we are currently on 1password6. do we need to buy a new family license to upgrade to 1passwword7

owangolamaowangolama Junior Member

We've been using 1password since near the beginning. We (our family) is currently on 1password6. i'm setting up a new computer and noticed that the new version is now 7. do i need to buy a new license or are we covered?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: multiple OS X
Sync Type: currently dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:do i need to purchase 1password7 if i'm already a 1password6 user?

Comments

• 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so if you want to use it, you will need to get a new license if you want to use the standalone version, or start a membership, which gives you access to all of the various version for all platforms. Memberships are priced by the month.

If your current 1Password 6 license is a family license, things have changed since you bought it. Licensing now is per-person and per-platform. That is, you can use your license on all the Macs you use yourself. But if you want or need the other platforms, they will require the purchase of another license for each. Also, your license is for you only, Anyone else, even in your family, must have their own license now. For families, it makes more economic sense to buy a membership with a monthly subscription, instead of several standalone licenses. Family memberships are $4.99/month for up to five family members, including access to all platforms. Future upgrades would then be included too.

(Some of these changes are a surprise to established users. I'm only conveying information. I do not work for AgileBits.)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@owangolama: Indeed, you may want to check out 1Password Families in that case, as we're able to offer all of the apps there, with up to 5 family members included in the base price.

That also includes automatic offsite backup and item history for anything your family stores in your 1Password.com accounts, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits, and some perks specific to 1Password Families:

But either way, if you have questions, just let us know. We're here to help. :)

• I am a long standing user of 1Password, started with 1Password 4. Currently using Version 6.8.8 from the Apple App Store.

i understood that I can now upgrade to 1Password 7 Families and did subscribe for it on Apple App Store. I however no find that I cannot invite family members, it appears that it is only available if I subscribed from the 1Password.com site. I cancelled my subscription on the Apple App Store but it is still in the 30 day trial period. I have an account but cannot manage to download 1Password 7 from the 1Password site.

Please advise me how to get 1 Password 7 for Family now installed

thanks
    Eugene

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@eslab: Sorry for the trouble there. It's not something we can automate since we don't have direct access to Apple's systems, but since you've already canceled through Apple if you'll shoot us an email at [email protected] from your account's registered email address and post the Support ID you receive here, I can switch you over to our system, so you can invite your family. :)

• @eslab -

To add to what @Brenty just said, the family license for the standalone version, which is what I believe you have been using until now, was discontinued about two years ago, when AgileBits began offering memberships, along with the traditional standalone licenses. Your license for 1Password 6 is still valid under the terms which were in effect when you bought it. But no one has been able to get those terms for a new license for abut two years.

Also, and perhaps just as importantly, 1Password 7 requires everyone, including existing users, to buy a new license, if they want to continue with the standalone version. Licenses these days are now sold on a per-user and per-platform basis, and there is no option for buying a single license to cover a family. Each user will need a license for each version they use. So you can buy a new Mac license and use it on all the Macs you use, but you can't share that with anyone else. And if you need a license for a different platform, say iOS or Windows, that is a separate purchase too.

The most economical path for a family of several people is to purchase a membership, which is billed monthly ($4.99). That entitles up to five family members to use the applications for all platforms, and upgrades are free to paid members. This is the only way the Mac App Store sells 1Password 7, and, judging by your post, you did set up such a membership when you downloaded from the Mac App Store. Those come with a 30 day free trial, after which you will be billed for the membership. Brent has offered to get you connected with the application directly from AgileBits, but that won't change the terms for the license.

Standalone licenses are sold only from the 1Password web store.

So, to the direct advice to your query,

Please advise me how to get 1 Password 7 for Family now installed

is that you can now only share with family members if you continue with the membership you set up already.

You may use the AgileBits syncing with that, or you can continue to use whatever syncing method you used before.

(I am not an AgileBits employee. I'm only a messenger on the forum.)

• @hawkmoth: Thanks for the feedback. just to put the fact correct; I have used 1Password 6 standalone version until now and sync it with 1Password 6 on my iPhone 6 via iCloud.

I wanted to use the functionalities of the family version and decided to upgrade to 1Password 7 Families version. From what I read on the 1Password site and also the Apple App Store it seems that I could download 1Password 7 from the App store which I did (receive 1 month free trial period). The other benefit is that I pay in my country's money (South African Rand). After loading it all my vaults/data from my 1Password 6 was easily transferred, however I then realised I could not invite family members. I cannot also find a way to do it. From further reading it seems that to invite family it is required that one must use the 1Password 7 direct from Anglebits. I then cancelled my 1Password 7 subscription on the Apple App store although it indicated that it will remain valid for the trail period which will only expire on 11 july. I then tried to download the app direct from the Anglebits site and because I already have an account the App started with my secret number of the previous download and my same masterkey. It howver still not allow me to invite family. It appears if it still sees the App as an Apple App Store. Do not know how to get rid of the Apple App Store version now

Thank you for the support so far

• @brenty: thanks for the quick response. Can you please confirm that I do need the App version direct from the Anglebits site?

If so will the app still sync via the iCloud? Or is syncing part of the membership option?

If I need to buy the membership direct on the Anglebits site how do I get rid of the Apple app Store version where all my data currently is stored?

thanks in advance for your support

Eugene

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@eslab: Thanks for following up! Indeed, it can be a tough choice in your situation. A 1Password membership includes all of the apps, so that's easy. But Apple's subscription system, which you mentioned using so you could pay in local currency, is not very flexible; there's no way to change to a different type of plan there, for example to switch to 1Password Families. So we'd have to change you over to direct billing through 1Password.com, which is in US dollars, so that you'd be able to make changes to your account type through the website as well.

I'm not sure if this solves this conundrum for you completely, but you might prefer to purchase a gift card instead:

https://1password.com/giftcards/

That would allow you to avoid being billed directly through us (which could incur fees from your bank for current conversion and as a foreign transaction), and the gift card store supports additional payment methods as well, such as Apple Pay, CoinBase, and PayPal. So that may be preferable for you. To answer your other questions:

Can you please confirm that I do need the App version direct from the Anglebits site?

With a 1Password membership, you can use either the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7, or download it directly from our website.

If so will the app still sync via the iCloud? Or is syncing part of the membership option?

1Password memberships have sync built in, so iCloud is not involved, and there's no sync configuration at all — you just sign into your account in the app.

If I need to buy the membership direct on the Anglebits site how do I get rid of the Apple app Store version where all my data currently is stored?

You won't actually have to install a different app or move your data. It's all part of your 1Password account. We'll just get the billing switched over for you.

I see that there's an email from you in the inbox, so I'll follow up with you there in a few minutes so we can get everything setup for you without discussion account and payment details here in a public forum. Talk to you there soon! :)

ref: HNJ-96577-568

• @brenty; Thanks for the reply. Did received your email and sent you a detail email outlining all the issues I need to resolve.
    One thing still; Does the membership subscription from Apple App Store support the "Family" function i.e. can i invite family members to share a vault? Obviously the easiest route for me is the Apple App Store route, but I do not mind a direct membership from AgileBits. I can pay annually via credit card. I just need a fully functional 1Password 7 Family version.

Thanks again for your help.
    Eugene

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@eslab: Sure thing! Unfortunately while App Store subscriptions are convenient in many ways, it isn't possible to to change account types when being billed through there since the only options we can offer there are switching between monthly and annual billing -- anything involving a price increase is not an option (including potentially inviting more family members over 5); it makes sense from the perspective of keeping it easy to understand, but it is a limitation in this case. So you'd need to switch to billing through the website in order to be able to do that. I'll follow up with you via email with you to help you get things setup. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file