Chrome Extension does not always have focus when prompting for Master Password

Often times when I click on the 1Password icon for the Chrome extension and it is asking for my Master Password, even though I see the cursor blinking in the popup, when I start typing it types in the webpage I have open, not the popup. This caused me to reveal half of my Master Password to someone who was at my desk at the time. I don't recall ever having this with V6, so I just want to make sure you guys are aware of it as it can be quite frustrating and potentially a security hazard.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, Chrome 66.0.3359.181
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @taurin,

Thank you for reporting this! We totally understand where you are coming from and we take it seriously.

We are investigating this intermittent issue at the moment, but it is really hard to reproduce. Are you able to reproduce this issue reliably on your computer?

Additionally, please provide more information about your computer, is it a laptop? Also, do you have any other extensions installed in the browser? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• taurin
    taurin
    Community Member

I can definitely relate to hard to reproduce bugs. You know they're there, but you just can't make 'em happen.
    Oddly enough one of the hard parts about reproducing this is that once I make it happen, it seems like 1Password is "stuck" in "broken mode" which means every time I open the dialog, it is not active, which means typing to search types in the webpage instead and even clicking outside of the dialog does not close it unless I click on the dialog to activate it first, then click outside.
    Despite this, I'd say one way I was able to get it to happen was:

• Make sure 1Password is locked
    • Click on the Windows tray icon for 1Password
    • When prompted for your master password, click outside of the dialog to make it close and do not unlock
    • Go to a website in chrome you want to log in to
    • Click the 1Password Chrome icon
    • This seemed to get it to break for me.

As I said, I don't know how reliable this is, because once it is "broken" it is tricky to get it working again, so I haven't been able to go back and forth to make sure this consistently causes the issue. Hope it helps!

This is being done on a desktop PC. I'm a chronic multi-tasker and I have maybe about 2 dozen tabs open at a time across 2-3 browser windows. Don't have much in the way of extensions. I have: Reverse Youtube Playlist, GoToMeeting for Google Calendar, Adobe Acrobat, and 1Password extension (desktop app required)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! While I'm not able to reproduce it that way, I've passed on your comments here to the rest of the team in case anyone else is able to and this helps us discover what could be causing this.

ref: OPW-1298

This discussion has been closed.