Can we get rid of Suggested Items in Chrome mini and the desktop Mac app itself?

Options
acanton77
acanton77
Community Member

I have the Membership version.

Is there an option (or hack) to NOT show Suggested Items? It is never accurate for me and I don't want to see it. I should be able to choose what section of the passwords it should default to. It can't be all that hard to program something like this in and pop in Preferences.

Otherwise the new version works great and I like how it auto-syncs so well to your datacenter with the extra level of security. All in all a good job... with the exception of this Suggest Items nuisance.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Chrome 4.7.1.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@acanton77: Thanks for the feedback! Can you give me some examples of where is isn't accurate? We really don't want to add more preferences, as they're a great way for even more people to run into issues like this. But we would like to improve how it works for you and everyone else if we can. And thanks for the kind words! There's always room for improvement, but we're in it for the long haul. :)

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

The Suggested Items seem to just show the last several passwords I used. Well, I just used them so odds are it is showing me data that I don't want... and which is NOT ACCURATE for my needs. What I want to see on each iteration of the Mini is Favorites, not Suggested Items.

What makes the system 'think' that whatever it is showing me has any congruence to what I WANT to do next? Just because I used a password ten minutes ago, what makes the system think I need or want to use it again? Honestly, you put in a feature that really isn't a feature.

"Suggestion" means that there is some basis for your prediction of what data I need. But your system does not have such data because I don't see any indication that it is able to read my mind... at least not yet!

I've been programming systems like 1PW for about 40 years (yes, I'm probably the world's oldest programmer... started in 1973 with Ross Perot's EDS) and when I see 'features' like this I always wonder if the guys and gals who write the software actually USE the software in a real-world, production, environment! I don't think they do!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The Suggested Items seem to just show the last several passwords I used. Well, I just used them so odds are it is showing me data that I don't want... and which is NOT ACCURATE for my needs.

@acanton77: That doesn't sound like an "accuracy" issue so much as personal preference. I had thought that 1Password was showing you weird stuff — like, say, your Google login when you're in iTunes.

What I want to see on each iteration of the Mini is Favorites, not Suggested Items.

This is very helpful though. I can't promise we'll make this specific change, but I'll bring it up with the team. Thanks for letting us know what you want!

What makes the system 'think' that whatever it is showing me has any congruence to what I WANT to do next? Just because I used a password ten minutes ago, what makes the system think I need or want to use it again? Honestly, you put in a feature that really isn't a feature.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. :)

"Suggestion" means that there is some basis for your prediction of what data I need. But your system does not have such data because I don't see any indication that it is able to read my mind... at least not yet!

Seriously, did you try iTunes or the App Store? That's just one example. I can often grab license keys for apps this way too. We don't have the ability to integrate with other apps directly yet, but in many cases 1Password can detect them and "suggest" appropriate items.

I've been programming systems like 1PW for about 40 years (yes, I'm probably the world's oldest programmer... started in 1973 with Ross Perot's EDS) and when I see 'features' like this I always wonder if the guys and gals who write the software actually USE the software in a real-world, production, environment! I don't think they do!

We definitely do use it ourselves, but it's equally helpful to hear how others use it. Thank you! :chuffed:

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

We will have to agree to disagree.

From my POV you took a mature sub-system (Mini) which worked quite well, and proceeded to make it less efficient for me. Others will and differ, I'm sure.

My question to you is did you actually have a beta-testing group 'vet' the new Mini? If so, did you have anyone on the team who is over 25 years old and who understands that new features for the sake of being 'new' is usually not a system enhancement but more often a system marketing ploy?

Most younger programmers (at least the ones who work for my company (newmediacreate.com)) don't (yet) understand that just because you CAN do something is not a metric to prove or even suggest that you SHOULD! :-) I am always teaching them the KISS principle.

My advice from 40 years in the tech-biz is to solicit information from your user-base and not JUST your in-house developers. From what I see with the new Mini, you didn't do that in this iteration of the system. Perhaps you will fix it.

True, this is a minor issue, but customers will leave you for 'issues' more trivial than this. You've been in biz a long time so I know you understand THAT metric!

All in all, I like the new system, but I have to admit that showing me Suggested Items is a real irritation. You should have made it a check-box option in Preferences (and your system does not have that many display-preference options - one more would not hurt!) Assuming your system is well-coded and well-designed (which I'm sure it is,) putting in this option is a three hour job, if that!

[editorial]
    This is why we look for Open-Source products... not for the (free) cost but so that we are not at the mercy of developers who don't understand (or care about) our needs and concerns... we can make our OWN changes!
    [/editorial]

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My question to you is did you actually have a beta-testing group 'vet' the new Mini?

I can assure you there were a group of beta testers, some of whom I suspect (like me) very much wish they were still 25 years old but, in fact, are very much older. The salient point, however, in my view, is that the new 1Password mini was introduced to beta testers only in the final, or penultimate beta (I don't recall which—but very late in the beta testing process). That, and the rather rushed release of 1Password 7 before the developers exited left to WWDC, did not allow for real contructive feedback on the new 1Password mini during the beta process itself. I rather feel AgileBits is now paying the price for that.

All that said, in my experience (as a long term 1Password user) I've always found AgileBits to be very receptive to feedback and I'm sure we shall find fairly rapid development of 1Password mini to take account of some of the many comments that have been made on this forum.

Sorry to intrude on your thread but I just wanted to add another perspective.

Stephen

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Stephen_C This is not MY thread... happy to hear all different viewpoints and perspectives. I've not followed the commentary on the new system or the Mini. I didn't know that there were others out there who take some (minor) issues with it.

I normally would not make a big deal about the Mini interface except that Mini is a module that I use at least 50 times a day... so I sort of want it to "work" the way I want it to work! Personally I never had a problem with the old Mini and I've yet to understand how the new one is any better. But that may be more my lack of investigation.

To be honest, I bought into the new (paid) system for security. As long as they don't screw that up, they will keep their user-base no matter how much the screwup their interface. As I understand it, (and I do have some street-creds in this area) the new system is a level above the security of the old (free) system and to me that is what I'm buying.

That said, Agile does NOT have a history of running a locked-down datacenter like their newest competitor (VPN provider) TunnelBear does with their new Remembear product.

This is a whole new biz-model for Agile and my advice to them is to keep their eyes and ears on that part of their system. One breach or one screw-up (even minor) and they will be out of biz.

Interfaces can be fixed.

Losing all their customer's passwords can't!

I hope they know that!!! :-)

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

I made a long comment but the system 'ate' it. If I can remember any of it I will re-write it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@acanton77: I think it was just flagged and stuck in the spam queue for a bit. It looks like it's there now.

You make some great points. I think if nothing else it's worth pointing out that if we screw up with some UI stuff that's very fixable; if we screw up security stuff, while it may technically be fixable, that's a pretty intractable problem as a security company (that's why fundamental to our security model is not having our customers' secrets).

That's not to say that we want to irritate you with these changes to 1Password mini (and, as Stephen_C mentioned, others dislike other things about it), but we're able to iterate on the design and improve it over time. We'll keep working to make it less annoying to you and hopefully even enjoyable. :)

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thanks for finding my previous post. I didn't want to re-write it again! (Most often I write posts in the BBEdit text editor, save them first, and then copy/paste them to whatever chat-board I'm using. But I didn't do this on the previous post... so thanks again for finding and posting it.)

I've been using Agile 1PW for many years now and I know how customer-centric they have been, which is why the re-write of the Mini was so surprising to me. But as I said, I'm with you for the better security and the seamless syncing among all my devices. I can live with the Mini. I don't want to, but it is far, far, far, from a deal-breaker to me.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I would like to add myself to this thread, saying that I also don't find "suggested items" relevant. For me anyway. But I have to admit, I cannot think about a situation where it would be... I mean, when I'm on a website with a login registered or a form to fill with matching data (id, credit card…) , it just works, and for other uses (apps for exemple), the search field is here to help. What I would suggest when nothing matches, is to put favorite items first in the mini’s categories (in order of appearance ) and "suggested items" second. Thanks for reading.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Perhaps I’m missing something ... but the Suggested Items in the new “mini” (yes we absolutely need to be able to collapse the sidebar down to icon level to make it smaller) does everything the old mini did and then some. It presents logins for the current URL domain just like the old mini along with Identities and Credit Cards. Basically all of the commonly used items that could be used to fill in fields on the screen. And then there is still the ability to navigate or seach the vault. Moreover, IIRC the selected entry in the sidebar is remembered whenever the new “mini” is invoked. So if one prefers it to default to Favorites instead I do believe you can do that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@acanton77 - thanks for the kind words about 1Password 7, and I'm glad to hear this isn't a deal-breaker for you. We're also very glad to have user feedback, both here and via email, about what people's use-cases and their experiences/suggestions are. That's how we iterate 1Password after a major release, to refine new features and make them more usable to the greatest number of people. Thanks again for being a part of that. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tetardbleu - Thanks for weighing in on this topic. I have to agree with @OAW, myself -- the mini was changed due to a significant amount of feedback from users who did not want to (and rarely do) open the main app window. They wanted to be able to use the mini for all but the most intricate of 1Password tasks, and with the new mini, we're much closer to that than we were in previous versions. Thanks for your suggestions; we'll take them into account as we move forward with incremental updates to 1Password 7. :) :+1:

• cutupguy
    cutupguy
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to have a way of turning off the Suggested Items feature or at least be able to make My Favorites the default when I open mini. I typically open mini, select where I want to go next from either Favorites or a search, rather than going to the desired website and then opening mini.

If I usually went to a site first, then Suggested Items would have value for me. As I write this, Suggested Items is showing the login for this site...I don't see how that is helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cutupguy: In most cases, a user opening 1Password mini while viewing a webpage intends to fill login credentials there. And since 1Password can also match items to some apps now, we've switched from a "suggested logins" to the newer Suggested Items feature in version 7. Even if you don't actually want any of the items being suggested based on the website/app at that time, you're gonna have to search to find the item you do want anyway, and the search box is focused right off the bat so you can just start typing to get what you need. :)

• BriggsAndStratton
    BriggsAndStratton
    Community Member
    Options

I personally find Suggestions a pain. I never use it. It only frustrates me. Could we have a profile item that lets us set a different default, such as Favorites:? I have been a long time user and am close to looking for a new application to store my passwords. I have no idea why the change was made to Suggestions. It just adds an unnecessary step.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BriggsAndStratton: I'm not sure what you mean by "profile item", but we're looking into potentially having 1Password open to something like Favorites. But I'd like to know specifically what you're having trouble with using Suggestions, as there may be things we can improve with the feature. :)

• BriggsAndStratton
    BriggsAndStratton
    Community Member
    Options

That would be fine by me. I use a MAC with Firefox most of the time, so it would be a good idea to get others' input. I view a profile item as a place the user can record a personal preference that would then be acted on by the software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BriggsAndStratton: Thanks for clarifying! So you're thinking of something in 1Password Preferences where you could, say, specify that it open to Favorites by default. Is that correct? I can definitely pass that on to the team. I think it's important that something like that apply to opening 1Password mini using ⌘ ⌥ \ since otherwise it should give you Logins matching the current webpage, etc., as it always has. But it's something we can consider as far as opening it outside the context of a fill operation.

• Lozza7
    Lozza7
    Community Member
    Options

I have to echo most of the comments here. I really hate the "Suggestions" in the Mini. I want to be able to default to "Favorites". Please change this back. This is very very annoying.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

The UI has changed, but it's not something we can "change back" to since it didn't work that way in the first place. But as I mentioned above it's something we're looking into as a possibility.

ref: apple-3752

This discussion has been closed.