Using subscription service, but also license for my work vaults- syncing, using, etc.

Options
kevbob
kevbob
Community Member

So, I saw a couple topics that were kinnnnnda close... but not exactly this. Let's hope this does it.

I have 3 Macs, 2 iOS devices and a couple android tablets.

For several years, I have used Dropbox + my stand alone licence, and all was great. One primary vault for me, and several work vaults shared with the company. My primary is of course duplicated across all my devices, and my work vaults are used on my company laptop and my iPhone.

I really love the idea of the subscription though, so I tried that out on trial, and am currently paid up. I upgraded to 1Password 7 on only my work laptop to start, when I went on the subscription. I copied over the stuff in the primary vault and had essentially two copies at that point. I open that with my old vault password and I see 2 entries for each site- one from the primary vault, and the other from the subscription.

After several weeks, I pulled one of my Macs that was in relative deep storage; downloaded 1P 7 and moved 1P 6 to trash. When I opened 1P7, I used my new vault password to open it. No primary vault was to be found at this point. (I suppose I could simply point it to the agilekeychain on Dropbox to make it appear.)

Before I cut to the chase, a recap- several devices running 1Password, one of them is a hybrid licence+vault/subscription, one more of them is on the subscription only. The rest are running licence+vault.

Here's what happened- I tried logging into some site under the formerly deep storage Mac, and found the password didn't work. Huh? I looked at the last modified date, and then on my work laptop with the two instances of 1Password data, and found one of those hadn't been updated. I presume I changed the password on a site, and likely didn't make sure it was updated on the subscription opvault.

So! Two questions:

1) Now that I see I may have to reconcile the two versions of password data, is there any easy way to sync the two?

2) How do I modify my work flow with the work laptop running both the vault+licence and the subscription, since I still have to use vaults for my work data? Can I stop using a primary vault there?

Thanks for reading all the way down to here!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevbob - sorry for the confusion and difficulty!

I copied over the stuff in the primary vault and had essentially two copies at that point.

This is where things started to go off the rails a little bit. It's great you got your stuff copied over, but (as you've noticed), having two separate copies of the same data in different vaults means when you change/edit/update something in one copy in one of the vaults, the other is unaffected. The presumption is that users will neither need nor want two identical-but-unsynced copies of something in two separate vaults; deleting the old Primary vault would have been the way to keep things tidy and trouble-free, once you've upgraded. Then, any/all other instances of 1Password that were previously syncing via Dropbox can be erased - their data reset - and you just sign into your new account that you moved all your data into. Bingo, one copy everywhere, synced via 1password.com.

I say this ^^ not to berate you for "doing it wrong", but to explain how we're going to right things. It's a little more complicated now, but don't panic, you'll be fine. We're still not going to sync the data -- because we only want the single copy; the one in your 1password.com account. What we'll do is compare records and merge/update as necessary. Here's how:

1. Figure out when you started using 1password.com. I say "started using" and not "signed up for" because sometimes these are different. What you want is to figure out the date you copied your data over. That's the starting point because at that time, everything was identical.
    2. Open 1Password on the first Mac - the one you used to copy the data over. Use the vault menu in the main window's upper left corner to switch to your Primary vault.
    3. Make sure All Items is selected in the left sidebar, then click the sorter at the top of the item list and set it to sort by Date Modified, like this:
    4. Look for any items that have a date-stamp on or after the date you copied the items initially. Anything in the Primary vault that's been changed since then needs to be updated in your 1password.com account's vault.
    5. Switch to your 1password.com account vault and move the copies of any items you noticed as having been changed in the Primary vault to the trash.
    6. Return to the Primary vault and copy those items that had been modified once more into the 1password.com vault. This will result in you having an up-to-date copy of everything in your 1password.com vault.
    7. Open Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1password.com accounts." You'll need to enter your Master Password for the account to do this, but when finished, you'll have only your 1password.com account in this copy of 1Password 7 for Mac.
    8. On other devices except your work Mac, use these instructions to Start Over (every platform is covered). When you restart 1Password on those devices, just sign into your account, and everything will be in sync.
    9. On your work Mac, switch to the Primary vault, and move all your personal items to the trash, leaving you with only that which you need for work. The idea is to not have any duplicated-but-unsynced copies of any data.

That should take care of it, but let us know if you hit any snags.

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback/tip Lars, appreciate it, I can definitely take some time to fix it according to those steps.

I'll give you my background on why I did what I did-

Since I was running the subscription on a trial, I didn't know if I would continue using it or not, so if I was just going to use the vault after the 30 days were up, I would not have had to add it back. The other issue was "Gosh, if I delete a vault is that gonna mess all my other devices up?". I can see now it wouldn't have (I think!) but I'm averse to deleting data that lives in the cloud and is connected to other devices. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@kevbob

I'm averse to deleting data that lives in the cloud and is connected to other devices.

I hear you, it takes a bit to get over ingrained responses we've had for years, even when circumstances change. Happily, in the case of 1password.com, you have a local cache of the data on each device you're signed into your account from. That means that even if all instances of our server were to melt tomorrow and all of us AgileBits humans were to be abducted by aliens, you'd still have your vaults. They just would no longer be syncing with 1password.com. And it would be trivial for you to re-create a local vault setup and move your data back over into that (or even export it using your native 1Password app for use with another password manager) and continue right on your merry way.

I do hope you'd at least try to notify the authorities that we'd all been abducted by aliens, however. ;)

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I ran into one slight roadblock.

I removed it from my iPad, but right as I clicked the X to make it go away, I screamed in agony.

I knew I made a terrible mistake, right as the wiggling icon vanished in seemingly slow motion, out of my life.

It's an original iPad Mini, and I cannot download the new version on the app store as it is not supported.

I assume I would not have been able to get the new my.1password account to work with it anyway, but it's also the only way to easily get into my iOS password when I need to tell Apple that yes, I still own this device, and yes, I still want stuff on iCloud, for which I need to enter in my very long and complex password that I will never remember.

I have no backup of the old app. It does not appear to be downloadable on your download page.

Any suggestion, other than open my iPhone when I need to access my password?

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Oh hey, I just realized I can log in via Safari. Well that'll work!

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, no, it did not. Safari just blanked out- white page, nothing loaded.

But after a few hours of digging, I found the way to get the old app back. I posted the full details in this long thread-

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83956/after-ios-11-release-how-do-i-download-and-install-1password-6-for-ios-10-devices

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@kevbob - ugh, what a hassle. I'm glad you finally figured out a solution for it, and thanks for posting that here! Let us know if you run into any other difficulties -- but aside from this little glitch, things should be smooth sailing from here on out: that's what we built 1password.com for. :)

ref: PGS-46113-443

This discussion has been closed.