Potential Data loss when moving items to another vault

Options
mia
mia
Community Member

1PW latest version as of 6/17/18

https://i.imgur.com/QyJQ8Dk.png

So I guess I might have had some data loss. I moved my parents' passwords I use for their accounts [they don't use a computer] on my own computer to another vault to segregate their information.

When I moved their stuff, the attachments were lost. Then, in an unfortunate turn of events, I noticed my trash was rather large and emptied it.
I just realized none of the attachments moved over. I now have to go through a backup vault and see which items had attachments and which didn't and copy them over. I realize this is a 1 time loss here, but wow this is really a headache and a big deal (unless iI am missing something?)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mia: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm a bit in the dark though for two reasons: you didn't include any information about your setup, and, perhaps more importantly, attachments are only used is local vaults. Can you tell me more about the situation? Are you using a 1Password.com account?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    I want to apologize--rookie mistake on my part for not providing more information. I was in a mad scramble trying to recover attachments from a backup and importing into the new vault.

7.1.567 - Windows - Local Vault (3 vaults - I manage my entire family's (wife, kid, and my mom/dad) account passwords based on their request). I previously used tags to separate my stuff and theirs, but then decided it would be better to split them into vaults.
    I used the right click / share / move functionality. That yellow error popped up (https://i.imgur.com/QyJQ8Dk.png) saying that attachments weren't moved. I saw another thread where I think you explained the rationale but holy cow this is really concerning and terrifying for data loss. Attachments are still a huge part of my 1Password life (e.g. passports, AAA cards, etc..).

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

OK, all of my attachments have been restored. If I am understanding the whole situation correctly, that window needs to be in red with flashing lights and sirens to indicate that attachments have NOT been carried over, which can be a potentially critical loss depending on what the user is storing in 1PW.

The way I understand is that when moving entries in Windows between vaults, you lose the attachment and if the user is not careful to go back and re-attach (especially if they are moving a LOT of entries like I did), then they will lose data.

I also learned that one can use "file:" which is how I found the old attachments from my backup. If I am understanding this correctly, the user should be some kind of acknowledgement window or something. It could have been pretty bad for me :(

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

As I was moving the last piece of content, using the right click menu, 1Password crashed. It turns out that entire entry got wiped out by 1Password. I will pull it from another previous backup.

Here is the log (I removed the token details as I have no idea if that was a security threat)

Application: 1Password.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException
    at System.String.StartsWith(System.String)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData+<>c__DisplayClass40_5.b__5(AgileBits.OnePassword.ScreenItem)
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any1<System.__Canon>, System.Func</code>2<System.__Canon,Boolean>">[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData+<>c__DisplayClass40_4.b__4(AgileBits.OnePassword.ScreenItem)
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereListIterator1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]].MoveNext() at System.Linq.Buffer1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.__Canon>) at System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable1+d__1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]].MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Lookup2[[System.Char, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]].Create[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.__Canon>, System.Func2<System.__Canon,Char>, System.Func2<System.__Canon,System.__Canon>, System.Collections.Generic.IEqualityComparer1<Char>) at System.Linq.GroupedEnumerable3[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************],[System.Char, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]].GetEnumerator()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectEnumerableIterator2[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]].MoveNext() at System.Collections.Generic.List1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.__Canon>) at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.__Canon>)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData.SelectDisplayList(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.Object>, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<AgileBits.OnePassword.ImItemGroup>, Boolean)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData.CreateDisplayList(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<AgileBits.OnePassword.ScreenItem>, AgileBits.OnePassword.SortBy, System.String, System.String, System.Uri, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.Object>)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceMaxi.Refresh(System.Action)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData.RefreshScreen(System.String)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceData+<>c__DisplayClass237_0.b__0()
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.b__11_1(System.Object, System.Threading.Tasks.UnobservedTaskExceptionEventArgs)
    at System.EventHandler`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=****************]].Invoke(System.Object, System.__Canon)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler.PublishUnobservedTaskException(System.Object, System.Threading.Tasks.UnobservedTaskExceptionEventArgs)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Argh, now I have 5 offline changes that aren't syncing. Nothing I do helps. I sync to Dropbox.
    I run a very very clean system. No security software. Windows defender removed/disabled Windows 10 x64.

EDIT: I see the problems in the log: "
    sync error: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Dropbox\Apps\default'."

EDIT2: Fixed this offline change issue. Somehow default folder moved out of the folder [might have been a glitch in 1PW since I never did this] earlier which I moved back. The solution was to close the vault, stop syncing, wiping the offline changes and then going back and re-adding the attachments. Messy, but it worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mia: No need to apologize. I'm sorry to not have had more to offer you earlier, but I'm sure we'll get this sorted. It does seem a bit wild though... :dizzy:

Regarding the crash, I've never seen anything like that, and what stands out to me is "Canon" everywhere. Do you have a Canon printer? It looks like somehow its software may be causing the crash. I can't even imagine how or why...but then again I do remember some of my own experiences with their software...

OK, all of my attachments have been restored. If I am understanding the whole situation correctly, that window needs to be in red with flashing lights and sirens to indicate that attachments have NOT been carried over, which can be a potentially critical loss depending on what the user is storing in 1PW.

I'm not entirely sure we're on the same page here. Those attachments won't be "lost"; they just don't go to the destination vault. You should still have them in the original though; they'd just be in the Trash due to the "move" (copy+delete) operation. Does that help?

The way I understand is that when moving entries in Windows between vaults, you lose the attachment and if the user is not careful to go back and re-attach (especially if they are moving a LOT of entries like I did), then they will lose data.

I think you're thinking of 1Password.com item links/related items, as most often used for Documents. The links are not retained when moving between vaults, but the items themselves are not lost in the process.

I also learned that one can use "file:" which is how I found the old attachments from my backup. If I am understanding this correctly, the user should be some kind of acknowledgement window or something. It could have been pretty bad for me :(

I'm glad that helped, but let me know if my comments above are more useful, at least in helping unravel things.

Argh, now I have 5 offline changes that aren't syncing. Nothing I do helps. I sync to Dropbox. I run a very very clean system. No security software. Windows defender removed/disabled Windows 10 x64.
    EDIT: I see the problems in the log: "sync error: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Dropbox\Apps\default'."
    EDIT2: Fixed this offline change issue. Somehow default folder moved out of the folder [might have been a glitch in 1PW since I never did this] earlier which I moved back. The solution was to close the vault, stop syncing, wiping the offline changes and then going back and re-adding the attachments. Messy, but it worked.

I'm a bit confused by all of this, because 1Password doesn't handle sync for these local vaults itself; Dropbox does. Do you have a 1Password.com account that you're using as well? Also, 1Password can't move the folders. Did you perhaps accidentally drag it somewhere else while you were trying to unravel things? I've definitely relocated folders like that by accident -- especially on Windows, for some reason. It sounds like you've gotten things (mostly?) sorted, but I'm definitely interested to hear any other details in case they can help shed some light on this bizarre chain of events.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

". Do you have a Canon printer? It looks like somehow its software may be causing the crash. I can't even imagine how or why...but then again I do remember some of my own experiences with their software..."

No, brother laser printer. There are no canon devices attached to my computer. Additionally, process hacker shows no Canon handles in anything in active memory.

"I'm not entirely sure we're on the same page here. Those attachments won't be "lost"; they just don't go to the destination vault. You should still have them in the original though; they'd just be in the Trash due to the "move" (copy+delete) operation. Does that help?"

Yes, it does. I didn't realize that's why my trash was empty. I do think that a general user would want to move attachments and not have them trashed. Not sure why it was designed to be this way, but I am guessing technical limitations.

"I'm a bit confused by all of this, because 1Password doesn't handle sync for these local vaults itself; Dropbox does. Do you have a 1Password.com account that you're using as well? Also, 1Password can't move the folders. Did you perhaps accidentally drag it somewhere else while you were trying to unravel things? I've definitely relocated folders like that by accident -- especially on Windows, for some reason. It sounds like you've gotten things (mostly?) sorted, but I'm definitely interested to hear any other details in case they can help shed some light on this bizarre chain of events."

No 1PW account - only local (3 vaults now). I could have dragged the folders accidentally, but honestly I don't ever go into it unless I need to.

All is good in this thread though except for that 1 crash I experienced. I do have another thread about attachments showing up in the list and I see you responded to that.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mia,

Thank you for your detailed reply! I am glad to hear you are all set now. However, if you ever bump into that weird crash again, please let us know, so we could investigate.

If you have any other questions (or if I missed some of your questions above), please tell me. We are always here for you. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.