Opening 1Password 6 vaults in 1Password 7

Options
gjerman
gjerman
Community Member

I've just 'upgraded' from a standalone 1Password 6 licence to a subscription and 1Password 7. I have to say the migration process was not straightforward and so far I have been very disappointed and unimpressed.

In 1Password 6 I had to vaults, the Primary vault for active data and a Stale vault for old/unused passwords etc. Both were sync'd via Dropbox. 1Password 6 on my main iMac opened them both and my MBA and iPhone only used the Primary vault. Everything worked well with no issues.

Today I subscribed and upgraded to 1Password 7 on the iMac - this is where my problems began. I now have new Personal vault, which to start with only had 3 stock 'starter kit' items. The Personal vault did not contain the 400+ items from the 1Password 6 Primary vault.

I've jumped through various hoops so my memory of exactly what I did is vague, but eventually I managed to copy the 400+ Primary vault items into the main Personal vault. Great! I then closed the 1Password 6 Primary vault since I don't need it any more.

However, I cannot figure who to open the 1Password 6 Stale vault in 1Password 7. I don't want to import the stale items into the main Personal vault, but keep it as a standalone Stale vault that i can move items from the Personal vault when they are no longer needed, rather than deleting them.

How do I open the 1Password 6 Stale vault (or any other v6 vault) in 1Password 7? Double clicking the Stale.opvault raises the error "Can't open keychain. Importing from keychains is not currently supported in vaults from 1Password accounts.".

This is very frustrating. I can't believe how difficult this 'upgrade' process has been.

Gavin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• chadseld
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi gjerman,

I'm sorry the upgrade didn't go smoothly.

Here is what to do:

1. Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced.
    2. Enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Enter your password.

Now you will have your 1Password Personal vault, and an empty non-syncing Primary vault.

1. Double-click your stale .opvault file and it should open 1Password.

2. Create a new 'stale' vault for your 1Password account through the menu Account > (account name) > New Vault...

3. Copy items from your stand-alone stale vault to your new account-based stale vault. You can Select All and drag them to the new vault.

Now you can remove the stand-alone stale vault and the empty Primary vault...

1. Select your stale vault Vault > Switch to Vault > ...
    2. Delete your stale vault Vault > Delete Stale Vault...
    3. Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced
    4. Disable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Follow the on-screen instructions.

Now you should have two vaults, both attached to your 1Password.com account, and syncing between your devices.

I hope that helps.

• One more thing, once you have done that, take a look at 1Password > Preferences... > Vaults and make sure you have your settings as you would like. For example, you may wish to exclude the stale vault from the "All Vaults" list.

• gjerman
    gjerman
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, that's a bit convoluted! Followed your instructions and it worked, thanks.

FYI - when I first opened 1Password 7 it would have been nice, and expected, that it asked if I wanted to import my v6 vaults into my v7 subscription account.

Gavin

• Indeed. I'm not sure what went wrong with the initial import. There is room for improvement there certainly.

• ChrisJH
    ChrisJH
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I had a similar experience. I wasn't offered the option of migrating my v6 standalone vault when installing the v7 subscription version. I can see the old 1password.opvault file in my Dropbox Account but can't find a way to migrate the information into my new subscription account. As I want my old data to continue synching as before, I'm thinking I shouldn't try following the instructions you've provided above. On the other hand, I'm not sure what to do.

I've had no luck getting support via email (support ID:#LXQ-69147-415) and have no desire to open a Twitter account so hope this support channel will be more useful. Considering this is a subscription service, it should be possible to obtain support via more direct contact such and telephone or chat.

I currently have v7 installed in macOS 10.13.5 but have left my various iOS devices alone pending a resolution of this problem. Right now I'm thinking I may have to ditch 1Password altogether after being a satisfied customer for many years.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ChrisJH! I'm sorry for the trouble.

I wasn't offered the option of migrating my v6 standalone vault when installing the v7 subscription version.

I'm really curious to hear the exact steps you took, since it quite literally shouldn't be possible to do this. However, it appears my colleague Laura is assisting you before I even got to this post, so let's keep the conversation going via email, if you don't mind. :)

ref: LXQ-69147-415

• PaulDBL
    PaulDBL
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as gjerman and support has been almost completely absent. Will be looking at other options going forward.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @PaulDBL! I'm sorry for the delay in our response. We answer user emails in the order we receive them, and lately, there's been a large surge in requests. I was able to find your email and I've replied. Let's keep the conversation going via email instead of in this public forum, for your privacy. Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.