1P7 Mini - What have you done?!?!

Mustavo
Mustavo
Community Member

I've been a fan since 2010, I can't think of much other software I've used for so long. I also can't think of the last time I was so repulsed by a software release that I was motivated to pen a complaint. The v7 Mini app is just awful! You've turned something that I mindlessly breezed through hundreds of times a day into a ceaseless agitation.

1) What is your expected workflow for a new password now? I use to just right click the mini right there in the browser, generate a password to the clipboard in a click. Now I have to open up the 1P7 app and create a new login just to get to the password generator. There is no password generator, nor new password "+" within the mini-app at all - nuts!

2) What is the mini window doing off on another screen? I don't care where I used it last time, I right clicked right here, in this new present context - why would you move a "context menu" to another location shadowing a context from the last time I interacted, and ignore the current context of where I just right clicked?

3) The aggressively scaled search box in the mini means you can't just grab the top and swipe the window over to the new context where I'm set to use it, instead you force me to realise I can't just click and drag, but have to make sure I land on the tiny grab bar surrounding the vault icon if I want to pick the window up to move it.

4) Why get right of the right click mini menu options from the menu bar? That was the perfect shortcut to whatever I wanted to do - new login, generate a password - now I'm constantly opening the full-blown app.

Since you've motivated me to write to you, I've often wondered why the MacOS and iOS apps don't offer to pre-fill my email as username when pre-configuring a new login, isn't that what most of us do?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mustavo and welcome to the forums! Thank you for your wonderful feedback here. Let me try to address as much of it as I can:

What is your expected workflow for a new password now? I use to just right click the mini right there in the browser, generate a password to the clipboard in a click. Now I have to open up the 1P7 app and create a new login just to get to the password generator. There is no password generator, nor new password "+" within the mini-app at all - nuts!

You can generate a new password right in Mini: open it on up and you'll see a Generate Password tab on the left sidebar. From there, you can fill or copy the password you've generated. Then, to save a new login: once you sign into the site or create your account, 1Password Mini will prompt you to add the login to your vault like so, just like always!

What is the mini window doing off on another screen? I don't care where I used it last time, I right clicked right here, in this new present context - why would you move a "context menu" to another location shadowing a context from the last time I interacted, and ignore the current context of where I just right clicked?

Mini always opens where it did last! That way, if you always like to have it on the top-right corner of your screen, for example, you can drag it up there and it will always open there. :)

We have had some suggestions for ways to improve this, and I've passed on yours of having it appear right next to your mouse pointer. Our developers will do they can to make this easier in the future!

ref: apple-1359

The aggressively scaled search box in the mini means you can't just grab the top and swipe the window over to the new context where I'm set to use it, instead you force me to realise I can't just click and drag, but have to make sure I land on the tiny grab bar surrounding the vault icon if I want to pick the window up to move it.

Well, our expected workflow is that you'd drag it around once or twice to find the place you like it, and then not touch it again for a while! You can drag it from the top-left or anywhere along the top of the Mini window, just like other apps.

Why get right of the right click mini menu options from the menu bar? That was the perfect shortcut to whatever I wanted to do - new login, generate a password - now I'm constantly opening the full-blown app.

That's not working for me on 1Password 6, and I can't recall it ever being a feature myself! New logins can most easily be created by signing in to a website/creating an account, and open Mini and press the down arrow key once to access the password generator. Thanks for this idea though, I'll pass it onto the team!

This discussion has been closed.