Password 7—but I'm not sure that works if you've gone so far as setting up trial subscription account.

Note that 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for standalone licence users. AgileBits has said that 1Password 6 will no longer be developed so I suspect, in the longer term, the advice must be to upgrade...but to be aware of the subcription bait when you do so. ;)

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @KevinLH! We don't recommend people downgrade. As a security company, we can't do anything except recommend you use the latest version of macOS and 1Password -- and in fact, all your apps. Older versions have increasing compatibility issues as well as security holes. For right now, 1Password 6 for Mac still works just fine, since it was the current version until only about a month ago. But that won't be the case moving forward -- since 1Password 7 is now the current version, version 6 can be considered a legacy app which will not be receiving development attention. Obviously, you're free to make your own choices, but if you're having difficulties getting upgraded or have questions, I'd rather help you solve/address them than see you try to do it by confining yourself to a version that's now essentially frozen in time. Is there anything we can help with?

• alicia_alexander
    alicia_alexander
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I am having the same problem. I was a 1Password 6 user and upgraded to 7. It didn't give me the option of purchasing a new standalone license, and all of my data has disappeared (vaults are in drop box). I tried signing up for the 1Password account to see if that would allow me access back to my vaults, but it did not. So now I'm upgraded, have a v6 standalone license, an account, and no data! HELP!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Welcome to the forum, @alicia_alexander! I'm sorry for the trouble you're having right now in getting upgraded to 1Password 7. But don't worry, your data are not lost. However, since I can't really tell what the situation is on your Mac without a closers look, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#ZQP-31458-714]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @alicia_alexander only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: ZQP-31458-714

This discussion has been closed.