Licensed but not a membership-How do I install on New PC

I have a new computer with Windows 10. I do not have a membership, but do have a license. I need to install 1Password on my new PC, but the prompts ask for secret key (which I don't have). Can you provide step by step instructions on how to put 1Password on my PC? The version I have is 1Password 4 I believe? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Shadowen
    Shadowen
    Community Member

Hello Rharney,

I found this excerpt from a support article at https://support.1password.com/secret-key/, hopefully it addresses your situtation.

HELP
    Do I have a Secret Key?
    You have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password membership, or if you belong to a family or team account.

If you purchased 1Password as a standalone app without a membership, then you don’t have a Secret Key, and you don’t need to sign in when you open the app.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @Rharney,

Thank you for reaching out!

It sounds like you have downloaded 1Password 7 for Windows, which is a paid update for the 1Password 4 license owners. If you are using 1Password 4 for Windows on another PC, please download 1Password 4 from here. You should be able to activate it with your existing license. Let me know how it goes.

However, please note that 1Password 4 for Windows is an old app that will not receive new features in the future. 1Password 7 for Windows is our our new app that we are building from the ground up and I would recommend you to take a closer look at it.

Moreover, I would recommend you to sign up for 1Password account, instead of standalone license, as 1Password 7 for Windows is included for free there. You can learn more about the benefits of 1Password account in this post on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

1Password account is a great way to get 1Password for all your devices and spread the update costs out across monthly payments to make sure you stay up to date.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Rharney
    Rharney
    Community Member

Thanks Greg. Much like anything else these days, each company needs to add value to the customer (including yours) in order to stay in the highly competitive business we face. I really don't need additional features, however think it is great for those who do, to have that availability. My very simple task here was to simply download 1Password 4 to a new computer. I have found that that is not such a simple thing to do because your company is progressing very fast (again, not a bad thing). It was not clear that I needed to go to a "legacy" section of your website. Even then, it kept diverting me back to the "free trial" version of the membership. I mistakenly loaded & deleted it twice. Even though the title of my 1Password says "Free Trial 1 Password 2", when I check the properties it clearly says I am in 1Password4 (who knows, guess I'll find out when the trial expires). I did this at the direction of another customer service rep for Agile bits.

My point is that I have paid $50, 3 or 4 years ago for a software that I wanted to use for a long, long time, and my thought at that time was that this was a good value. Now you are recommending that I pay $36/annual for the rest of my life (which doesn't make anything free by the way). Again, I totally understand advancing your very good product line, but not at the expense of loyal past customers.

How about a grandfathering clause which allows a transition for former customers, rather than a $36 annual increase in stay a customer? Thanks for your help..

• Hi @Rharney,

We do still offer standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Windows and other platforms like macOS, Android, and iOS but there are no upgrade pricing this time around as we last offered paid upgrades 5 years ago in 2013. We are heavily recommending 1Password memberships because it is the best way to get 1Password apps on all platforms, what Greg meant is that you don't need to buy a separate license or upgrades if you have 1Password account. In other words, if you didn't have 1Password account, you'd have to pay 65$ a license for Windows (and Mac, other platforms separately). If you have 1Password account, then it's already included in the subscription fees, you'd get updated to 1Password 7 versions at no extra costs automatically on all of your computers and mobile devices and all future versions of 1Password. There are no licensing, no versions, no backups, no sync, etc to worry about, it's all handled for you automatically. If the account expires, you still can access your data in any 1Password apps, you just won't be able to modify anything. We're just trying to be clear here because some 1Password members bought a separate license when they don't need to.

If you want to upgrade to 1Password 7, you can purchase the license for 1Password 7 via the 1Password menu > Purchase License in 1Password 7 app itself. When you open an existing vault with 1Password 7, it'll present a window about how to sign up for 1Password membership or get a license instead.

Of course, you're not required to buy 1Password 7 but if you want to use future features including support for updated browsers and OS, a new version will be required. Part of the costs is the continuous improvements to 1Password, including its security and maintaining support for new browsers and OS.

We did update 1Password 4 for free to add Native Messaging, so that it'd work with some of the browsers for another few years and it'll get any critical security updates as needed.

Free Trial 1 Password 2",

You have to enter your license manually when you install 1Password 4, you can do so via the Help Menu > Enter License Key.

What that title means: you're currently in a vault called: 1Password 2. If you open a different vault like Work, it'd say 1Password Trial - Work.

How about a grandfathering clause which allows a transition for former customers, rather than a $36 annual increase in stay a customer? Thanks for your help..

I'm not sure I understand, can you clarify what you wish this clause would do? We already include the first month free for everyone to try it out.

However, all customers are our customers, we don't consider you as a "former" customer just because you do not wish to use 1Password.com, we're still offering 1Password licenses for those that wants that instead.

• Rharney
    Rharney
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. You guys are a high class company even though I don't agree with your marketing strategy. Have a great day.

• You're welcome and you have a great day too!

This discussion has been closed.