Version 7: How to add a field, change the type of fields and remove fields?

Options
chrisjames
chrisjames
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

In version 6 I could add a field, select the type of field on the right side, or remove the field altogether. How is this done in Version 7?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Dr_Owssap1
    Dr_Owssap1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @chrisjames

I'm not an AB employee, and I don't have 1P7 installed yet (still on my standalone 6 license), but from what I can tell it looks the same from 6 to 7 based on this: https://support.1password.com/custom-fields/

If you want, post a screenshot of what you're looking at and maybe we can figure it out?

Cheers,
    Doc

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisjames It should indeed be just the same as in 1Password 6! The design changed a bit (it's a slightly different looking dropdown menu) but it's in the exact same place. If you're still not finding it, a screenshot would be wonderful so we can see what you're seeing. :)

• chrisjames
    chrisjames
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Henry and @Dr_Owssap1, I pretty much figured it out. The change in the UI from 6 to 7 creates some confusion (I've been using 1P since v2)

Here's a screenshot of a new Server template from 6:

The communication is much more clear in this version:

• Delete iconography at the left makes it clear that each field can be deleted.
    • Icon at the right makes it clear that the type of each field can be changed
    • The new field at the end of each section doesn't have a delete icon, so for that reason it's more obvious that this is the area to create a new field

It's a good UI that instructs by example.

Here's a screenshot of a new Server template from 7:

This is significantly different from v6.

• There are a bunch of fields that can't be deleted.
    • The complete absence of deletable fields creates a very different UI than version 6 for a fresh template.
    • No instruction by example.
    • And it's so much longer...why not let me use my screen real estate and have the label at the left and the value at the right? Keep it nice and compact so I can scan it quickly.

What is the reasoning behind such opinionated boilerplate? Yes, it's a safe assumption that a server is going to have at least one SSH login and a hosting provider, but I do not want those fields forced on me. And I don't want one of the sections highlighted.

Keep it generic. Don't make this an opinionated tool, it reduces the value.

Thank you both for your rapid responses.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisjames Glad you figured it out. That's some great feedback, I really appreciate it—and I've passed it onto the development team to take a look at! I completely agree that adding in some of 1Password 6's best touches in iconography would go a long way in making the edit screen of 1Password 7 easy to quickly comprehend. :)

ref: apple-1587

• Dr_Owssap1
    Dr_Owssap1
    Community Member
    Options

@chrisjames Awesome post, thanks for sharing both screenshots so people can see side-by-side! (Also, thanks @Henry for passing that feedback on to the team.) Chris, any chance you could include more detail about how you got things working, for others who might have the same issue? Like me, once I switch to 1P7. :)

• chrisjames
    chrisjames
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Dr_Owssap1 sure, here is a video. But notice even at the end when I try to put a username in, I inadvertently put it in one of the non-removable password fields rather than one of the two non-removable text fields above.
    https://www.screencast.com/t/oYFAO0tSq

To be candid I'm going to downgrade to 1P6 as the new features of 1P7 offer no value to me and I am not interested in working around the issues with this UI.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisjames Thanks for the video! One thing of note I can say: the labels/fields you don't touch (leaving them with their label name and placeholder text) will not be saved with the item, so there's no need to delete all the ones you don't want—they'll go away by themselves.

Secondly, I spotted you changing a password field to a password (selecting Password again) and it cleared the data. That I've now passed onto the developers too, as it certainly seems a little weird for it not to remain. :)

I would love it if you'd stick with 1Password 7 for just a while longer—numerous bug fixes and little UI changes will be on their way before long! In the meantime, you can enjoy the new Watchtower (including haveibeenpwned and twofactorauth.org integrations), nested tags, much-improved drag-and-drop, and so so much more!

ref: apple-1590

• chrisjames
    chrisjames
    Community Member
    Options

"One thing of note I can say: the labels/fields you don't touch (leaving them with their label name and placeholder text) will not be saved with the item, so there's no need to delete all the ones you don't want—they'll go away by themselves."

No, they don't. They might not show up in the view UI but they're still cluttering up the edit UI:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/FxyfG8KFofu

"enjoy the new Watchtower (including haveibeenpwned and twofactorauth.org integrations), nested tags, much-improved drag-and-drop, and so so much more!"

Adding features does not lead to an improved product:
    https://blog.kissmetrics.com/features-doesnt-mean-success/

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No, they don't. They might not show up in the view UI but they're still cluttering up the edit UI.

Yep, that's what I meant! And that's on purpose, so you can add that data in the future without having to create all the fields manually or create a whole new item.

Adding features does not lead to an improved product.

Totally agreed. I hope you'd agree that 1Password 7 is much improved over 1Password 6, at least after we fix its early instabilities. :)

• o1y
    o1y
    Community Member
    Options

So there's no way to delete the fields during edit anymore? This is super annoying and not intuitive at all :-1: During editing it is confusing having fields I never use.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@o1y The most common item type (whoop, whoop, Logins!) don't have any extra fields so nothing to worry about there. On items with extra fields (like identities and server items) you can't delete the premade fields during editing—that way, if you need to add new information down the line (for example, your home address to an Identity or your hosting provider to a Server), you won't have to create new fields (that won't work with filling!) yourself. And of course, you won't see them while just viewing the item.

Personally, I don't miss the delete buttons on non-custom fields (it's nice to always have those fields that will autofill ready to use down the line) but I'll be sure to pass on your feedback here.

• derekcat
    derekcat
    Community Member
    Options

@Henry, I strongly agree with everyone else in this thread.. The 1Password 7 edit UI is substantially more confusing than version 6's.

I don't see any good reason why we should loose the feature to remove extraneous fields.
    Per your example, most (~98%) of the Servers that I work with are locally-hosted, so those Hosting Provider fields are a waste of space in all but a few entries - and if we did want to move the service into a hosting provider, that would naturally be a whole new server entry complete with the templated fields, so I don't think we'd be inconvenienced by having removed them in the old entry.

For some further feedback, the version 6 UI was much more clear about when you were adding a new field, as opposed to entering data in a field (such as the templated fields). The version 7 UI has gray text in each field (even if it already exists) saying "new field", this makes it harder to figure out when you're actually adding new fields.

Thanks!
    -Derek

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @derekcat. I think you’ve made some reasonable points that we can certainly take into consideration as we continue to iterate.

Ben

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my vote - I find the new UI for managing entries a huge step backwards in usability. It looks pretty, but I just can't do what I need to do. Eg one of @chrisjames initial questions was how to add a new field? I don't see the answer here, and despite messing around for a good 10 minutes in 1Password I can't seem to do it. How is this not simple and obvious?

As well as the already described problem of not being able to delete or change type of some fields, some fields cannot be re-ordered. Re-ordering those that can be reordered does not always work - one field seems to stick to the bottom of the section. If I edit the item, and drag this field away from the bottom to the middle of a section, it looks correct but is displayed with a horizontal line underneath it, unlike other items. When I click save, it shifts back to the bottom of the section, away from where I just left it.

I'd record a screencast to demonstrate, but in frustration I deleted the entire entry, thinking I'd somehow corrupted it. Now when I try to recreate it, I can't work out how to add more fields, so there's nothing to reorder anyway.

I'm on a Mac, using standalone "1Password 7
    Version 7.0.7 (70007000)
    AgileBits Store"

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

To add a new field, am I supposed to use an empty field from a different section, and then drag it to the section I need it in? I must be missing something obvious ...

• ag_kevin
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi _jack_,

If there's no blank field in a section, then it is likely a built-in section for the item. You can not add extra fields to some built-in sections. If you believe this to be an error, please let us know the section and item category that you are attempting to add the field to.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• hsiuhsiu
    hsiuhsiu
    Community Member
    Options

Address field in the built-in section for a Bank Account, please. Why don't let us add extra fields in built-in section???

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @hsiuhsiu. Address for whom? You or the bank?

Ben

• hsiuhsiu
    hsiuhsiu
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben me (address associate to the account). I think there's always a field bank address. Thanks for the reply!

• Ben
    Options

@hsiuhsiu,

An identity item may serve that purpose for you, and can not only store that information but also can fill it. :)

Ben

• ClaireC
    ClaireC
    Community Member
    Options

The downgrade in editing ability is making want to return to 1Password 6 or look for an alternative.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this @ClaireC.

Ben

• AlexCA
    AlexCA
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

A year later seems that nothing has changed. Still a bunch extra fields, that makes editing uncomfortable. I have 1P v6 license, but seems that after trying 1Pv7 I will not spend money to buy upgrade, unless you have solution.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @AlexCA.

I'm not aware of any immediate plans to change how this works. That isn't to say that we wouldn't like to make improvements in this area, but we do have some other areas of focus right now that are taking precedence.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.