How to use Documents and linking in 1Password 7 for Windows?

Options
pdk
pdk
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Is there a tutorial/video/set of instructions that describes the use of documents in 1Password 7 for Windows? I did some searching, but couldn't find clear instructions. Now that I've been using 1Password for a while, I want to use it to store some items like encryption keys, etc. that are contained in documents. I see that I can add documents and link, but some more guidance on use would help a lot. I have the same question regarding linking.

phil

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 PRO 64 bit v1803
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• pdk
    pdk
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I've had no comments after a couple of days, so I'll let folks know what I've found and also escalate this to 1Password support.

It seems that the Mac version of 1Password had (or has) the capability to attach a document to an entry. The Windows version (at least the V7 latest beta does not have that capability. Instead, the Document category allows you to upload a document into 1Password. This "entry" can be linked to another entry (say a login). The reverse link is not automatically created and must be done by going to the login (say) editing it and linking it to the document.

So everyone knows, my use case is to have 1Password keep the passphrase for my GnuPGP keyring. I also want to upload two documents - my secret and public keyrings (which contain my secret key and public key).

I think the idea of having attached documents to an entry is a far more logical construct than being required to upload individual documents and cross linking everything (documents and other entries) together.

Also, 1Password needs to work on documentation. I know that things are changing, but differences among versions and platforms, makes it difficult to find out how to use the very valuable advanced capabilities that 1Password offers. Maybe a Wiki would help until a comprehensive document is developed.

My 2 cents!!

Best,
    Phil

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @pdk,

Thanks for writing in.

Is there a tutorial/video/set of instructions that describes the use of documents in 1Password 7 for Windows?

That's a great question, we don't have documentations yet on how to create Documents or to link them. I'll file a request.

I want to use it to store some items like encryption keys, etc. that are contained in documents

There are a few ways you can do this; first, make sure you select the vault you want by clicking on the vault selector on top left from All Vaults to your vault, otherwise 1Password will upload your files to your default vault.

1. Click on the + button to select Import Files as Documents and you can upload your files using Windows File Explorer like so:
    2. You can drag and drop files into the item list:

To link a document item to other items:

1. Edit your item
    2. Scroll down to the Related Items section and click on Link existing to add a Document item or other items you want.

I hope that helps. We have planned improvements for this, such as allowing the ability for you to drag files into an item to automatically upload it as a Document item and link it directly to that item.

• TGottschlich
    TGottschlich
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

So the solution is:
    1. upload the file into the category "Documents"
    2. link the document to the login
    3. link the login to the document

seriously or did i miss something?

In 1Password 4 (and in any other password manager) one can drag&drop the the file to the login. This would be a nice and easy procedure.

And - by linking the document to the login - if you have a couple of files which starts with the same letters you can not distinguish the right document.

• Hi @TGottschlich,

Thanks for writing in.

seriously or did i miss something?

No, you didn't miss anything, that's the workflow for now; we do plan to let you drag and drop any files onto any items in your 1Password account to do all four steps in one action. There are two separate interactions for 1Password accounts and standalone vaults, which I'll explain next.

In 1Password 4 (and in any other password manager) one can drag&drop the the file to the login. This would be a nice and easy procedure.

You can do this in 1Password 7.3 for standalone vaults as well, drag and drop.

The issue is that 1Password accounts do not have file attachments, they have Documents instead. This lets you share Document items with other users if you want and it prevents the need to sync all files at the same time; allowing for quick sync.

In order to replicate the same experience, we have to do the same four actions all at the same time, which isn't easy because it requires a lot of back and forth interaction between your 1Password account and the app such as; creating a new Document item, upload the file, and then download its unique item ID from our service, finally then update both items with the related item links. This also requires you to be online, otherwise, the links will be broken as there is no Document item uploaded with no ID to use.

• TGottschlich
    TGottschlich
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank you for the detailed answer. The update of both items (login, document) maybe could be one step for the user.
    Apart from that 1Password 7 works fine.

• You're welcome!

Yep, we'll make it happen.

This discussion has been closed.