Chrome - Auto Fill does not work. I tried almost everything?

Options

Hey. I just bought 1password, and imported my passwords from LastPass (goodbye). I am happy so far, it's a quite powerful tool. Only thing is that I couldn't make auto fill feature work on Chrome, and this started to be annoying because as a software developer, I am willing to save time with the auto fill feature.

What I did so far:

• Enable auto fill feature from the app itself by choosing a folder for the script.
  • Reinstall the extension

No help, it's not working. What should I try next? I read everything in the forum but nothing helped.

Thanks,
Emin.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ebsaral,

So just before we delve into the troubleshooting it will pay to ensure that we're using the same definitions and not causing each other confusion by using the same term in different ways.

We don't use the phrase auto-fill with 1Password because all filling must be initiated by the user, even with open-and-fill, it's the chaining of two operations for convenience but invoked by the user. We make the distinction because some browsers or other password managers will fill a page automatically without the user specifying so. We consider this a security weakness and so all filling must be initiated by the user.

1. We have filling the current page e.g. the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut.
    2. We have open-and-fill where we open the URL stored in the Login item and then when that page is loaded we attempt to fill. As you can imagine this does require the page directly loads a sign-in form.
    3. We have the Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords option or submit after filling. This feature does require a script saved to disk to work and also requires that 1Password filled a password field. The extension will leave focus on the password field and then ask 1Password to ask the operating system to react as if the user has pressed the return key as most well behaved forms let the user do so instead of clicking a sign-in button on the page.

Can I ask which seem to be working and which bits currently aren't. As you can imagine, if 1Password isn't filling at all that's a different set of possibilities compared to if we're filling but the submit after filling is failing. Once we have a better idea we'll see what we can suggest to get it working :smile:

• ebsaral
    ebsaral
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables for the detailed reply.

I see. So it won't fill automatically on the page load, I have to trigger it.

The shortcut ⌘+\ is not working at the moment.
    I have to right click on the browser and click on 1Password to fill, and go.

And is there any way to see shortcuts of 1Password?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ebsaral,

So the core three keyboard shortcuts are their current assigned key combinations can be view from the General tab of 1Password's preferences. There are a number of other keyboard shortcuts which aren't modifiable and we have these documented on our support page 1Password keyboard shortcuts.

By any chance do you have both our standard extension installed, which you would have obtained from Browsers - 1Password and maybe our 1Password X extension? The latter was originally built to help support the likes of ChromeOS and Linux where we don't have a native client and so is a standalone extension that connects directly to our server for those with a 1Password account. I believe it will disable the standard extension when present though and if it did that could also explain why the standard ⌘\ keyboard shortcut isn't working as that shortcut requires the standard extension working and connected to the native 1Password application on the Mac.

• ebsaral
    ebsaral
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ah, my mistake. I was doing ⌘ + / instead of ⌘ + \.
    Now I am able to see the it working.

Thanks a lot @littlebobbytables

Peace.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello @ebsaral,

It looks like our lovely forum swallowed the \ from your message. Glad to hear the keyboard shortcut is working for you and I hope that helps with using 1Password. If you have any questions about any of 1Password's behaviour please do ask away :smile:

This discussion has been closed.