I dont see an answer to my "Password not being accepted." question. Why is this?

Options

Yesterday I requested a 30 day trial of 1Password. I have downloaded the app to my PC running window 10.
When I run the app it requests the Master Password.
I have created the Master Password.
When I attempt to enter it , the app reports that it is the incorrect password.
I have checked the site for help.
I have followed the suggested solutions, such as checking for Caps lock, ensuring that the caps in the password are entered as caps, ensuring that my email address is entered correctly, etc.
I have also tried using a tablet and logging in via the Google browser.
None of these solution has worked and the Master Password is still not accepted.
If I cannot solve this then I will have to terminate my free trial and try another companies password vault.
Thanks for any help you can give.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password not being accepted.

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @CliffDarcy,

Sorry for the troubles!

If you are able to sign in to your new account at 1Password.com in the browser on your PC, please try to do the following:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Rename data folder to backup-data
    3. Open 1Password and sign in to your account anew:

This should give 1Password a chance to recreate your database correctly. Please give this a try and let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• CliffDarcy
    CliffDarcy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

I have tried what you suggested.
    I had a challenge renaming the 1password directory as it said it was open in another program.
    I finally found that the Google extensions had opened the 1password directory.
    I disabled the extension and was able to rename the directory as you suggested.
    Maybe in the future for other users, you could mention that this stops the directory from being renamed, as it not obvious.

I then downloaded the app exe file and ran it, to install the app software and ran it.
    I inserted all the data required manually.
    But the app still did not accept my data.

Cheers
    Cliff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have tried what you suggested. I had a challenge renaming the 1password directory as it said it was open in another program. I finally found that the Google extensions had opened the 1password directory. I disabled the extension and was able to rename the directory as you suggested. Maybe in the future for other users, you could mention that this stops the directory from being renamed, as it not obvious.

It's not something I've ever seen myself or heard of happening before, but we'll keep it in mind going forward.

I then downloaded the app exe file and ran it, to install the app software and ran it. I inserted all the data required manually. But the app still did not accept my data.

You'll need to enter all account credentials exactly for it to work: email address, sign in address, Secret Key, and Master Password. If you've made changes to your account after saving your Emergency Kit, you'll need to save a new one for those to be reflected. And of course we don't have that either. Are you able to sign into the website?

This discussion has been closed.