To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret Key recovery

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to recover my Secret Key.

Comments

• fhqreufqi
    fhqreufqi
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

so you guys mean once users lost secret key, they have to buy new one or, to become membership from the beginning?
    I bought 1password from Appstore, and I never received secret key. Just I've been using for 2 yrs or more on localhost.
    Agilebits doesn't have even one recovery system at all just in case users lost their 'secret key' except 'emergency kid'?
    I need secret key to get 'Emergency Kid'. You all recommend with knowing it right?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The Secret Key is part of the membership subscription. It is generated during the setup process and you are very strongly advised to print out the Emergency Kit which contains it

I you have the old-style licence (quite likely if you have been using 1PW for more than two years) you don't have a Secret Key.

No, by design AgileBits don't have a recovery system. Fundamentally, this is a security risk. If they could do recovery, they could be forced by government action to provide ways of getting hold of your data (or there would be a risk of hacking). It was a security decision on their part, which was a reason many of us chose 1PW rather than any of the other password managers, some of which have been hacked. But it does have its downsides, there's no way out if you forget your Master Password (or Secret Key, if you subscribe).

• Jacob
    Options

@fhqreufqi Sorry about the confusion. As danco mentioned above, the Secret Key is half of what you use to sign in to your account, and the Master Password is the other half. Without both, you can't sign in and access your passwords. We can move your subscription over to a new account of course, but it's important to not lose your Secret Key and Master Password. Only family and team accounts have a way to recover them, and they require that you have someone else in your account capable of recovery.

• AgileBits_Customer
    AgileBits_Customer
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding the two answers above. I purchased a family license over five years ago and received license information without any mention of Security Key. 1Password is running fine on the my and my family macs. Now when I attempt to install on another computer or log onto the web app I'm asked for a Security Key. I followed the instructions on how to recover the Security Key but the login process eventually asks for the Security Key, dead end. What is this all about?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AgileBits_Customer: Indeed, the Secret Key is part of a 1Password.com membership account, and since those did not exist five years ago, you wouldn't have one at all. Signing up for the membership is the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Where do you have your data currently?

You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership though, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Either way, let me know if there's something I can help with. :)

• AgileBits_Customer
    AgileBits_Customer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the feedback. First I'm puzzled, are you saying that although I'm a paid 1Password user, with a family license, I do not have a 1Password.com membership? If so, what does a membership provide beyond product licensing? Obviously I cannot log onto the web account as I don't have a Secret Key, nor it appears can I install on a device. From what you say above it simplifies license management from AgileBits perspective.

How does my existing license, and family, apply to the new membership? Do I need to come up with fees once again?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Options

Membership (subscription) covers all platforms, all versions. A licence only covers one platform and only for one major version of 1PW. Also membership does not require any syncing setup, that's done automatically. That turns out to be very useful for new users, though well-established users might have things set up as they want already.

See https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ for some of the advantages of 1PW, those I have mentioned and others.

• AgileBits_Customer
    AgileBits_Customer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the link. After further research I realize that AgileBits changed the business model from a license purchase model to a subscriber monthly fee model. While as an end user I'm not happy with the additional ongoing costs I realize many companies have made this switch, to improve the bottom line.

• AgileBits_Customer
    AgileBits_Customer
    Community Member
    Options

While I'm provided with the right to make the decision whether to stay with the licensing arrangement I have now with my older license or to upgrade to the membership version and take advantage of "additional" features, that's not actually the case. If I attempt to add my existing license to another device I'm prompted for the Secret Password roadblock. In effect if I cannot figure out how to get around this I effectively lost functionality of the license I purchased. Please tell me I'm wrong.

• Ben
    Options

@AgileBits_Customer

If you're sticking with the license you purchased 5 years ago you'd need to install the version of 1Password that you purchased. Your license likely includes up to 1Password 6. 1Password 7 would not be included with your license. Do not select the option to sign in to a 1Password account / 1Password membership. You do not have one. Instead select the option to sync your existing vault from the sync service that you use for it (iCloud or Dropbox).

If you'd like to use 1Password 7 you'd either need to upgrade to a membership or purchase a 1Password 7 license:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• AgileBits_Customer
    AgileBits_Customer
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, great, thanks for the additional information and links. One last question. Now the 1Password vault is shared between computers through Dropbox. Is it the same with the new version? If the vault is maintained on AgileBits cloud, does it sync'd to the local computer so I have access without internet service?

Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

My pleasure. If you upgrade to a 1Password membership which includes 1Password 7 you no longer need to use Dropbox to sync. Your data is cached locally for offline access, but 1Password.com is the sync service (not Dropbox).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.