To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

JeromeCamp
JeromeCamp
Community Member

What is the difference between an account, a subscription, and a membership?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What is the difference between an account, a subscription, and a membership?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JeromeCamp: Interesting question! When you sign up for a 1Password.com membership, you'll get an account you use to sign into the website and apps to use 1Password, and you'll pay a subscription billed either monthly or annually for the service -- which includes all of the apps features. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

And (mainly for others who may be reading this) a LICENCE is a one-time purchase, and d is NOT connected with an account.

Subscriptions are the solution normally recommended by AgileBits.

• JeromeCamp
    JeromeCamp
    Community Member

Thanks brenty and danco!

VERY helpful and MUCH appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. Cheers! :)

• Georgina_Reed
    Georgina_Reed
    Community Member

Assistance please. I had 1Password 3.8.22 in my original iMac desktop OSX 10.8.5 for many years. When recently I got another computer OSX El Capital V 10.11.6, and transferred everything over, including my 1Password, it wouldn't work. My IT man told me I needed to upgrade 1Password. Not knowing it wasn't free anymore, and not knowing what version to upload I somehow uploaded 1P6 to my new computer. I did not realise it was a free TRIAL version, which has now expired. I can no longer use 1P6 as I now have a window requesting me to pay $102.99 AUD for 1Password 6 for Mac. In all posts I've read on these forums, 1P6 is around $64, and less for a subscription (per month). Presumably these figures are in US$. I dont know the exchange rate but from $US64 to $AUD102.99 doesn't compute in my brain. Also, I don't know what $102.99AUD includes or how long it's for, or any other details. I don't know if this is the subscription price or a stand alone price, and I've no idea if I also need to buy a licence. I'm very confused about the whole thing. I am a single person 70 years old with limited income and no family and just want a simple 1Password program with no bells and whistles, to store my passwords, logins, et al. I dont have a smartphone so dont need to synch anything anywhere. Can you please tell me what you can offer me and if there is a time payment plan, as I don't have $102.99 to allow me to access my now locked 1Password 6 program that is just sitting in my computer looking at me with it's hand out waiting for money. I feel like I've been ambushed. Please help. Georgi

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Georgina_Reed: Thanks for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the confusion. There's a lot to unpack here, so please bear with me!

First, you are correct: 1Password is priced in US dollars in most cases. If you sign up for a membership through Apple, the subscription will be charged in the currency for the regional App Store you're signed into -- so probably Australian in that case. Otherwise, subscriptions through 1Password.com, 1Password.ca, and 1Password.eu are charged in US dollars, Canadian dollars, or Euros, respectively. Or, if you purchase a license through the Fastspring store (through the 1Password 7 desktop app), that will be converted to the currency you choose. Again, I'm sorry that it can be a bit confusing, but such is the way of doing things in the global software economy nowadays. :blush:

Regarding "time payment", we don't expressly offer that, but if you choose monthly billing for a 1Password membership subscription, you'll be paying roughly 4$US per month. I'm not sure what that comes out to in Apple's pricing tiers in AUD off the top of my head though. It does sound like that might be a good option for you, as it includes all of the app, and you won't have to deal with license management or sync configuration, and you'll always have a backup of your encrypted data you can access with your account credentials if something happens to your Mac and/or other devices.

However, I should tell you upfront that while that will work for you today, with 1Password 6 on El Capitan, that is the old version and it will not be receiving additional updates, as it was discontinued last year. So it's possible that changes on your computer and/or with our service might cause trouble for it in the future. You can still use the 1Password.com web interface with an updated browser though.

So, with that in mind, if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here, we can walk you through getting things setup the way you want. :)

This discussion has been closed.