Why does 1P prompt for master password when extension is open?

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

I opened 1P X from the Chrome extension bar, and entered my master password, and 1P opened.

Then I went up to the Mac menu bar and clicked on the 1P menu item, and 1P insisted that I enter my master password.

In earlier versions (6/1P mini) if I had opened 1P mini from the browser and then went to the Mac menu bar, I didn't have to reenter my master password.

Is this new behavior what is intended?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: X 1.7.3
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner The behavior hasn't changed between 1Password 6 and 1Password 7—the only lock/unlock state that will sync is with the 1Password app and 1Password Mini (along with our classic, app-dependent extensions). 1Password X is completely separate, so its lock state will not sync with the 1Password app/1Password Mini on your Mac.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or if you need help switching to the classic extension (which will unlock along with the rest of 1Password on your Mac). We're here for you for more anytime!

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

I presume that going back to 1P mini just means uninstalling/disabling the X extension and reinstalling mini, no?

Is the roadmap heading toward replacing Mini with X eventually, or is the intention to maintain/improve both moving forward?

• dalton
    Options

@camner: It's not clear whether 1Password X even could replace the 1Password extension so right now we're focused on maintaining/improving both. We're hoping to get 1Password X to a point where it communicates with the native applications so that lock status are synced between the two, but there's some work we need to do before then. If having both 1Password for Mac and the extension locked/unlocked at the same time is very important to you, then I recommend switching back to the 1Password extension for now.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

No, I don't know if it is that important. I'm trying out 1P X to see if that feels like enough of an "upgrade" to the 1P experience to make me want to shift away from 1P mini. I'd say the jury is still out on that one for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner: That's good incentive for both teams to make them even better. ;)

This discussion has been closed.